Sat 11-Sun 12 Sept: The Betfred League 1 Match Thread

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An actual period of pressure from West Wales, although it came to nought.

Ritson gets MotM, to nobody's surprise.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

It sounds a bit churlish (alright, it is a bit churlish), but I thought that the Cru looked slightly flat today, although it was a workmanlike performance against a willing but limited Skolars side that with a bit more luck could at least have avoided the dreaded nil. Never mind, onward and hopefully upward with fingers crossed for a Keighley win tomorrow.

Just back from Crusaders, another enjoyable day out and game. Know it was only Skolars, no offence, but they are going well. If Keighley manage to beat Doncaster tomorrow then Cru get a home play off game I think.

Did plan to buy some merchandise today as admission was free and they set up a stand before the games but the guy with all the gear in his car had apparently gone off to play in a Masters game somewhere. Simultaneoulsly disappointed and amused.

38 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

Just back from Crusaders, another enjoyable day out and game. Know it was only Skolars, no offence, but they are going well. If Keighley manage to beat Doncaster tomorrow then Cru get a home play off game I think.

Did plan to buy some merchandise today as admission was free and they set up a stand before the games but the guy with all the gear in his car had apparently gone off to play in a Masters game somewhere. Simultaneoulsly disappointed and amused.

in all honesty, I don't think there's that much merch left...... unless you can fit in a 8-11 y-o pink for breast cancer shirt 😉

I'm with Chronicler, Cru weren't on top form today, but they did a number on Skolars  with what looked to be a slightly under-strength team. Still, the team ethic was there, which at this point in the season can go a long, long way 🙂  Can it get us promoted? Heart says maybe, head says maybe not, but I don't think if we miss out it'll be from lack of trying their hearts out on the pitch 🙂

cru... Cru.... CRU-SA-DERS!!!!!

cru....Cru.....CRUSADERS!!!!!!

51 minutes ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

It sounds a bit churlish (alright, it is a bit churlish), but I thought that the Cru looked slightly flat today, although it was a workmanlike performance against a willing but limited Skolars side that with a bit more luck could at least have avoided the dreaded nil. Never mind, onward and hopefully upward with fingers crossed for a Keighley win tomorrow.

Spot on with your comments Steve. With the dropped balls, knock ons etc we blew quite a few more chances. Still it’s nice to win by 44 and know that we should have done better. Skolars worked hard but are lacking leadership and creativity.

14 minutes ago, FearNothing said:

in all honesty, I don't think there's that much merch left...... unless you can fit in a 8-11 y-o pink for breast cancer shirt 😉

I'm with Chronicler, Cru weren't on top form today, but they did a number on Skolars  with what looked to be a slightly under-strength team. Still, the team ethic was there, which at this point in the season can go a long, long way 🙂  Can it get us promoted? Heart says maybe, head says maybe not, but I don't think if we miss out it'll be from lack of trying their hearts out on the pitch 🙂

cru... Cru.... CRU-SA-DERS!!!!!

Not even a mug? Damn! 😢 Well, explains why it fit in a car boot.

What impressed me most today was the defence, worked hard to keep Skolars out even when the game was well won. Hopefully a reaction to last week's lapses at Keighley.

Good luck to Keighley tomorrow, I'll be back again next week if Cru get a home tie.

Anyone know how many were at either game today?

Also I hate the fact I’m saying this as it’s a massive shame that things aren’t working out for them, but I’m starting to think WWR should be in an amateur league. Where would they be in the NCL, certainly not in the top two divisions? 

So, now the top 6  are decided, the only thing left to do is sort out the places 3-5...

We're going to be 4th, or 3rd if Donny lose or draw.

If cougars win, they'll go 4th and donny slip to 5th

Hunslet stay 6th irrespective, as do Worky stay 2nd irrespective....

Just now, Eddie said:

Also I hate the fact I’m saying this as it’s a massive shame that things aren’t working out for them, but I’m starting to think WWR should be in an amateur league. Where would they be in the NCL, certainly not in the top two divisions? 

I get where you're coming from, but consider the improvement they've made this year...

OK, they drew a game this year and won one last year, but look at the points diff. they have achieved - last year they were over -1000 pts diff., this year they've got that down to -704.... that's a hell of an achievement in one year, and who knows it may have been better if not for covid. If they can keep that momentum going, and stay in L1, that can only be good for bringing Welsh players through to semi-pro and maybe full pro.  

The way I see tomorrow in terms of percentages is if Keighley beat then Dons they swap places from 3rd to 5th. Crusaders are 4th regardless. I think that's right but I'm working on mental arithmetic. Regardless the game at Keepmoat tomorrow has got me very nervous. I don't mean Eagles v Swinton btw. God only knows why we change our kickoff time to accommodate them. Glad to see the back of them but that's a different story.

There was a great atmosphere in Barrow tonight.

1922 people in attendance.

West Wales were on hiding to nothing and the score line reflects that BUT, ask the bust up Barrow players if they had been in a game. There will be a lot of sore Barrow Raiders players tomorrow.

Not only that but despite a long journey ahead of the tonight WWR joined in the party. The guy on the Karoake was pretty impressive.

Well done everyone at WWR for trying and never giving up. You were a credit to yourselves and rugby league despite the naysayers on here saying that they were a disgrace. I wish I had the gonads you lot have.0

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

36 minutes ago, Rob Nash said:

The way I see tomorrow in terms of percentages is if Keighley beat then Dons they swap places from 3rd to 5th. Crusaders are 4th regardless. I think that's right but I'm working on mental arithmetic. Regardless the game at Keepmoat tomorrow has got me very nervous. I don't mean Eagles v Swinton btw. God only knows why we change our kickoff time to accommodate them. Glad to see the back of them but that's a different story.

Who do you mean if not Sheffield?

9 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Who do you mean if not Sheffield?

Read what I said. 

I meant which game has got me nervous. 

I don't like the fact that we get a fee from Sheffield using the Keepmoat dictating our kick off times. I honestly hope we're charging them through the nose. They are not our friends.

56 minutes ago, Rob Nash said:

Keighley can't catch Crusaders now.

If Doncaster win tomorrow it will be Dons 3rd (67.65%0, Cru 4th (64.70%), Keighley 5th (58.33%)

If Keighley win it will be Cru 3rd (64.70%), Keighley 4th (63.89%), Dons 5th (61.76%)

If it's a draw, Cru 3rd (64.70%), Dons 4th (64.70%), Keighley 5th (58.33%) Cru would finish above Dons on points difference.

For all the latest news on North Wales Crusaders, please click on the link below to the new club website.

https://www.nwcrusaders.co.uk/

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

1922 at Barrow 

30 minutes ago, fearnowt said:

Keighley can't catch Crusaders now.

If Doncaster win tomorrow it will be Dons 3rd (67.65%0, Cru 4th (64.70%), Keighley 5th (58.33%)

If Keighley win it will be Cru 3rd (64.70%), Keighley 4th (63.89%), Dons 5th (61.76%)

If it's a draw, Cru 3rd (64.70%), Dons 4th (64.70%), Keighley 5th (58.33%) Cru would finish above Dons on points difference.

Exactly, we did this the other night @Rob Nash 😄

3 hours ago, Eddie said:

Haven't seen anything on our game, nothing on faceslap  page and I don't do ****tter. Anyone else seen the attendance?

Must admit I don't think it was massive, maybe 600-ish?

9 hours ago, FearNothing said:

Haven't seen anything on our game, nothing on faceslap  page and I don't do ****tter. Anyone else seen the attendance?

Must admit I don't think it was massive, maybe 600-ish?

The crowd looked similar to the Rochdale game, so yes about 600 or thereabouts.

I'm not convinced by the playing on Saturdays experiment. From a purely selfish point of view, it allowed me to attend the Rochdale game but I've spoken to several people who have not been able to attend. The clash with Wrexham FC's home game knocked a few off the gate, so at the very least they need to avoid fixture clashes with Wrexham.

Travelled on the train yesterday for a change, it's quite an easy walk from the station to the ground, only about 20 minutes. Quite a nice town centre in Colwyn Bay, plenty of places to eat but not many pubs, and of the four pubs we visited, two of them had no draught beer!

Anyway, nice to secure the top four finish. It's now up to Doncaster and Keighley to decide who is playing who next week.

For all the latest news on North Wales Crusaders, please click on the link below to the new club website.

https://www.nwcrusaders.co.uk/

3 hours ago, fearnowt said:

The crowd looked similar to the Rochdale game, so yes about 600 or thereabouts.

I'm not convinced by the playing on Saturdays experiment. From a purely selfish point of view, it allowed me to attend the Rochdale game but I've spoken to several people who have not been able to attend. The clash with Wrexham FC's home game knocked a few off the gate, so at the very least they need to avoid fixture clashes with Wrexham.

Think you're right about Saturdays.... there's always been a few who do both sports, so avoiding the clash makes far more sense 🙂

Archived