Grand final - will it be full?

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Music and sport go hand in hand, they are a great match and done well can be a big draw. 

Problem is we find a band that appeals to the customers already going and announce it to them. Ageing indie bands are great, but then I'm a 43 year old white Northern man brought up on this stuff. 

That’s exactly what I am, and I thought Shed 7 were a great idea last time (although they were stuck in the corner and I could barely hear them), though I now appreciate that having some modern band that I’ve never heard of may appeal to new fans. 

7 minutes ago, Eddie said:

That’s exactly what I am, and I thought Shed 7 were a great idea last time (although they were stuck in the corner and I could barely hear them), though I now appreciate that having some modern band that I’ve never heard of may appeal to new fans. 

I saw Shed 7 last weekend at a festival and whilst they were good, there was a lot of exciting modern music around that may be a bit more relevant for the Grand Final. James, Charlatans, Razor light, Shed 7 all have one thing in common - they are old. Blossoms were good but as you say the setup doesn't work great - they were tucked away and I could hardly hear them which was disappointing. 

I'm not being overly critical of the route they have gone down, as its my kind of music, but I think as with many things, we don't optimise it. 

3 hours ago, zorquif said:

I sort of think that is the point. You're going to watch the game, and that is great. But if you put a decent band on at half time, someone who isn't that bothered about the game might come along. You're not lost as a customer, and a new consumer might just be gained. 

Yeah I like the build up and I'm a massive RL fan

My wife comes to lots of games with me and likes the game. However the band, the fanzone and the promise of a posh hotel and meal out helps the appeal if the GF to her . 

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I saw Shed 7 last weekend at a festival and whilst they were good, there was a lot of exciting modern music around that may be a bit more relevant for the Grand Final. James, Charlatans, Razor light, Shed 7 all have one thing in common - they are old. Blossoms were good but as you say the setup doesn't work great - they were tucked away and I could hardly hear them which was disappointing. 

I'm not being overly critical of the route they have gone down, as its my kind of music, but I think as with many things, we don't optimise it. 

When people are already saying that Grand Final has turned into a booze up and isn't particularly family friendly the choice of bands and music does nothing to change that. It's great for 40 somethings on the booze but certainly does nothing to attract a younger audience. 

Like you I love Shed 7 and all those bands, they were the bands of my youth and were the music I listened to. My kids however have literally no idea who they are and think it's lame.

Maybe aim for the same bands/groups/DJs that the cricket hired for The Hundred - they seemed appropriate for the people it was aimed at.

If you’re trying to switch your target audience away from ‘oldies on the ale’ this could help.

Be great if you could have them on the pitch too, but I guess logistics and cost is always a factor.

3 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Maybe aim for the same bands/groups/DJs that the cricket hired for The Hundred - they seemed appropriate for the people it was aimed at.

If you’re trying to switch your target audience away from ‘oldies on the ale’ this could help.

Be great if you could have them on the pitch too, but I guess logistics and cost is always a factor.

Yes, I noticed that for the final they had Jax Jones and Joel Corry - that is absolutely the kind of modern acts - and being DJ's they work better being ticked away. 

We did used to use the pitch a few years bavk, sure Madness, Scouting for Girls etc where on the pitch. 

15 minutes ago, Damien said:

When people are already saying that Grand Final has turned into a booze up and isn't particularly family friendly the choice of bands and music does nothing to change that. It's great for 40 somethings on the booze but certainly does nothing to attract a younger audience. 

Like you I love Shed 7 and all those bands, they were the bands of my youth and were the music I listened to. My kids however have literally no idea who they are and think it's lame.

I must admit, Shed 7 and James were a bit "retro"...

Even Blossoms, who are a good band, aren't really a "sport stadium band".

21 hours ago, dkw said:

You've never been to a proper rugby game in your life you tedious pathetic child.

Dream on son. Have been to far more grand finals than you!

(Because I follow the game in general, not just the local team from my village) 

Thinking about - I have spent thousands of euros attending Grand Finals alone.... Never mind regular matches, internationals etc. Flights/hotels etc .... Not just walking down 1 street in Cumbria. 👍🏾

19 minutes ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

Thinking about - I have spent thousands of euros attending Grand Finals alone.... Never mind regular matches, internationals etc. Flights/hotels etc .... Not just walking down 1 street in Cumbria. 👍🏾

Euros? Don’t you live in Scotland? 

20 minutes ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

And there we have the real Flyingjock man, not only hates SL and the English but lower league RL and the towns that keep RL alive as well by the look of it ...... we all knew but tonight you have confirmed.

So you spent 1000s of Euros going to Grand Final🤔🤔.... err you pay for Grand Final seats in £ - as others have said - you have never been to a RL game in your life - let alone one from your beloved NRL.

On 10/09/2021 at 21:29, Tommygilf said:

I must admit, Shed 7 and James were a bit "retro"...

Even Blossoms, who are a good band, aren't really a "sport stadium band".

I was at the "James final" and I was really surprised how good their set was. One of the best sports event acts I have seen. I thought they were excellent.

As others have said above, it probably appealed to the core demographic in the stands (basically the Weatherspoons crowd) and this possibly made the atmosphere better, as the supporters got into it. Problem is getting a band in who will attract new faces, and not the stereotypical 40-somethings on their one day trip a year outside Workington. 

10 minutes ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

I was at the "James final" and I was really surprised how good their set was. One of the best sports event acts I have seen. I thought they were excellent.

As others have said above, it probably appealed to the core demographic in the stands (basically the Weatherspoons crowd) and this possibly made the atmosphere better, as the supporters got into it. Problem is getting a band in who will attract new faces, and not the stereotypical 40-somethings on their one day trip a year outside Workington. 

How many Euros did the James final (as you called it - i always remember the teams that played....) cost you lad??

Archived