Secondary TV contract - BBC ๐Ÿ†š

19 minutes ago, Dave T said:

People are also a little economicalnwith the truth on the S8's clouded by their own preferences. Some people will often claim that everyone was focused on the middle instead of the top, despite it not actually being true.ย 

There was more coverage, more viewers, more media attention, bigger crowds etc. in the Top 8 than the middle 8.

Well, yes, there would be.

Thatโ€™s where the bigger clubs were.

But to those outside it was very dull and the less said about the Championship Shield the better.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.ย (Terry Pratchett)

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, gingerjon said:

But to those outside it was very dull and the less said about the Championship Shield the better.

Correct , so you want the focus to be on the third level , not the top or second ?

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

Correct , so you want the focus to be on the third level , not the top or second ?

Nope.

I want the game to stop pandering to the aspirations of middling semi professional clubs who are the only ones who look back on the 8s with fondness.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.ย (Terry Pratchett)

38 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Nope.

I want the game to stop pandering to the aspirations of middling semi professional clubs who are the only ones who look back on the 8s with fondness.

Not their fault That the ' big ' clubs couldn't get interest in the main competitionย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

24 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I'll certainly give you the championship shield.ย 

I'm not sure why the last quarter of the season was any duller than any other.ย 

9 hours ago, Dave T said:

I'll certainly give you the championship shield.ย 

I'm not sure why the last quarter of the season was any duller than any other.ย 

Couldnโ€™t tell you but it was. Like a bridge between the regular season and the โ€œproperโ€ play offs, it was just something to be got over.

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

Couldnโ€™t tell you but it was. Like a bridge between the regular season and the โ€œproperโ€ play offs, it was just something to be got over.

I think the flaw was that it was a race for top 4 that was often already sorted. The other challenge is that the summer period of SL is often the less exciting bit overall. Its why a tweak with points would be needed.ย 

But, people shouldn't forget that the S8 also included the playoffs, Grand Final, and games like that Hudds v Leeds game.ย 

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I think the flaw was that it was a race for top 4 that was often already sorted. The other challenge is that the summer period of SL is often the less exciting bit overall. Its why a tweak with points would be needed.ย 

But, people shouldn't forget that the S8 also included the playoffs, Grand Final, and games like that Hudds v Leeds game.ย 

I think people are okay to say that there are elimination finals and a Grand Final in any version we've had of the play offs so the Super 8s should be judged by the things that only that system brought.

Just now, gingerjon said:

I think people are okay to say that there are elimination finals and a Grand Final in any version we've had of the play offs so the Super 8s should be judged by the things that only that system brought.

It did bring a specific (imo a lesser) playoff though that was part of the challenge (top 4).

In reality, it was a slightly amended way of organising loop fixtures, that people refused to just crack on with and undermined wherever they could. It was no worse than the current loop fixtures, but when you are trying to sell something with a fanfare it needs to be better than 'pretty much the same as now'.ย 

It's my concern over 2 x 10, we should only be changing for much better.ย 

9 minutes ago, Dave T said:

when you are trying to sell something with a fanfare it needs to be better than 'pretty much the same as now'.ย 

Yup. It's the issue with any of our deckchair shuffling alternatives to be honest.

6 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Yup. It's the issue with any of our deckchair shuffling alternatives to be honest.

Aye, I think we landed on the best structure a while back with 14 teams, 27 games, although we then messed it up with top 8 playoff.ย 

Get into as 'normal' a league structure as possible and leave it.ย 

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Aye, I think we landed on the best structure a while back with 14 teams, 27 games, although we then messed it up with top 8 playoff.ย 

Get into as 'normal' a league structure as possible and leave it.ย 

A 14 team league was on the table for next year

1 minute ago, Spidey said:

A 14 team league was on the table for next year

Our insecurities led to us abandoning it. We claimed we didn't have enough good players, or good teams to make up the numbers. We need to stop stressing. Leagues have good teams, bad teams, good players, lesser players - it's all part of sport, winners and losers, we need to stop searching for a perfect system and just get a league together and play good Rugby and never discuss format again!ย 

6 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Our insecurities led to us abandoning it. We claimed we didn't have enough good players, or good teams to make up the numbers. We need to stop stressing. Leagues have good teams, bad teams, good players, lesser players - it's all part of sport, winners and losers, we need to stop searching for a perfect system and just get a league together and play good Rugby and never discuss format again!ย 

Yup. There needs to be winners & Losers. When SL was at 14 teams. Was it really any different to now?

9 minutes ago, Dave T said:

We get ludicrously hung up on 'quality' when what most people want most of the time is that the majority of games they see will be close and competitive. A 14 team league will have bunches of clubs who when they play each other they are the competitive games - so those would be the ones you'd prioritise putting in front of neutrals on TV. They don't *necessarily* even have to have anything riding on them - only in rugby league does the term dead rubber get bandied around so much - as the nature of the sportย and playing for pride will make the games.

19 hours ago, Dave T said:

All you do with comments like that is show how your brain works I. E. Self-interest.ย 

I care little about how much money my club gets, clubs will adapt to survive, but I do see a fair bit of self-interest here - arguments for Cov to have their money protected versus other clubs - disguised as people saying it's best for the game and then calling SL clubs Super Greed.ย 

If clubs are weak, can't secure enough funding, can't attract crowds, investment etc. nothing should be off the table. But it should all be self-driven, I don't believe in forcing these things.ย 

The RL originally securedย a sky TV deal - The money should be shared equally!

Self interest is when 12 clubs want best part of 2,000,000 eachย and wants the other 24 to share 2 ,000,000 between them.

No team should have their money protected, all teams should be treat and funded the same way and then they can find their own way and their own earned position in the RL ladder.

This will never happen when SL teams get such a vast amount compared to the other 24,ย ย That is self interest

Wanting everyone TREAT EQUALLY is not self interest

1 minute ago, Derwent Parker said:

Self interest is when 12 clubs want best part of 2,000,000 eachย and wants the other 24 to share 2 ,000,000 between them.

No team should have their money protected, all teams should be treat and funded the same way and then they can find their own way and their own earned position in the RL ladder.

This will never happen when SL teams get such a vast amount compared to the other 24,ย ย That is self interest

No matter how many times you repeat this it doesn't make it true. Super League and Super League alone has secured a TV deal, that is literally what Sky are paying for in 2022 and 2023 and nothing else.

35 minutes ago, Derwent Parker said:

OK, my mistake.ย 

It is delusional and misguided. And frankly, a terrible idea.ย 

33 minutes ago, Damien said:

No matter how many times you repeat this it doesn't make it true. Super League and Super League alone has secured a TV deal, that is literally what Sky are paying for in 2022 and 2023 and nothing else.

We will see it laid out soon, as Rimmer said they will announce a Championship partner.ย 

Surely we will see the market value, and then how they decide to split the money?ย 

Maybe.ย 

• 4 weeks later...

Archived