"Rest of the World" Teams

Futtocks

Inspired by a recent post about the Oceania v Europe match.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Are there any more videos of ROTW sides? I know there were other games.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I do remember one PR photoshoot for a ROTW match that involved a very young Alfie Langer with a Page 3 "stunna" sitting on his lap.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

19 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

I do remember one PR photoshoot for a ROTW match that involved a very young Alfie Langer with a Page 3 "stunna" sitting on his lap.

Yep. I think it appeared in a book around the year 2000. 

He was wearing a yellow jersey with loads of different coloured hoops around the middle of I remember correctly.

23 minutes ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

Yep. I think it appeared in a book around the year 2000. 

He was wearing a yellow jersey with loads of different coloured hoops around the middle of I remember correctly.

I definitely saw the photo in Open Rugby or RLW or their Centenary special. I think Alfie looked slightly embarrassed. Maybe the RLW staff can dig the photo out.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Australia beat the Rest of the World in 1957, a week after they won the World cup final.

Great Britain played Rest of the World on a Monday night in October at Odsal, 2 days after beating the Aussies at the same venue in the 1960 World Cup Final.

Kiwis played a rest of the world team in Narbonne on their 1985 tour.

The "Other Nationalities" team was a regular thing back in the day. I remember them being included in the county championship competition with Yorkshire, Lancashire & Cumbria once in the mid 70's.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

4 minutes ago, Derwent said:

The "Other Nationalities" team was a regular thing back in the day. I remember them being included in the county championship competition with Yorkshire, Lancashire & Cumbria once in the mid 70's.

Twice I think. They drew against Yorkshire in the 1975-76 fixture, but didn't win any of their games.

They won the European Championship twice in the 1950s too.

12 minutes ago, Scubby said:

The ARL Kangaroos played a RoW team in 1996 I think as part of the SL War stand off. IIRC Jason Robinson and Gary Connolly turned out for the World Team?

Edit: Found it was 1997

https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/matches/australia-vs-rest-of-the-world-1997/australia-vs-rest-of-the-world.html

This was on YouTube too but I can no longer find it.

Archived