NRL Match Thread - Finals - Week 1 - 2021

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After yesterday's blowouts (NRL & SL), a couple of exciting finishes today.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Preview:

The Eels and Knights target a spot in Week 2 of the NRL finals when they square off in an elimination clash at Browne Park on Sunday afternoon (early morning in the UK).

Parramatta were on course for a top four finish before stumbling towards the end of the season, while the Knights took advantage of a hugely fortuitous draw to surge into seventh spot on the ladder.

Eels experienced a tough period with four straight defeats, but they steadied over the last few weeks to beat the Cowboys and Storm before resting more than half of their team in last week’s defeat to the Panthers.

The Eels have the fourth best defence in the competition – even after losing three straight games to the Roosters, Rabbitohs and Eels by 28 points or more – and that should work in their favour against a Knights side who have the second worst attack in the competition in front of only the last-placed Bulldogs.

If Mitch Moses and Clint Gutherson can rediscover their best form and create some one-one-one opportunities on the fringes for the likes of Isaiah Papali’i, then the Eels will be hard to stop.

Meanwhile, the Knights may have won five of their last six games to sneak into the finals, but they haven’t been convincing in any of them.

Firstly, all five of those wins came against teams that finished in the bottom eight, while they also lost easily to the Broncos last week.

Newcastle have struggled in attack all season and even the returns of Mitchell Pearce and Kalyn Ponga haven’t seen them improve too much in that regard.

So is there a verdict?

Well 12/12 of our forum tipsters have gone with Parramatta for the win.

So, Eels to win...

... though it must be said 11/12 tipsters went for a Panthers win in the Saturday game...

Archived