Secondary TV contract - BBC 🆚

25 minutes ago, Dave T said:

To be fair, they moved England internationals from Sky to England around 15 years ago, and nobody will convince me that the BBC pay more than Sky would. 

To be less fair, there was the farce of nobody buying that game versus Samoa and so we had a pilot programme of paid-for streaming.

I'm not convinced that Sky do necessarily see a value in paying extra for additional internationals.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

Talk of a French TV deal is interesting, Catalans winning the LLS will help there and will probably make a big difference if Toulouse get promoted.

I know you live over there mate and know she’s loads more about it, but has Catalans winning the LLS made the news anywhere outside of Perpignan? I’d be delighted if it has but would be interested to know? 

6 minutes ago, redjonn said:

Lets not forget the BBC do a good job with the Challenge Cup.   It's a quality production so that would suggest they value RL.

The SLS, well at least they have a highlights of sorts show. I'm always surprised they bother.  If I'm interested in a particular weeks I'll use iplayer.

The SLS is woeful by any standards, so dour, it’s almost as if they do it because they’re obliged to. 

6 minutes ago, redjonn said:

Lets not forget the BBC do a good job with the Challenge Cup.   It's a quality production so that would suggest they value RL.

The SLS, well at least they have a highlights of sorts show. I'm always surprised they bother.  If I'm interested in a particular weeks I'll use iplayer.

Yep but what do 90% of Rugby League fans complain about leading up to Challenge Cup weekend, lack of promotion on the BBC itself every year same old moan (you wouldn't know the BBC had the cup game on this weekend) even their flagship 60 secs would never mention it on Friday night.

25 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

Talk of a French TV deal is interesting, Catalans winning the LLS will help there and will probably make a big difference if Toulouse get promoted.

In addition to the points made by Dave if Toulouse can get in Super League and a French TV deal can be found that goes some way to covering their funding then things begin to look much rosier. The game has to take advantage though.

6 minutes ago, Eddie said:

The SLS is woeful by any standards, so dour, it’s almost as if they do it because they’re obliged to. 

I'm surprised they make any effort to be honest as I admittedly would guess the audience is minuscule - even if it was an excellent production.

Not sure what RL/SL do to discuss with the likes of the BBC or even Sky when it comes to our sports media shows.

41 minutes ago, Dave T said:

This is where the coverage of the new deal has been disappointing. It is clear that Sky have paid a lot less, but we haven't given them the same. We are getting a lot more, including streaming rights, terrestrial rights and broadcast quality coverage of every match. That stuff is all valuable, and whilst cash is a big challenge for us, this reduction being forced on us could end up being a great thing as I doubt we'd ever have done that off our own back. 

Hopefully they are saving the detail for the season launch in 2022 as it could be part of a new exciting package. 

I agree. It seems very reactive rather than proactive and I'm guessing that's why nothing else has been announced and why there is no real positive spin on it.

You are absolutely right though, the RFL should be absolutely owning the narrative and I have no doubt that other sports would be selling this, i.e the Sky reduction, as a great thing and their choice to diversify and get more coverage.

Certainly sounds interesting, and a definite positive for the sport. If the money being offered was similar you'd imagine they'd go with the BBC, due to their history together, but would love to be able to get another new broadcaster interested, which could be hugely beneficial in the long term. Would hope its Channel 4 with their recent coverage of union, though could obvs be ITV.

Important thing would be scheduling. Which of these potential broadcasters would be willing to give the game the kind of exposure we crave?

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

1 minute ago, redjonn said:

I'm surprised they make any effort to be honest as I admittedly would guess the audience is minuscule - even if it was an excellent production.

Not sure what RL/SL do to discuss with the likes of the BBC or even Sky when it comes to our sports media shows.

They’ve had that opening sequence for about 20 years, well it feels like it anyway. 

24 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

To be less fair, there was the farce of nobody buying that game versus Samoa and so we had a pilot programme of paid-for streaming.

I'm not convinced that Sky do necessarily see a value in paying extra for additional internationals.

They had a long history of international RL. That Samoa test came after we moved games away from them. 

Presentation is key.

I vote we dust off Tina Turner (she is only 81), get Alex Walmsley and Sam Kasiano to run around a beach in short shorts to Simply the Best and go all out for the Gen Z audience.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

They had a long history of international RL. That Samoa test came after we moved games away from them. 

Am aware.

But, and my memory may be faulty, once international rights were separate they showed no interest in showing them?

I think that's right.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

35 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I also think the 10 matches should be linked to mainstream highlights. I know the way we watch TV is different nowadays, but the shoddy scheduling of the SLS on the BBC sends quite a clear message about how they value the comp. 

I read someone say they can show it whenever they want from Sunday evening, it should be written in the contract whoever does show it does in a regular  nationwide slot.

The BBC do for the WSL football, which only has English clubs in.

Just now, gingerjon said:

Am aware.

But, and my memory may be faulty, once international rights were separate they showed no interest in showing them?

I think that's right.

Not quite right no.

They showed internationals until around 2010. They even shared rights on at least one 4N, but when the BBC are getting the England tests, it becomes a waste of time for them really. 

I support the RFL's approach on this. 

4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

For some years in the 2000s, around the early 3/4 nations, I recall Sky bundling in internationals with the SL TV deal. I think it took a bit of a fight to separate them and get them on the BBC. I may be recalling wrong though.

1 hour ago, Devon Ram said:

Me personnel i hope its ITV they have showed through ITV4 willing to put the hours & effort into coverage take Tour De France 3 weeks all day coverage with evening highlights show only this week Tour of Britain all week. But will we the fans ever get told who the bidders are or will it all be behind closed doors & once again SKY will hold all the cards, lets face it they don't like competion.

ITV4's cycling coverage is top quality. Would love to see them showing Super League.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Whoever it ends up being, assuming it's terrestrial we need to do everything we can to make those games events with decent attendances and off field presentation.

The only problem may be what rank games we are able to offer after Sky their options. If it's the 3rd choice of a weekend we will miss out on the blockbusters.

49 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I also think the 10 matches should be linked to mainstream highlights. I know the way we watch TV is different nowadays, but the shoddy scheduling of the SLS on the BBC sends quite a clear message about how they value the comp. 

If the BBC get the live coverage then they might well have a rethink about the farcical SLS scheduling.

Of course if it does go to the BBC they could easily be thinking BBC North or even the dreaded Red button....

17 minutes ago, Damien said:

For some years in the 2000s, around the early 3/4 nations, I recall Sky bundling in internationals with the SL TV deal. I think it took a bit of a fight to separate them and get them on the BBC. I may be recalling wrong though.

Ultimately the rights are ours, we can choose how to sell them, we sold them to Sky for a while and I think we went too far with that. 

It's a bit like many other things we've done, we bundle them together to add perceived value. 

The move to the BBC in 2009/2010 was a little out of the blue, so fair play for them having the balls to do it. 

17 minutes ago, M j M said:

Whoever it ends up being, assuming it's terrestrial we need to do everything we can to make those games events with decent attendances and off field presentation.

The only problem may be what rank games we are able to offer after Sky their options. If it's the 3rd choice of a weekend we will miss out on the blockbusters.

I think to get around that we may end up with "big weekends" whereby there are 3 attractive fixtures in a round ensuring Sky don't feel like they've been left out.

On the face of it, sounds good.

I've thought for a while now that if we are getting less money from Sky then being on FTA is a must. There is a cost to being behind the exclusive sky paywall and thankfully it looks like we have recognised that £25 million a year isn't that.

13 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

If the BBC get the live coverage then they might well have a rethink about the farcical SLS scheduling.

Of course if it does go to the BBC they could easily be thinking BBC North or even the dreaded Red button....

BBC Alba

Archived