Grand final - will it be full?

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I watched both of these at the Neighbourhood Weekendee festival in Warrington last weekend. James were the Saturday night headliner and had a huge audience following them. James were a great choice for the Grand Final, they started this recent indie trend for SL. Unfortunately, the bands after that were all lesser acts, certainly in terms of demand and what kind of anthems they have. 

The likes of Feeder, Shed 7 and the Charlatans are Al good in their own right and I've seen them all, but not really mainstream enough to be a big draw themselves. 

In order of popularity I’d say the charlatans are miles ahead of James or shed 7, with shed 7 slightly ahead of James. 

4 minutes ago, Eddie said:

In order of popularity I’d say the charlatans are miles ahead of James or shed 7, with shed 7 slightly ahead of James. 

Just the other day James were headline with Shed 7 one of the supporting acts. Charlatans played in a similar support role in 2019 there. 

I know it's all subjective, but the organisers know what they are doing, and Shed 7 and Charlatans would be nowhere near headlining this festival. 

I know we are off topic somewhat, but it is loosely linked to the GF 😁

Edit: I always do a quick Spotify check:

James - 2.4m monthly listeners

Charlatans - 0.5m monthly listeners

Shed 7 - 0.3m monthly listeners

8 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Just the other day James were headline with Shed 7 one of the supporting acts. Charlatans played in a similar support role in 2019 there. 

I know it's all subjective, but the organisers know what they are doing, and Shed 7 and Charlatans would be nowhere near headlining this festival. 

what about the brotherhood of man?

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

23 minutes ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

My first Rugby League game (as a spectator) was in 2001. Back when the Super League was high quality.

I don't know why I'm even bothering to engage the likes of you tbh. 

Let me guess, you can't remember who you watched play but you can remember the pre-match band....

41 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Fair enough, I stand massively corrected. As a 90s indie kid I’d never have thought that, but the numbers don’t lie. 

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

That's basically just people having Sit Down in their playlists.

8 hours ago, Eddie said:

Fair enough, I stand massively corrected. As a 90s indie kid I’d never have thought that, but the numbers don’t lie. 

I went through this though process last week when watching James and thinking how good a headliner they were for the Grand Final, mainly because of their iconic songs, so id taken a bit of interest in these various bands and their numbers. 

Obviously it's nowhere near an exact science but it's a good indicator. 

10 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I went through this though process last week when watching James and thinking how good a headliner they were for the Grand Final, mainly because of their iconic songs, so id taken a bit of interest in these various bands and their numbers. 

Obviously it's nowhere near an exact science but it's a good indicator. 

That's the thing, we don't need new bands with new music at the grand final, the whole point of them is yo help create a party atmosphere so the best band would be one with songs everyone knows, that's why James were perfect, and bands like Madness are ideal.

17 minutes ago, dkw said:

That's the thing, we don't need new bands with new music at the grand final, the whole point of them is yo help create a party atmosphere so the best band would be one with songs everyone knows, that's why James were perfect, and bands like Madness are ideal.

Mainstream anthems are needed, absolutely. The average person needs to have heard it. 

That could be a modern band with huge hits now - I'd prefer that right now as it helps to modernise us a bit, but if we go old, they have to have genuine anthems, not niche anthems. 

16 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Laid? Absolutely nowt to do with rugby league now. 

Yeah, absolute blinder of a track. I'd always wanted to see James so ticked that one off my list last week, they finished with that and the atmosphere was unreal. 

11 hours ago, Northern Eel said:

Happy to stand corrected, but much of the razzmatazz is still not allowed. That said, there’s still some stuff can continue. 

I’m not sure 100% sure myself, but are there actually any outdoor restrictions still in place? I thought outdoors you can do what you like, vaccinated or not - marquees, beer gardens, music concerts. Whether it’s outside stadia or in a local park, it shouldn’t matter really. 

Just now, Cheshire Setter said:

I’m not sure 100% sure myself, but are there actually any outdoor restrictions still in place? I thought outdoors you can do what you like, vaccinated or not - marquees, beer gardens, music concerts. Whether it’s outside stadia or in a local park, it shouldn’t matter really. 

I don't think there are any restrictions. Other sports are doing things, and things are back to normal at other major events. 

Archived