Secondary TV contract - BBC 🆚

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, DlEHARD said:

How much does Fox Sports Australia pay for Super League? 

I don’t know how it breaks down to different channels but believe the last tv deal was in the region of $2000Million. And some people still question why Super League clubs aren’t signing top NRL players when we have a deal that’s reduced from £40Million a year.

17 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

I don’t know how it breaks down to different channels but believe the last tv deal was in the region of $2000Million. And some people still question why Super League clubs aren’t signing top NRL players when we have a deal that’s reduced from £40Million a year.

They don’t pay £2000m for SL. 

1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

The latest issue of Forty-20 reports BBC have “turned down” the chance to broadcast 10 free to air Super League games but Channel 4 is believed to be interested in a package of games + SLS-type highlights show 

Channel 4 is the perfect broadcaster for our sport, especially with their move up to Leeds. They're huge on promoting diversity and inclusion and will put a lot of spotlight on our wheelchair & PDRL leagues.

Their racing coverage used to be very good and since then they haven't had a flagship sport. Really hope this happens.

8 minutes ago, Ray Cashmere said:

Channel 4 is the perfect broadcaster for our sport, especially with their move up to Leeds. They're huge on promoting diversity and inclusion and will put a lot of spotlight on our wheelchair & PDRL leagues.

Their racing coverage used to be very good and since then they haven't had a flagship sport. Really hope this happens.

First choice for me would be BBC but Channel 4 would be good. Maybe Adam Hills could be involved?

8 minutes ago, Ray Cashmere said:

I imagine coverage with the BBC would attract more people, like you I think C4 could be good.

Many years ago they covered NFL and it was excellent.  I hope they choose presenters with neutral (as possible) accents.  

13 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

First choice for me would be BBC but Channel 4 would be good. Maybe Adam Hills could be involved?

C4 would be crazy not to involve Adam Hills, he's perfect to lead the sport on there channel if they do get involved. 

Channel 4 would be great, they used to be a good sports provider, but have neglected sport for a long time. Big athletics and cycling 80s 90’s introduced NFL to UK, Italian football in  90’s Gaelic sports and even Aussie rules st one point. What do they show now apart from horse racing. 
could be a statement of intent from them.

2 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

2 hours ago, bobbruce said:

They don’t pay £2000m for SL. 

Just for clarity because a lot of ridiculous figures get bandied about for NRL broadcast rights. Foxtel pay about $A230m per annum, that`d be about 100 -110m pounds I think, and Channel 9 are expected to be paying about $A115 - 120m per annum for the FTA rights, so that would be about 55-60m pounds I`d reckon.

I suppose if you include the $37m per annum we are getting off Sky NZ now, it is pushing close to the $A2b ($A2000m) over a five-year broadcast deal.

7 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

Just for clarity because a lot of ridiculous figures get bandied about for NRL broadcast rights. Foxtel pay about $A230m per annum, that`d be about 100 -110m pounds I think, and Channel 9 are expected to be paying about $A115 - 120m per annum for the FTA rights, so that would be about 55-60m pounds I`d reckon.

I suppose if you include the $37m per annum we are getting off Sky NZ now, it is pushing close to the $A2b ($A2000m) over a five-year broadcast deal.

It’s about $400m a year which equates to about £215m a year, the NRL deal is massive compared to the Super League deal.

4 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

The latest issue of Forty-20 reports BBC have “turned down” the chance to broadcast 10 free to air Super League games ...

Why? Why would they do this? They have 3 (or is it four) channels to fill. Would they turn down 10 free union games, 10 free one day cricket matches, 10 free athletics meets?

Jam Eater  1.(noun. jam eeter) A Resident of Whitehaven or Workington. Offensive.  It is now a term of abuse that both towns of West Cumbria use for each other especially at Workington/Whitehaven rugby league derby matches.

St Albans Centurions Website 

8 minutes ago, Exiled Townie said:

Why? Why would they do this? They have 3 (or is it four) channels to fill. Would they turn down 10 free union games, 10 free one day cricket matches, 10 free athletics meets?

Maybe they haven't been offered them for free? The sport certainly shouldn't be giving these games away for free as it immediately sets their value as zero going forward.

Would be a shame if the BBC have turned down the rights. Channel 4 would still be a step in the right direction, as a national highlights show at a reasonable hour and FTA live matches would be a boost.

Although, in some ways, maybe it's a positive, we would then have live RL on Sky, Premier Sports, BBC and Channel 4. That's a broadening portfolio.

5 hours ago, Ray Cashmere said:

Don’t fall for the ‘mover to Leeds’ nonsense. It’s only the marketing team that will be based in Leeds, management will still be in London. It’s a box ticking exercise.

14 minutes ago, Mark S said:

Don’t fall for the ‘mover to Leeds’ nonsense. It’s only the marketing team that will be based in Leeds, management will still be in London. It’s a box ticking exercise.

And people forget, on that point, BBC Sport is based in Salford.

I'm sure if C4 do pick something up  there'll be many claiming credit for something they've had nothing to so with.

3 hours ago, Chris22 said:

Would be a shame if the BBC have turned down the rights. Channel 4 would still be a step in the right direction, as a national highlights show at a reasonable hour and FTA live matches would be a boost.

Although, in some ways, maybe it's a positive, we would then have live RL on Sky, Premier Sports, BBC and Channel 4. That's a broadening portfolio.

I agree. I think the more mainstream broadcasters that show the sport the better and it can only help to have more interested parties when rights come up for renewal. A broadcaster like Channel 4 may start off with Super League but if successful may then become interested in things like internationals and the Challenge Cup. The more competition the better.

2 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Teams that are poor stadiums  (Wakey and less so Cas) and teams that are in stadiums massively oversized (Huddersfield and Salford)

To the Championship. 

Salford’s stadium isn’t oversized, they just get no fans. Huddersfield’s Stadium is a similar size to Odsul isn’t it? Just far more modern.

15 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

Teams that are poor stadiums  (Wakey and less so Cas) and teams that are in stadiums massively oversized (Huddersfield and Salford)

To the Championship. 

So now we want to kick out clubs because their stadium is too big? 🤔

Archived