Fri 10 Sept: SL: St Helens v Leeds Rhinos KO 19:45 (TV)

Who will win?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• St Helens
    • Leeds Rhinos

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/09/21 at 19:15

Anyway, all the match thread trolling aside, it was what it was.

A semi-depleted Saints side disrupted during the game coming up against a very depleted Leeds team that showed a poor attitude in defence (case in point being Welsby's try where it was less about poor defensive skill and more about not even being interested in making a tackle or working hard as a unit).

It's always nice putting 40 on Leeds regardless of the team out, but I think getting the last 10 minutes of the Catalans game out of our system is the main thing really.

Being dominant for large periods against Warrington and Catalans, and showing we're capable of putting plenty of points on the board (something we've rarely done under Woolf even when comfortable), is a pretty good position to be in at this point in the season.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Moove said:

Anyway, all the match thread trolling aside, it was what it was.

A semi-depleted Saints side disrupted during the game coming up against a very depleted Leeds team that showed a poor attitude in defence (case in point being Welsby's try where it was less about poor defensive skill and more about not even being interested in making a tackle or working hard as a unit).

It's always nice putting 40 on Leeds regardless of the team out, but I think getting the last 10 minutes of the Catalans game out of our system is the main thing really.

Being dominant for large periods against Warrington and Catalans, and showing we're capable of putting plenty of points on the board (something we've rarely done under Woolf even when comfortable), is a pretty good position to be in at this point in the season.

I thought Saints were excellent to be fair, it was clear from the kick they were up for it.

oh and the trolling on the match threads is getting very very tedious isn’t it

Dominant performance by Saints. Not the most exciting spectacle, but that happens sometimes. Walmsley was immense. Must have been inspired by James Graham with that chasing back moment. I thought Myler was good early on. He made some decent catches. Good finishes by Grace and Knowles, although I suspect Jones-Buchanan won't be happy with the defensive side of things.

I heard Annies song before the match. I know Sheffield United have their 'night out in Sheffield' version - do Saints have a similar thing?

3 hours ago, 17 stone giant said:

I heard Annies song before the match. I know Sheffield United have their 'night out in Sheffield' version - do Saints have a similar thing?

Impressed you've managed never to hear that before !

5 hours ago, 17 stone giant said:

Dominant performance by Saints. Not the most exciting spectacle, but that happens sometimes. Walmsley was immense. Must have been inspired by James Graham with that chasing back moment. I thought Myler was good early on. He made some decent catches. Good finishes by Grace and Knowles, although I suspect Jones-Buchanan won't be happy with the defensive side of things.

Saints localised version with different lyrics has been around for a long long time mate.

They might not be to everyone’s tastes!

And you’ll be asking what a split, fish and curry is next.

15 minutes ago, M j M said:

BTW the Chuckle Brothers bantering about chocolate and crisps demonstrated in a single moment why there needs to be a complete clear out of the Sky commentary team. 

I tend to find there’s little value added by most commentators in broadcasting these days and the old style rules about only speaking to add something have long gone.

This I think is true of other sports as well as Sky’s Super League so increasingly I just filter out the commentary mentally and try to form my own opinion where possible relying only on the commentary to fill the odd gap in knowledge on the events unfolding.

I think as Sky’s production team, like most, will be a family type affair, I think it’s unlikely there will too much radical change.  Your best hope of that is if the secondary rights go to a broadcaster who decides they’re really going to present their ten games in a different way to Sky and BBC.

I personally hope someone gets the coverage who can do for us what Channel 4 did for the NFL in the 1980s  and bring the game to a wider audience.

2 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I tend to find there’s little value added by most commentators in broadcasting these days and the old style rules about only speaking to add something have long gone.

This I think is true of other sports as well as Sky’s Super League so increasingly I just filter out the commentary mentally and try to form my own opinion where possible relying only on the commentary to fill the odd gap in knowledge on the events unfolding.

I think as Sky’s production team, like most, will be a family type affair, I think it’s unlikely there will too much radical change.  Your best hope of that is if the secondary rights go to a broadcaster who decides they’re really going to present their ten games in a different way to Sky and BBC.

I personally hope someone gets the coverage who can do for us what Channel 4 did for the NFL in the 1980s  and bring the game to a wider audience.

What  - use the dangerous brothers to present?

10 hours ago, Moove said:

Can't tell whether you're trolling or just haven't been paying attention for the last 15 years. Aside from under Holbrook (particularly his first full season) it's been a while since I've heard Saints fans describe our own team as 'the entertainers'.

There was absolutely nothing entertaining about Saints under Cunningham, Simmons, Potter, Brown (GF win aside, loved that). Even Anderson gets criticised on entertainment value by some these days.

I disagree they were very entertaining in the 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011 Grand Finals 😉

12 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I will just echo John's words from his post on the 7th of August... the trolling of match threads is getting a little tedious. 

It's all threads on the forum these days.

Quite a few on here... remind me of a Robin Williams line in Good Morning  Veitnam.

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

On 10/09/2021 at 21:30, Padge said:

Wolfe's days will be numbered if he can only come up with a plan of "give it to the big lad". Saints supporters will not like not being able to crow about being "the entertainers".

What a dull depressing game, and I am normally upbeat about any game.

I think you are slightly unfair to the big lads. Rarely have carthorses had such a chance to practice for an appearance in the Man v Horse event.😃😃

On 11/09/2021 at 04:37, M j M said:

I did wonder what the hell Wells was on about pre game predicting a Leeds win or a Saints wobble. This result was almost inevitable although some Leeds players didn't help themselves.

I can't listen to Wells ,he loves to hear his own voice.

On 10/09/2021 at 22:19, sweaty craiq said:

It’s little wonder Sky are dropping the cash, we will be lucky to have a tv deal soon if that’s how the games premium fixtures are played out

maybe... but it was only a week ago when people on here were praising the exciting games for Sky.

We seem as fans to swing subjectively from one extreme to another...

Its as if you don't get boring, rubbish or thrashing in games in any other sport... even one's that Sky spend billions on.

Archived