Secondary TV contract - BBC 🆚

10 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Haven't they been trying for years? Maybe a deal like they had with Premier or similar 

Yeah I've heard it mentioned plenty of times. Would be good if they could get a deal, doesnt have to be worth much but would help raise the profile and possibly bring in some sponsorship 

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

Yep, FTA for god´s sake . None of this second deal behind a paywall nonsense. BBC or Channel 5, start a regular 4 nations tournament to package with it and hey presto, you might see us claw back a few million squid . 

My heart had a brief moment of being full with hope at this common-sense, much needed idea… alas, we’re dealing with RL here

42 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Haven't they been trying for years? Maybe a deal like they had with Premier or similar 

I was under the impression the rights were included in the last Sky deal as part of the whole middle 8's thing. I think next season is the first since they were on Premier that they could do it again. Doubt there's much money in it mind. 

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

3 hours ago, jamescolin said:

Knowing how RL minds work there will be some preference for Toulouse. Perhapsa home final game.

You do know that if Toulouse get to the final they will be at home. That’s literally the rules of the comp. 

43 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

You do know that if Toulouse get to the final they will be at home. That’s literally the rules of the comp. 

Have they announced that as a certainty now?

As I remember, when they set out how the championship season would work this year the RFL didn't announce whether the playoff final would be at a neutral venue or highest finishing team's home ground (I assume because changing covid restrictions could have meant changing the venue later in the season).

I can't recall an announcement ever being made on the final venue, but I could have missed it.

7 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Presentation is key.

I vote we dust off Tina Turner (she is only 81), get Alex Walmsley and Sam Kasiano to run around a beach in short shorts to Simply the Best and go all out for the Gen Z audience.

Remember the Extraordinary campaign for 2013? I thought that was brilliant. 

Any tie in with a terrestrial broadcaster must be complimented by a similar promo.

9 hours ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

I was under the impression the rights were included in the last Sky deal as part of the whole middle 8's thing. I think next season is the first since they were on Premier that they could do it again. Doubt there's much money in it mind. 

This is my understanding. Sky hold the rights to the Championship right now. They will cease to do so (again, my understanding) with this new deal.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, The Future is League said:

Will Fev go to France if they have to play Toulouse in Toulouse?

Well, I may be a little previous here. But I've already booked flights and a hotel for the final weekend.

This Fev fan is overjoyed that the final is in France.  I've badly missed my annual trip to Toulouse.

On 10/09/2021 at 10:41, The Future is League said:

Will Fev go to France if they have to play Toulouse in Toulouse?

Can't see why not ,surely the club and RL would pull out all stops to get it played ( that's if Fev get there)  nothing is certain these days.

33 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Someone else mentioned what awful games in terrible stadiums FTA will be left with if it's 3rd choice.  

All the more reason to go to 14 teams so BBC can show a full York, well attended Newcastle over an empty Huddersfield or Salford. 

It would be strategic to have target growth areas on at least some of the FTA coverage.

On 09/09/2021 at 22:10, RBKnight said:

We can have Rugby League Raw back 😀

Brilliant that - specially the episode when "Elton Welsby" cut over to Wigan dressing room at half time just in time to catch Alex Murphy tell a disappointing Wigan team "If you dont wanna try - - then can all just F*** O **"

Look on his face as camera came back to EW

2 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

Someone else mentioned what awful games in terrible stadiums FTA will be left with if it's 3rd choice.  

All the more reason to go to 14 teams so BBC can show a full York, well attended Newcastle over an empty Huddersfield or Salford. 

Didn't Newcastle v York last week draw a paltry crowd of 1100? Let them get established in the Championship first.

1 hour ago, ShropshireBull said:

A game with nothing to play for at the end of a covid hit season. 

With RL fans from SL clubs in attendance ? 

It doesn't matter , leave them alone and let them build their club at their pace , if they get there they will deserve it and be better for it 

7 hours ago, Derwent Parker said:

only if Super Greed get 80% of the money

You do realise how the current Super League TV deal has been split giving above and beyond to the lower divisions, more than ever, and certainly more than they'll get by themselves.

5 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

You do realise how the current Super League TV deal has been split giving above and beyond to the lower divisions, more than ever, and certainly more than they'll get by themselves.

Yes, but he said "Super Greed", which is an argument that trumps both rationality and facts.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived