Secondary TV contract - BBC 🆚

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Ultimately the rights are ours, we can choose how to sell them, we sold them to Sky for a while and I think we went too far with that. 

It's a bit like many other things we've done, we bundle them together to add perceived value. 

The move to the BBC in 2009/2010 was a little out of the blue, so fair play for them having the balls to do it. 

You are quite right what happens to the rights are the games choice but from what I recall Sky wanted exclusivity over as much RL as possible and made it very difficult to move internationals. The original Super League deal definitely had internationals bundled in and was an all or nothing offer. As far as I recall some of the future deals meant that losing some of that exclusivity meant disproportionate drops in the SL TV deal. The one time I do recall the RFL playing hard ball on the TV deal it resulted in a reduced offer from Sky and less money.

I wouldn't be too hard on the RFL as for many years I don't think it had much choice and was between a rock and a hard stone. I actually think it was only an OFCOM ruling around Pay TV and competition, around the time internationals first started to be shown on the BBC with the 1 England international a season only on the BBC initially, that packages began to be split up in the manner we see today.

54 minutes ago, Ullman said:

ITV4's cycling coverage is top quality. Would love to see them showing Super League.

Completely agree, I’d love to see what they could do with rugby league. I was willing Ned Boulting to mention the HJ in his commentary today as the riders went past but you could only really see it from the aerial shots.

"I'm a traditionalist and I don"t think you'd ever see me coaching an Australian national side!"  Lee Radford, RLW March 2016

Proud to be a member of the TRL woke claque

13 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Or Barry and Terry - 6 and two 3s.

The three-eyed monster.

If it is going to a terrestrial broadcaster, showing it on a HD channel should be a major consideration in the deal.

A combination of these 10 games, plus the Sky YouTube streams (which seems to be one game per month since that started) gives us a fair bit of free SL coverage.

As far as the SLS is concerned, now that SL highlights are appearing fairly promptly on YouTube, I'm not sure it has much of a purpose any more, unless it gets a good schedule slot (and it's clear that won't ever happen). Many of us campaigned to make the programme available nationally, but with highlights on demand, and the other non-chat content already available on the BBC website, it is probably not being watched much these days.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

4 minutes ago, latchford albion said:

Completely agree, I’d love to see what they could do with rugby league. I was willing Ned Boulting to mention the HJ in his commentary today as the riders went past but you could only really see it from the aerial shots.

Little different though, the cameras for the tour de France are all set up and paid for, for RL they would have that cost

1 hour ago, Damien said:

In addition to the points made by Dave if Toulouse can get in Super League and a French TV deal can be found that goes some way to covering their funding then things begin to look much rosier. The game has to take advantage though.

By covering their funding do you mean that all the French TV money goes into the overall pot with all funds shared 12 ways or just the amount over whatever is 1/11th of the Sky deal or that Toulouse and/ or Catalans keep the full amount?

BTW I assume you mean the first option?

2 hours ago, Whippet13 said:

Talk of a French TV deal is interesting, Catalans winning the LLS will help there and will probably make a big difference if Toulouse get promoted.

I hope Toulouse are not automatically promoted. As a Featherstone fan I want FAIR play.

12 minutes ago, LeeF said:

By covering their funding do you mean that all the French TV money goes into the overall pot with all funds shared 12 ways or just the amount over whatever is 1/11th of the Sky deal or that Toulouse and/ or Catalans keep the full amount?

Goes into the pot to be shared.

13 minutes ago, LeeF said:

Or do they get to keep it, like the 11 European clubs kept Toronto’s share of the English tv deal? 

29 minutes ago, David Dockhouse Host said:

Little different though, the cameras for the tour de France are all set up and paid for, for RL they would have that cost

I could be completely wrong, but from my recollection the reports of the new sky deal said it involves them having cameras at all matches with the feed going to the FTA broadcaster for these 10 games.

As I say, I could have completed misunderstood that though.

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

Or do they get to keep it, like the 11 European clubs kept Toronto’s share of the English tv deal? 

I get your point but as Catalans have got Sky money from day 1 from a central pot I think its only fair that is continued if they bring anything in. 

2 minutes ago, Damien said:

That would be absurd, it's literally saying you can't have our money but we can have yours.

1 minute ago, LeeF said:

I agree it is absurd but I wouldn’t put it past them 

You're both right.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

21 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

I could be completely wrong, but from my recollection the reports of the new sky deal said it involves them having cameras at all matches with the feed going to the FTA broadcaster for these 10 games.

As I say, I could have completed misunderstood that though.

That would be great, hope that's the case 

27 minutes ago, David Dockhouse Host said:

Very true but the post you quoted was a specific reference to ITV4's coverage of the Tour of Britain. 

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

3 hours ago, LeeF said:

Anyone else expecting, based on the current powers that be, for the 7 figure deal to include pence so only to be for £80,976.34 

s-l400.jpg

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

4 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

Is there any chance that the Championship could get some sort of deal to broadcast some of their games?

Haven't they been trying for years? Maybe a deal like they had with Premier or similar 

Archived