Secondary TV contract - BBC 🆚

13 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

You do realise how the current Super League TV deal has been split giving above and beyond to the lower divisions, more than ever, and certainly more than they'll get by themselves.

"... giving above and beyond to the lower divisions..."

I'm wondreing if this is an almost univerally held opinion. Someone set it up at one time, so they must have believed in it.

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Cerulean said:

"... giving above and beyond to the lower divisions..."

I'm wondreing if this is an almost univerally held opinion. Someone set it up at one time, so they must have believed in it.

Nigel Wood did, enough Super League clubs appreciated the increase in their overall amount to go along with it - it also made newly reintroduced relegation seem less harsh of a financial penalty.

There is no way the distribution reflected the market value of the Championship however.

29 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Nigel Wood did, enough Super League clubs appreciated the increase in their overall amount to go along with it - it also made newly reintroduced relegation seem less harsh of a financial penalty.

There is no way the distribution reflected the market value of the Championship however.

Yes. The Premier League give some of their money to the Football League. 

That is all that is happening here, Super League clubs are giving some of their money to lower league clubs. 

I like the Sky philosophy of giving viewers the option to watch whichever game they want.

So for the football internationals last week, I could watch any game via the red button. It is similar for Championship midweek 

So I am the one selecting which team I watch. 

It would be great to have this for rugby league as well. 

REMINDER

This is a Rugby League forum.

If you want to comment/complain about the BBC in any other regard than their coverage of Rugby League, do it elsewhere, either in AOB (programme related stuff) or the politics sub-forum (structure/management/how much they pay their staff, etc).

Thanks.

7 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Market value!!! sorry thought it was a sport. stupid remark from a selfish SL fan. You lot will only be happy when there's no relegation your own little private club with all the cash.

8 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

But was it because of the 8s structure ?

14 minutes ago, Devon Ram said:

Market value!!! sorry thought it was a sport. stupid remark from a selfish SL fan. You lot will only be happy when there's no relegation your own little private club with all the cash.

How does it "being a sport" mean that market value isn't applicable?

7 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

But was it because of the 8s structure ?

But it's lived past the 8s (the amounts to the whole league) and it is the reduction in this overall amount that the clubs in the league are concerned about - precisely because it was so clearly above whatever market value they are about to get.

5 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

But it's lived past the 8s (the amounts to the whole league) and it is the reduction in this overall amount that the clubs in the league are concerned about - precisely because it was so clearly above whatever market value they are about to get.

Yes I know it's lived past the 8s , but was it the introduction of the 8s that convinced SKY to pay what they did ? , Who's decision was it to end the 8s ? , And were SKY consulted ? 

5 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Yes I know it's lived past the 8s , but was it the introduction of the 8s that convinced SKY to pay what they did ? , Who's decision was it to end the 8s ? , And were SKY consulted ? 

No idea, but I don't think you can convince anybody that Sky were paying multiple millions for the Championship. This was closer to the Premier League distributing money to the Football League than a genuine broadcast partnership. That is why there is the concern now.

Sky have to have been consulted on the change.

2 hours ago, Devon Ram said:

Rugby league was formed out of a battle for market value.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

9 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

...There is no way the distribution reflected the market value of the Championship however...

And is this also self-evident? Is it a widely held belief? Who has done the costings and evaluations? And is it axiomatic that the “value” of Super League should be separated from the value of the rest of rugby league? It doesn’t seem a clear enough issue to me to make such definitive statements.

50 minutes ago, Cerulean said:

And is this also self-evident? Is it a widely held belief? Who has done the costings and evaluations? And is it axiomatic that the “value” of Super League should be separated from the value of the rest of rugby league? It doesn’t seem a clear enough issue to me to make such definitive statements.

Given that the sum total of every deal combined for rugby league outside of Super League stands, in total, at £0, I think we can assume that, yes, it is self evident that the distribution from Super League to the rest of rugby league through the TV deal is above what it would be if left to market value.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

43 minutes ago, Cerulean said:

The very fact the Championship is struggling for the funding is indicative of the market value being inflated.

8 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Well the product is second division RL, its clearly not worth the amount it has been getting for 6 years from Super League - though I don't think SL should cut off all funding.

So you just want SL and the other clubs can go under.... Great RL fan you are.

36 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

The very fact the Championship is struggling for the funding is indicative of the market value being inflated.

Or you could look at it another way - SL need the Championship & League 1 for things like loans to keep players fit; dual reg for development ; identifying & signing late developers and whilst you may think that there is zero value for any club outside SL without those currently smaller clubs SL would be weaker and therefore have an even lower TV deal

It is perfectly clear what @Tommygilf is referring to. Market value to TV broadcasters is pretty much £0, if not actually zero.

That is the market value being discussed. 

The other element is the value to the sport overall. The problem is that even though a case may be made that that value is £4m (for example) if SL clubs can only afford to pay £2m then that is what is to be paid. 

Just like the RFL may value the lower divisions at £5m but they don't have the money to pay it. 

9 minutes ago, Dave T said:

It is perfectly clear what @Tommygilf is referring to. Market value to TV broadcasters is pretty much £0, if not actually zero.

That is the market value being discussed. 

The other element is the value to the sport overall. The problem is that even though a case may be made that that value is £4m (for example) if SL clubs can only afford to pay £2m then that is what is to be paid. 

Just like the RFL may value the lower divisions at £5m but they don't have the money to pay it. 

Why pay anything ?

Archived