Derek Beaumont's Programme Notes

Chris22

35 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

People sometimes wonder why RL struggles to attract talented people to come into key positions in running clubs and the sport. 

When you see comments in the press from people like Beaumont, Carter and their ilk, you realise it's not about money, but about culture. Who in their right mind, with any degree of choice over where they work, would want to work for people who would come across as old fashioned even by Victorian workhouse standards? 

I don't think anyone would question Beaumont's passion for Leigh, but he really ought to learn to channel that professionally if he wants people to take him seriously. 

I agree.  But I think he’s past that and the threats of legal action will seal the way SL owners treat him.

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Publicly bashing the players is a no no for me, these guys put their bodies on the line week in, week out.

Clearly though some of the Leigh players are not up to SL standard, which is quite different to not actually being professional or making an effort, has DB ever played the game..... 

I’m a Leigh fan and I think the man can be an absolute Phukwit, how he expects to bring players in with this nonsense is beyond me, HOWEVER, if he is talking Ben Flower & Blake Wallace who have refused to play whilst taking a wage then I support his rant.

1 minute ago, binosh said:

I’m a Leigh fan and I think the man can be an absolute Phukwit, how he expects to bring players in with this nonsense is beyond me, HOWEVER, if he is talking Ben Flower & Blake Wallace who have refused to play whilst taking a wage then I support his rant.

There are ways & means to deal with players not fulfilling their contracts which isn’t via a rant in the match day programme. 
As others have posted I suspect that there are other reasons behind the rant which still isn’t justified or professional or appropriate 

3 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

That would mean 1 club missing the magic weekend. 

There won't be a 13 team super league next season.

No ,it would mean NO magic weekend ,you cannot have an odd number of teams playing an odd number of games , excepting covid seasons obviously , when nothing really matters 

There’s a message there. That goes out to all. Your not coming to Leigh just for the wedge. Also the Radio Manchester interview reiterated his intention of taking the game forward. He basically said if you want the game to progress then use your own money.

On 12/09/2021 at 14:28, The Daddy said:

Everyone was warned about his behaviour and previous issues with player payments. Why the hell Leigh were allowed anywhere near a SL place is still a mystery to me 

Because they’re in the M62 corridor, were prepared to accept half the tv money and they were almost certain to be worse than anyone else. 

That said I don’t understand the venom towards Beaumont, ok he can be a loudmouth but the game would be better off with more owners like him, where would Leigh be without him? 

38 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Because they’re in the M62 corridor, were prepared to accept half the tv money and they were almost certain to be worse than anyone else. 

That said I don’t understand the venom towards Beaumont, ok he can be a loudmouth but the game would be better off with more owners like him, where would Leigh be without him? 

I’m lost in the context of remarks. People want change yet don’t want change. Something has to change. Leaving it to delinquents who pray on time will never be an answer.

1 hour ago, Tabby said:

There’s a message there. That goes out to all. Your not coming to Leigh just for the wedge.

You will have to explain this part for me.  Reading those programme notes, why on earth would anyone want to go to a club where the owner slags you off in public if not for the money?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, binosh said:

So how have the supporting bodies supported the club? Should your allegation be true!

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

You will have to explain this part for me.  Reading those programme notes, why on earth would anyone want to go to a club where the owner slags you off in public if not for the money?

Method in madness. You get your point over to individuals.

6 minutes ago, Tabby said:

Method in madness. You get your point over to individuals.

Do you think it is working?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 minutes ago, Nate90 said:

I always said they shouldn't have let Leigh in Super League after he cancelled the players contracts in 2018. It was like the rest Super League had conveniently forgot about all this when Leigh made a bid last year.

Nothing wrong legally. If you want sympathy try another sport.

1 minute ago, Tabby said:

He has a healthy Club account. Players all stitched on 12 month contracts. Do you think he just thought about it or has planned for it?

I was talking about his programme notes, not player contracts or club financials. 

You are happy with his ownership and leadership of the club, that's cool.

3 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I was talking about his programme notes, not player contracts or club financials. 

You are happy with his ownership and leadership of the club, that's cool.

Sorry I was replying to what you asked as in “Is it working”..  Off field certainly, but you don’t win games there. I’m not really sure what is happening on field.But he has said he will break the back. Up to others to follow suit.

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

He did it because on the day of Lord Peter Smith's funeral the player's threatened to not to play at magic weekend. Did DB comment when we lost 64-0 to Catalans or when Hull put 60 points past us at our place (when they could only name a squad of 17)....NO !

8 hours ago, clogdance said:

He did it because on the day of Lord Peter Smith's funeral the player's threatened to not to play at magic weekend. Did DB comment when we lost 64-0 to Catalans or when Hull put 60 points past us at our place (when they could only name a squad of 17)....NO !

And why did those players threaten to not play? Was it maybe due to something that  DB had either not done or threatened to not do to a player or players?

I've argued, or at least stated on here that because of the gulf between SL and Championship, that any promoted team should have some sort of protection from immediate relegation. It's a long term gulf of speed, skill, stamina, fitness, resilience, coaching etc and can take more than a season to fill. This in my view applied to Leigh as much as any other promoted team.

However, having read the programme notes featured above, I still think the same but would add a "fit and proper person" test of club ownership and management to be applied for the duration of relegation protection.

That test would include a measure of literacy, management training, anger management training and respect for the workforce.

any legal action by Leigh would be laughed out of court when the programme notes were translated into English.

Archived