What are you scared of/phobias.

Just thought I'd ask. I'm scared of heights and later on today I have to give backward on a new job due to fact that part of the job entails going over a narrow footbridge over a busy road. I wasn't aware of this at the time or should I say that it was a narrow footbridge. I went over once and was almost in tears. Told the new line manager and it was dismissed as I've never heard that before. 

And yes I know I'll have some jokey responses.

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

I'm actually the complete opposite with heights, I love heights, I often tell people I prefer being up high than on the ground. I found this out when I first went up the Fernsehturm in Berlin many years ago. I went up at night and it was a truly incredible experience. Now when I go travelling I tend to pick places where there is a tall building to go up, or at least that's one of the selling points anyway! 

In terms of fears, I used to be ridiculously petrified of spiders but I seem to have grown out of that as I've got older. Since I was a kid I've been scared of dogs and I think this stems from when I was really young and my brother was badly mauled and hospitalised by a neighbour's rottweiler. I'm also very jumpy around bees and wasps and this is because I have never actually been stung by one and my mother is massively allergic and can even die from a string from one so I guess I'm just very aware that that allergy could have been passed on to me as well and I don't particularly want to put it to the test. 

4 hours ago, Mumby Magic said:

Just thought I'd ask. I'm scared of heights and later on today I have to give backward on a new job due to fact that part of the job entails going over a narrow footbridge over a busy road. I wasn't aware of this at the time or should I say that it was a narrow footbridge. I went over once and was almost in tears. Told the new line manager and it was dismissed as I've never heard that before. 

And yes I know I'll have some jokey responses.

I get what you mean. I'm not quite as affected by those sort of footbridges as you are, but I never really feel safe on them either.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

40 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

I have a fear of posting on sports forums I can just never finish my

istockphoto-1131122825-1024x1024.jpg

As well as a fear of posting on forums so I can never finish my posts, I have a fobia of the word fobia, that's why I had to spell it with an F , I just scream if I see the word pho

72958923.jpg

Going to the doctors / hospital . If you’ve had bad to  terrible  times , news etc over illness  I found the mindset never ever changes . Every visit however utterly routine just sends me into the same state . I’m told that it’s lived experience , a mindset that that place equals bad and every time it’s gonna be the same , bad news . I’m also told it’s a defence mechanism , wherein if you’re told bad news you can say ‘ I expected that ‘ …. The irony is often the first thing they do when I walk in hoping I don’t collapse and can keep breathing is take my blood pressure .  You’ve seen that carry on film when it bursts off the scale?  The mind is a weird thing , can be your best mate and you’re worst enemy. 

working on high scaffolding a lot its second nature although i must say take the handrail away during the strip and it all seems very different even though you will walk up and down a hundred times without touching it- all psychological i suppose

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

The height one is a strange one , it's the fear you are going to jump , basically just to find out what it feels like , I first felt this as a child visiting the viewing area at Manchester airport , I looked over the parapet wall ( which is far too high to accidentally fall over ) and had to back away 

I now work on conservatory roof with no safety rails or anything , but get me up high and I'm shaking like a leaf , although occaisionally I've been up high on scaffold , I'm fine as long as I'm focussing on what I'm doing , but if I'm waiting for materials , then the sweating starts and I've got to grab a handrail 

Weird 

Had the fear of heights too, started climbing to get over that fear and to a large extent did, at least on rock and ice.  Whenever the leg shakes would start it would be called warming up the rubber on the rock shoes like the racing guys do with the tyres lol.

Still, I feel a lot safer a few hundred metres up a rock face on skinny footholds with a 9mm rope than I ever have on a set of ladders!

10 hours ago, CanaBull said:

Had the fear of heights too, started climbing to get over that fear and to a large extent did, at least on rock and ice.  Whenever the leg shakes would start it would be called warming up the rubber on the rock shoes like the racing guys do with the tyres lol.

Still, I feel a lot safer a few hundred metres up a rock face on skinny footholds with a 9mm rope than I ever have on a set of ladders!

I do a bit of rock climbing and have no problems with heights usually but I helped my grandad a few years back paint the roof whilst standing on some ladders. He told me he thought I would be used to it, I told him that in general the rock doesn't flex and move!

One I forgot is I am massively claustrophobic, at work when I need to get equipment from one floor to another I stick the equipment in the lift and send it down and then I walk down the stairs. I was watching an old episode of Time Team recently and they were investigating some skeletons that were found in an extremely narrow cave. I had to turn it off because everytime they went in the cave I felt so uncomfortable, that's how bad that one is. 

Heights, but only in certain circumstances. 

Toronto two years ago, went up the tower. I just could not hack the glass floor. I knew exactly what was happening to me and why... sweaty palms, anxiety, increased heart beat, chest pounding, breathing fast and heavy... but unable to prevent it. I was OK anywhere else. 

I held a glider pilots licence many years ago and it never worried me.

I've worked half a mile underground and on top of new builds many floors up, neither have bothered me, the most scary thing in my life has been my big (5`2") sister, because of her I have never smoked or had a tattoo 🙂 

Junior Leaders 1971 (Note no safety)

Confidence course.jpg

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

On 09/09/2021 at 20:30, graveyard johnny said:

working on high scaffolding a lot its second nature although i must say take the handrail away during the strip and it all seems very different even though you will walk up and down a hundred times without touching it- all psychological i suppose

Good to see self-preservation kicking in, it keeps you alive.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

I am terrified of heights.  Around the year 2000 I was completing a Post Grad course on day release and we had a field trip to London.  Nobody said that part of the visit was to go to the top of Canary Wharf.  I clung on to the rail in the lift for dear life whilst thinking of the drop if the cable snapped.  On the observation deck I sat on the seating near the lifts pretending to act bored whilst bl00dy idiots put their foreheads against the window so they could see the street below.  Then I cra@pped myself as we descended in the lift.

It was only when we reached ground floor and exited the lift that the guide said ‘these lifts are fitted with six independent cables so if five snap the lift is still safe’.  I thought why the hell didn’t he mention that half an hour ago.

On 09/09/2021 at 15:49, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I'm actually the complete opposite with heights, I love heights, I often tell people I prefer being up high than on the ground. 

I suppose being a goose this is a good thing.

Personally I cannot stomach heights, even have trouble watching TV documentaries when they are covering high structures.

Just because you think everyone hates you doesn't mean they don't.

4 hours ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

I clung on to the rail in the lift for dear life whilst thinking of the drop if the cable snapped.

Since 1852, when Elisha Otis invented a ratchet-like mechanism that comes into play if the cable(s) break, a lift is actually held more securely if a cable fails. You may be stuck in the same small box as everyone else's farts 'til someone comes along to get you out, but you are not in any more danger, even if five cables snap.

Of course, that doesn't help with an irrational fear.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

17 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Since 1852, when Elisha Otis invented a ratchet-like mechanism that comes into play if the cable(s) break, a lift is actually held more securely if a cable fails. You may be stuck in the same small box as everyone else's farts 'til someone comes along to get you out, but you are not in any more danger, even if five cables snap.

Of course, that doesn't help with an irrational fear.

This situation is where my claustrophobia would kick in. I'm fine when I know I can get out of somewhere but of course here I would be stuck in the lift. The main thing though would be that I would feel as if I couldn't breathe and would start to feel incredibly dry and dehydrated.

As I say, I am fine when I know I can get out of somewhere, like when I went in a submarine in Hamburg because you entered at the rear, walked along one, straight corridor and left at the front so I knew there was a clear route to get out. This is different to the cave system I mentioned earlier in the thread because although there would be a way of getting out of the cave, if I was a long way into the system I would be scared of getting lost and thus not being able to ever get out again. 

Archived