Secondary TV contract - BBC šŸ†š

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ā€œSUPER LEAGUE bosses hope to spark a seven-figure bidding war over their free-to-air secondary TV contract.

SunSport understands two broadcasters have indicated how much they would be willing to offer for ten matches a year.

Rugby leagueā€™s top flight is able to negotiate another deal under the terms of the reduced main Sky one, which is worth Ā£24million a year for 2022 and 2023 ā€” down from Ā£40million a year.

It was assumed the BBC would pick it up but it is understood another channel is interested.

After both indicated informally how much they would be willing to offer, chiefs now hope to make them formal.

If both are keen, that could push up the bids and plug more of the Ā£16million-a-year shortfall.

Talks are also ongoing over sorting a TV deal in France, especially if Championship League Leadersā€™ Shield winners Toulouse win the Grand Final and are promoted.

There is no broadcasting arrangement across the ChannelĀ but Catalans Dragons also won the Super League titleā€.

1 minute ago, Scubby said:

Would be positive if it came off. But 10 games you are probably talking around Ā£2-3m max with a terrestrial broadcaster.Ā 

Thatā€™s much better than nowt, and as importantly terrestrial tv exposure would be great.Ā 

This would obviously be fantastic and was something that Ian Lenegan touched on in the Wigan fans forum.Ā 

Taking less money from Sky and getting games on FTA for a lesser amount was something that many have wanted for years. It has always been argued that money could be recouped through the increased value of sponsorship and that having wider coverage and more eyeballs could only benefit the game as a whole.

This move has obviouslyĀ not been by choiceĀ but it may be exactly the push and forced decision that the game needed.

If there's not much in it and the higher bidder isn't an easily accessible FTA channel then I hope we have the cojones to go with the lower bidder for the exposure.

We're an invisible sport a lot of the time and we need to address that.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.Ā (Terry Pratchett)

7 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

If there's not much in it and the higher bidder isn't an easily accessible FTA channel then I hope we have the cojones to go with the lower bidder for the exposure.

I doubt they would, theyā€™d go with free sports over the bbc if they were offering a tenner more.Ā 

Me personnel i hope its ITV they have showed through ITV4 willing to put the hours & effort into coverage take Tour De France 3 weeks all day coverage with evening highlights show only this week Tour of Britain all week. But will we the fans ever get told who the bidders are or will it all be behind closed doors & once again SKY will hold all the cards, lets face it they don't like competion.

Ā 

4 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Yep, FTA for godĀ“s sake . None of this second deal behind a paywall nonsense. BBC or Channel 5, start a regular 4 nations tournament to package with it and hey presto, you might see us claw back a few million squid .Ā 

Who would be the 4 nations?Ā 

16 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Ā 

8 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I doubt they would, theyā€™d go with free sports over the bbc if they were offering a tenner more.Ā 

To be fair, they moved England internationals from Sky to England around 15 years ago, and nobody will convince me that the BBC pay more than Sky would.Ā 

23 minutes ago, Damien said:

Ā 

This move has obviouslyĀ not been by choiceĀ but it may be exactly the push and forced decision that the game needed.

This is where the coverage of the new deal has been disappointing. It is clear that Sky have paid a lot less, but we haven't given them the same. We are getting a lot more, including streaming rights, terrestrial rights and broadcast quality coverage of every match. That stuff is all valuable, and whilst cash is a big challenge for us, this reduction being forced on us could end up being a great thing as I doubt we'd ever have done that off our own back.Ā 

Hopefully they are saving the detail for the season launch in 2022 as it could be part of a new exciting package.Ā 

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

This is where the coverage of the new deal has been disappointing. It is clear that Sky have paid a lot less, but we haven't given them the same. We are getting a lot more, including streaming rights, terrestrial rights and broadcast quality coverage of every match. That stuff is all valuable, and whilst cash is a big challenge for us, this reduction being forced on us could end up being a great thing as I doubt we'd ever have done that off our own back.Ā 

What do you mean lack of coverage in todays media ??? has i keep saying you can take a horse to water but you cant make him drink it.

Getting Rugby League on a free to air channel is significant for me.Ā  And I hope they make the decision to go with the best possible audience and presentation rather than just the highest bidder.

More profile for the game and its players is vital and a fresh production style will not go amiss either.

The eternal optimist in me says growing awareness via free to air Super League and then a successful World Cup at the end of 2022 would do wonders... but I have been down this route before!

"TheĀ history of the world is the history of the triumphĀ of the heartlessĀ overĀ the mindless." ā€” SirĀ Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic,Ā what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?"Ā ā€” Sam Harris

Needs to be terrestrial. Needs to include a highlights package MotD style from all the weekends games on a Sunday night and not the SLS being shunted around the schedules.Ā 

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

6 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Getting Rugby League on a free to air channel is significant for me.Ā  And I hope they make the decision to go with the best possible audience and presentation rather than just the highest bidder.

More profile for the game and its players is vital and a fresh production style will not go amiss either.

The eternal optimist in me says growing awareness via free to air Super League and then a successful World Cup at the end of 2022 would do wonders... but I have been down this route before!

I also think the 10 matches should be linked to mainstream highlights. I know the way we watch TV is different nowadays, but the shoddy scheduling of the SLS on the BBC sends quite a clear message about how they value the comp.Ā 

2 minutes ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

Needs to be terrestrial. Needs to include a highlights package MotD style from all the weekends games on a Sunday night and not the SLS being shunted around the schedules.Ā 

If you look at the likes of ITV4 they don't have to worry about the likes of Coronation Street or other main ITV shows.

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

I also think the 10 matches should be linked to mainstream highlights. I know the way we watch TV is different nowadays, but the shoddy scheduling of the SLS on the BBC sends quite a clear message about how they value the comp.Ā 

Lets not forget the BBC do a good job with the Challenge Cup.Ā  Ā It's a quality production so that would suggest they value RL.

The SLS, well at least they have a highlights of sorts show. I'm always surprised they bother.Ā  If I'm interested in a particular weeks I'll use iplayer.

Ā 

Archived