Chris Hill to Huddersfield

2 minutes ago, Dallas Mead said:

Not happy, we’ve been a big prop short all year with Hill AND Cooper.  By the laws of basic maths we’ll be 2 short next year….surely someone coming in eh?

Yep, I'd have tried to keep him, but good luck to him, if he's managed to get a 2 year contract that suits him, I hope he does well, been a cracking player for us. 

This is a great signing for Huddersfield, just let him get on with playing rugby and don't try to give him a leadership role. 

He has been a brilliant player for us; I can't think of a more successful signing in terms of a player exceeding modest expectations and being a genuine top player. I certainly wouldn't blame him for opting for a two-year deal because I think he has two more years in him.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

14 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

This is a great signing for Huddersfield, just let him get on with playing rugby and don't try to give him a leadership role. 

He has been a brilliant player for us; I can't think of a more successful signing in terms of a player exceeding modest expectations and being a genuine top player. I certainly wouldn't blame him for opting for a two-year deal because I think he has two more years in him.

He's got the bathroom business to prop up as well

54 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

He has been a brilliant player for us; I can't think of a more successful signing in terms of a player exceeding modest expectations and being a genuine top player.

Good assessment.

I honestly believe you may well have signed a like-for-like replacement in that sense in James Harrison.

6 minutes ago, Curly perm said:

Joe Bullock still being talked about. 

... which is great but it's not like for like. Neither is the lad Harrison from Fev, although he might prove to be a top signing in the longer term. 

I think one of the reasons Blake Austin has not hit the heights we expected is because our forwards don't have the dominance they did under Smith with Morley, Carvell, Westwood and co.  Austin may have had the time of his life behind that pack, but we'll never know.

Anyway, we need to find an enforcer for the pack and I don't believe Bullock or Harrison are the answer just yet.

I'm not sure there's a Jackson, Tamati or Boyd coming through the youth system either, but I'm not an expert in that area. 

I would love to have seen him play his time out at Wire but wish him nothing but success at Fartown.

He has been one of my favourite players at Wire for a long time, a big man with a big heart who puts in in big minutes, never takes a backward step and rarely dominated in the tackle.

He will be sorely missed, especially if we don't procure a player of equal talent and commitment. Over to you Mr Powell.

13 hours ago, Leeds Wire said:

... which is great but it's not like for like. Neither is the lad Harrison from Fev, although he might prove to be a top signing in the longer term. 

I think one of the reasons Blake Austin has not hit the heights we expected is because our forwards don't have the dominance they did under Smith with Morley, Carvell, Westwood and co.  Austin may have had the time of his life behind that pack, but we'll never know.

Anyway, we need to find an enforcer for the pack and I don't believe Bullock or Harrison are the answer just yet.

I'm not sure there's a Jackson, Tamati or Boyd coming through the youth system either, but I'm not an expert in that area. 

Agree with this. I actually think our props this year are good enough, it is the second row that is too nice.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

5 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

Agree with this. I actually think our props this year are good enough, it is the second row that is too nice.

I agree. Our back row is too 'meh'. Currie, Hughes and J Clark can be technically strong but all seem to play within themselves far too much. Even Philbin has been dragged into this playing within himself instead of being the dynamic impact player. It also happened with BMM. 

It saddens me when I think what a coach with an attacking philosophy could have done with our squad over the last 3 years. 

I think he’s a great signing for Huddersfield, he brings exactly what the Giants have been missing all season. I don’t understand this decision from Powell but then I don’t understand his decision on Minikin or Matautia either. Both are primarily centres and Warrington aren’t bad off in that department even with the departure of Mamo.

Back to Chris Hill, my own club Wakefield keeps bemoaning the lack of available Prop Forwards yet it seems they weren’t even in the mix for Hill which is very disappointing 

41 minutes ago, OMEGA said:

Back to Chris Hill, my own club Wakefield keeps bemoaning the lack of available Prop Forwards yet it seems they weren’t even in the mix for Hill which is very disappointing 

Without knowing the ins and outs of his considerations, he has a business in Warrington and a large young family so I would guess that even Huddersfield is a bit of a trek.

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

It saddens me when I think what a coach with an attacking philosophy could have done with our squad over the last 3 years.

A coach with an attacking philosophy probably wouldn't have Hughes and J Clark in that second row. Currie has showed enough this season to whet the appetite for 2022 under Powell, but I'm hoping the right side gets more work now Powell has Williams and AN Other to work with.

16 hours ago, Leeds Wire said:

Austin may have had the time of his life behind that pack, but we'll never know.

I'm an Austin fan when he's on form, but he's had lots of opportunity when the pack have steam-rollered opposition this season and still failed to hit the heights of early 2019.   I am satisfied that we're not spending big money on him anymore. Williams and Widdop both seem to have the full skill-set, and Williams also appears to be a big-game player or game-breaker, something that I think Austin may lack. I'm certainly happy enough with the backs going into next season. I guess we'll find out soon how we are in the front row.

3 hours ago, Dave T said:

I agree. Our back row is too 'meh'. Currie, Hughes and J Clark can be technically strong but all seem to play within themselves far too much. Even Philbin has been dragged into this playing within himself instead of being the dynamic impact player. It also happened with BMM. 

Who would you like to bring in? Oliver Holmes should go very well IMHO

8 hours ago, Cheshire Setter said:

A coach with an attacking philosophy probably wouldn't have Hughes and J Clark in that second row.

I seem to be in a minority but I think Jack Hughes is a tremendous player. His only weakness seems to be 1 or 2 knock-ons every game, most of which seem to occur as he is being tackled. I've never understood the animosity shown towards him, he's a big asset.

Ben Currie has never hit the heights of his pre-injury career but he's still international class.

Hopefully Daryl Powell will bring a breath of fresh air and inject some energy into those who maybe got a bit complacent and under-achieved under Price. 

Next season is massive and I can't wait.  People have questioned Powell's recruitment (Minikin, Holmes, Mata'utia) but I'm sure he has a master plan.

As I understand it Price's main focus has been to plug the defensive holes and he's unquestionably done that, but it seems to have come at the expense of the attacking style we got used to under Tony Smith. 

2 hours ago, Leeds Wire said:

I've never understood the animosity shown towards him, he's a big asset.

No animosity from me towards Hughes, but he’s a typical Price favourite - solid, dependable but play goes dead when it reaches him.

Holmes should provide an extra dimension on that side.

2 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

liam watts on his way to wire for his big payday

Guess or rumour? I doubt it, I would say Amor is more likely. Still, it’s Powell’s call.

Archived