Grand final - will it be full?

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Mumby Magic said:

Again one of RL sticking points. Selling out a major event. We should make it a massive occasion. Sod second class bands pay for a headliner. Speculate to accumulate. Have qualifiers and have the final for RLs fastest player and commerate retiring players with a walk out. Plus more can be done 

or could always go back to the double headers with the Championship game beforehand, they were always great days i the 90's and both games were well supported

9 hours ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

Failing to sell out would be very embarrassing for English Rugby League. 

We have lost the World Cup FFS... So surely fans who were planning to go to some of those games could be easily diverted to the Grand Final.

The GF is usually an amazing day/night, no matter who is playing. I have never had a bad time there.  If we can't sell out the game's flagship event, we are in a really serious position. 

And if it does sell out you will be crying into your Clive Woodward duvet.

33 minutes ago, dkw said:

And if it does sell out you will be crying into your Clive Woodward duvet.

Bingo. Given the grand final has a patchy record of selling out the usual suspects are already setting it up to fail with their  expectation setting that anything other than a sell out is a failure.

How many other sports in Europe except football and Union would get anywhere near a 70k crowd for any club game? It’s easy to deride RL and our own fans do a good job of it, but let’s not forget it’s a minority sport with little media coverage played in an area of about 5m people, so to get the crowds we do is incredible. 

53 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

You don’t think Old Trafford an iconic stadium that might entice people to attend? I bet it would 

I never mentioned O T i said thousands of Catalan fans wouldn't attend and although some would it wouldn't be thousands imo.

12 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I've booked my tickets.

Will it sell out/nearly sell out as usual?  Imagine if Catalan got a new name on the trophy in front of a great crowd and France vs England is competitive in decent French crowd it would be a good end to a difficult year 

What do we think? 

1 it doesn’t usually sell out 

2 attendances are massively down across the board 

3 we couldn’t even sell out the Challenge Cup Final with a very limited capacity (can’t remember what it was)

Anyone expecting a sold out Grand Final be prepared to be disappointed. 
Anyone hopeful for a lower than normal Grand Final attendance, your luck may well be in. 

3 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

3 we couldn’t even sell out the Challenge Cup Final with a very limited capacity (can’t remember what it was)

Anyone hopeful for a lower than normal Grand Final attendance, your luck may well be in. 

The GF demographic is different to your average SL game, fewer young families and less of Reg and Wilf who’ve been standing in the same spot at Fev for 60 years, and more groups of lads who want a good day out. The latter are less likely to be bothered about Covid. 

34 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

How many will it be in your opinion? 

800 at most but that's just a guess,why would thousands travel when they can watch it on TV ? Covid, travel and expense will probably put many off. You tell me you seem to know about anything and everything.

I reckon Cats would bring 2,000. But so what, even if they brought none it would be a great occasion and 90% of neutrals would be supporting them. The French don’t travel away in big numbers to sports events like English and some other European countries do. 

2 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

It tends to be mid 60s to 70 which is near to full when I've been and always feels full anyway when I've been

This was still the case even as CC has dropped last 3 years so not sure the CC trend is relevant or a portent. 

I'm a bit more hopeful it will be near normal attendance I certainly hope so

1 hour ago, Fevrover said:

800 at most but that's just a guess,why would thousands travel when they can watch it on TV ? Covid, travel and expense will probably put many off. You tell me you seem to know about anything and everything.

Covid will be a particular problem hopefully just for this year for travelling French fans

1 minute ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I was also talking about Cats fans at Wembley and I'd say there was 1000s. Certainly 1000s of French anyway though maybe a lot were living here and just supporting a French side generally 

Definitely more living here went you can bet.

7 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

It tends to be mid 60s to 70 which is near to full when I've been and always feels full anyway when I've been

Agreed, just looked up and I was surprised to read that Saints v Salford only had 64k there, it felt like it was almost full, great evening that was. 

Archived