Oceania v Europe 1984

Damien

I came across this earlier and it is a match I had never heard of previously, even google shows little, and I'd love some more information if anyone has it. The Oceania team looks to be a great team with a great kit and I've found that Oceania beat Europe 54-4. One link shows that Ellery Hanley, Des Drummond and Joel Roosebrouck played for Europe but I've not got a clue who the others were:

I'd love to see footage of this match. It is a bit like those "Rest of the World" games of years gone by, or the more recent "All Stars" matches. That Oceania squad looks really strong.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

The Oceania squad was: Wally Lewis, Gene Miles, Craig Young, Ray Price, Steve Mortimer, Wayne Pearce, Kerry Boustead (Australia); Mark Graham, Robin Alfeld, Dean Bell, Gary Prohm, Hugh McGahan, Kevin and Howie Tamati (New Zealand); David Norfa, Ekin Togila (Papua New Guinea). Coach, Graham Lowe (New Zealand).

20 hours ago, Farmduck said:

The Oceania squad was: Wally Lewis, Gene Miles, Craig Young, Ray Price, Steve Mortimer, Wayne Pearce, Kerry Boustead (Australia); Mark Graham, Robin Alfeld, Dean Bell, Gary Prohm, Hugh McGahan, Kevin and Howie Tamati (New Zealand); David Norfa, Ekin Togila (Papua New Guinea). Coach, Graham Lowe (New Zealand).

Shane Varley the former workington town scrum half is also on that photo, one of my favourite players back in the day

18 minutes ago, Damien said:

That still is the most match action I've seen yet. I find it amazing that there is literally next to nothing about this match.

It was to celebrate 50 years of French RL so maybe there is more available in French.

On 09/09/2021 at 07:19, Damien said:

I came across this earlier and it is a match I had never heard of previously, even google shows little, and I'd love some more information if anyone has it. The Oceania team looks to be a great team with a great kit and I've found that Oceania beat Europe 54-4. One link shows that Ellery Hanley, Des Drummond and Joel Roosebrouck played for Europe but I've not got a clue who the others were:

This escaped me as well, and yet i remember the Queensland team touring here in 1983, but possibly because of HKR's victory over them, but i must state the Robins are not my team

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1983_Queensland_rugby_league_tour_of_Papua_New_Guinea_and_England

14 hours ago, Farmduck said:

It was to celebrate 50 years of French RL so maybe there is more available in French.

Yes I was hoping some of the French posters on here could shed some light. The match being in Paris, and not even the games French heartlands, and played to a small crowd probably doesn't help.

• 1 month later...

Just watched a bit and it sounds like (ex Wales RU and Cardiff Blue Dragons RL player) Tommy David was playing for the NH. 

I remember ... bad day on my TV ... very few people (about 1000) ...lawn lawn ... a pity, because there was a very strong australasian team and some good players in the european one... it could have been a great event ... but it collapsed as a bellow.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/09/2021 at 16:23, Gorbals said:

Surely it should have been Oceania vs Eurasia if it was in 1984?

And played at Arena 84 presumably.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Archived