The RFL & SL Working Party - the answer to our problems?

EssexRL

So, this Forum has been full of concerns about the future of the game (including from me). Is this working group the answer to these?

My first reactions were:

1. Champ and L1 clubs need to be on this if its truly "holistic"

2. What about the views of fans? 

3. There needs to be fresh thinking bought to the table to avoid "group think" - perhaps an outsider who can challenge thinking

https://www.totalrl.com/super-league-and-rfl-set-up-joint-working-groups-to-plan-a-way-forward/

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

Do these 'opportunities' have anything to do with private equity?

Almost certainly. I don't know how else you could interpret this.

The game has fielded strategic interest from several credible parties in recent months and the strategic group will consider how to make the most of these opportunities for the betterment of the sport in a coordinated way. The group intends to make its initial recommendations within a 3-month period.

Adam Pearson was talking about PE and options and opportunities in his BBC interview, it seems PE is very much back on. 

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

36 minutes ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

Almost certainly. I don't know how else you could interpret this.

Adam Pearson was talking about PE and options and opportunities in his BBC interview, it seems PE is very much back on. 

Adam Pearson isn't involved in this group however.

Just now, EssexRL said:

So, this Forum has been full of concerns about the future of the game (including from me). Is this working group the answer to these?

My first reactions were:

1. Champ and L1 clubs need to be on this if its truly "holistic"

2. What about the views of fans? 

3. There needs to be fresh thinking bought to the table to avoid "group think" - perhaps an outsider who can challenge thinking

https://www.totalrl.com/super-league-and-rfl-set-up-joint-working-groups-to-plan-a-way-forward/

Exactly my concern.  It's going to a pointless group think exercise.  Where's the input from the other two divisions? What about the amateur game? Fans? Broadcasters? Sponsors? Potential Sponsors?

Super League is (imho) the most boring part of our sport. I don't think they're the people to fix it.

I'm not sure why they tell us things like this. RL is one of the least transparent sports around, and announcing stuff like this just leads to more questions - and it is unlikely they will ever really bother givibg us answers. 

25 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I'm not sure why they tell us things like this. RL is one of the least transparent sports around, and announcing stuff like this just leads to more questions - and it is unlikely they will ever really bother givibg us answers. 

Our own Old Boys Network runs it.

21 minutes ago, Dave T said:

A working party was announced by Michael Carter after the SL/RFL split.  He stated he was down for looking into finance, others were tasked to look at other disciplines (I forget which).  Progress on all that has yet to be seen.

I have no confidence in this and feel it will just be lip service with the same people overpowering the rest.  A bit like the ‘realignment’ with the RFL it’ll drag on forever with the occasional press release.

The only thing I think will move forward (and quickly) is the TV and Streaming opportunity.  

3 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

A working party was announced by Michael Carter after the SL/RFL split.  He stated he was down for looking into finance, others were tasked to look at other disciplines (I forget which).  Progress on all that has yet to be seen.

I have no confidence in this and feel it will just be lip service with the same people overpowering the rest.  A bit like the ‘realignment’ with the RFL it’ll drag on forever with the occasional press release.

The only thing I think will move forward (and quickly) is the TV and Streaming opportunity.  

Lip service sums it up nicely. 

1 minute ago, PREPOSTEROUS said:

In a good word people throw into the mix to make it sound like they know what they're doing.

“Look, we’ve produced a report with footnotes and sub headings ...”

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Interesting that they are going for whole game solutions, including for championship, league 1, amateur, women, wheelchair and PDRL, but that two thirds of the group are from one other organisation and another member is their placeman. Just as well it is the one organisation which has exhibited unbridled success in its decision making and financial acumen since it broke away. The only good news is that one clique from that organisation appears to be overrepresented, which probably means any recommendation they make will be voted down by the other clique, particularly as the leader of that group has said that he doesn't think many changes to rugby league in the UK are required in an interview today.

Archived