Derek Beaumont's Programme Notes

Chris22

8 hours ago, clogdance said:

He did it because on the day of Lord Peter Smith's funeral the player's threatened to not to play at magic weekend. Did DB comment when we lost 64-0 to Catalans or when Hull put 60 points past us at our place (when they could only name a squad of 17)....NO !

I was going to ask when I read the screenshot of the programme but there was a lot in there. 

What was the context for the reference to Lord Peter Smith's funeral, what is the correlation between that event and the players alleged threat not to play at Majoc?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, JohnM said:

I've argued, or at least stated on here that because of the gulf between SL and Championship, that any promoted team should have some sort of protection from immediate relegation. It's a long term gulf of speed, skill, stamina, fitness, resilience, coaching etc and can take more than a season to fill. This in my view applied to Leigh as much as any other promoted team.

However, having read the programme notes featured above, I still think the same but would add a "fit and proper person" test of club ownership and management to be applied for the duration of relegation protection.

That test would include a measure of literacy, management training, anger management training and respect for the workforce.

any legal action by Leigh would be laughed out of court when the programme notes were translated into English.

Yes.   Very slim chance it can work work unless the club winning promotion has gambled serious money on signing SL standard players in the hope of promotion.  

Whoever wins promotion this year will have the same problems though.  Just because it’ll be most probable TO or Fev, doesn’t take those issues away.  

Certainly players/agents who would have looked at Leigh for next year, will think again now.

23 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I was going to ask when I read the screenshot of the programme but there was a lot in there. 

What was the context for the reference to Lord Peter Smith's funeral, what is the correlation between that event and the players alleged threat not to play at Majoc?

According to a previous reply I received on the topic, the day being the day of the funeral was coincidental. DB was refusing to pay for the flights home of 2 Australian players and the squad came together in solidarity on this point, threatening to sit in the changing rooms at Magic unless he conceded. 

4 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

According to a previous reply I received on the topic, the day being the day of the funeral was coincidental. DB was refusing to pay for the flights home of 2 Australian players and the squad came together in solidarity on this point, threatening to sit in the changing rooms at Magic unless he conceded. 

Why would DB be expected to pay for flights? What's the context around this? 

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Why would DB be expected to pay for flights? What's the context around this? 

No idea, presumably its in contracts/agreements. It wouldn't surprise me if part of any club's offer to antipodeans is a relocation and flights home package. When your owner effectively is the club however that can cause issues.

10 hours ago, Nate90 said:

I always said they shouldn't have let Leigh in Super League after he cancelled the players contracts in 2018. It was like the rest Super League had conveniently forgot about all this when Leigh made a bid last year.

Contracts weren't cancelled as that is something you cant do, you can agree termination though which is what actually happened. It's like changing a coach mid contract, you cant without agreement.

13 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

It was wrong to do so if correct, but if true we only had 2 of which one has took the urine all season  - we have him ball boying at present - the other looks like he didnt give a hoot after recovering from injury here. Do you still manage our ballboy?

6 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

No idea, presumably its in contracts/agreements. It wouldn't surprise me if part of any club's offer to antipodeans is a relocation and flights home package. When your owner effectively is the club however that can cause issues.

Depends on the contract.  ‘Flights Home’ is a bit unclear.  Is it all, some or just the agreed flights?

Other than work commencement/finish & (sometimes) holidays, the rest have to be approved on contracts I’ve had.   

Bottom line is though........we don’t know. 

3 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

It was wrong to do so if correct, but if true we only had 2 of which one has took the urine all season  - we have him ball boying at present - the other looks like he didnt give a hoot after recovering from injury here. Do you still manage our ballboy?

That's all fine, but if its an existing agreement then its poor form to threaten reneging on it. 

1 minute ago, Lowdesert said:

Depends on the contract.  ‘Flights Home’ is a bit unclear.  Is it all, some or just the agreed flights?

Other than work commencement/finish & (sometimes) holidays, the rest have to be approved on contracts I’ve had.   

Bottom line is though........we don’t know. 

We don't of course, but DB has brought it up unprompted and Leigh isn't a big place so word travels fast. He did acknowledge that the players as a group took a stand too.

2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

That's all fine, but if its an existing agreement then its poor form to threaten reneging on it. 

This is how I understand it , Dereck didn't refuse to provide the flights back to Australia , he did however suggest waiting until more flights ( at lower cost ) become available later in the year , the figure of £ 8,000 was mentioned as being the cost at that time 

4 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

This is how I understand it , Dereck didn't refuse to provide the flights back to Australia , he did however suggest waiting until more flights ( at lower cost ) become available later in the year , the figure of £ 8,000 was mentioned as being the cost at that time 

Yeah I suppose in retort the players would not only be unhappy with the delay but suggest that there's no reason for flights to get cheaper.

4 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Yeah I suppose in retort the players would not only be unhappy with the delay but suggest that there's no reason for flights to get cheaper.

Indeed , although I would expect flights to get cheaper as more return to service , again it's the much heralded Australian ( and NZ ) response to Covid which is now being shown as daft ( you cannot isolate yourself out of a pandemic , vaccination is the only way ) which is resulting in the pricing of the flights , as I put Dereck did not refuse to pay for them , as it was an obligation of the contracts 

2 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Indeed , although I would expect flights to get cheaper as more return to service , again it's the much heralded Australian ( and NZ ) response to Covid which is now being shown as daft ( you cannot isolate yourself out of a pandemic , vaccination is the only way ) which is resulting in the pricing of the flights , as I put Dereck did not refuse to pay for them , as it was an obligation of the contracts 

That's all true, but ultimately is irrelevant if the prices don't get cheaper (which there is no guarantee for) and the players are still sat waiting to fly home in December or beyond.

16 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

I am glad he wasn't refusing.  Just delaying until an unspecified future time when a variable reaches an unstated level as the trigger to take action.  But again, glad he wasn't refusing.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

12 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

excepting covid seasons obviously , when nothing really matters 

Tell that to Mr Beaumont, he may well - if the legal's he is employing advise him he has a case to fight - taking the rudiments of this past Covid season much further, he obviously thinks it really matters.

Me, I would sooner accept Leigh are relegated and play out next season trying to win promotion or whatever it is. But I do feel for Fev having won 7 games more than Toulouse who have a 13/13 record but one of those was a match forfeit by London.

In SL any team had to play a minimum of 18 games, why can a team be crowned qualify only playing 12?

5 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Tell that to Mr Beaumont, he may well - if the legal's he is employing advise him he has a case to fight - taking the rudiments of this past Covid season much further, he obviously thinks it really matters.

Me, I would sooner accept Leigh are relegated and play out next season trying to win promotion or whatever it is. But I do feel for Fev having won 7 games more than Toulouse who have a 13/13 record but one of those was a match forfeit by London.

In SL any team had to play a minimum of 18 games, why can a team be crowned qualify only playing 12?

I agree Harry , except we are in SL ( ATM ) therefore it's got nothing to do with us IMO , if Fev or any other club want to make an issue of it , then fine 

We threw the dice Harry , and got ' snake eyes ' 

Beaumont has never struck me as one who listens to what "legal" or anyone else has to say. Reading what he wrote, and from previous outbursts, he comes over as a highly driven guy used to getting his own way through the use of what appear to be a somewhat aggressive approach.

It's great that he is so committed to the club and has kept it alive, but must be limits to how much he is prepared to donate to keep his dream alive.  In SL, he's playing with club owners significantly more wealthy and successful than he is. AB Sundecks in a small business by any measure, with around £5 million turnover and around 50 employees.  If he wants to be taken seriously by the rest of SL, he needs an urgent change in attitude and approach.

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Because every team in the Championship didn’t/wouldn’t travel to France maybe,whereas in Superleague they did.

3 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Did Fev not want to go there a few weeks ago and Toulouse kiboshed it, or have I dreamt that?

They suddenly did when they had already lost their home fixture and decided that they could now do 10 days quarantine rather than 5...

On 13/09/2021 at 09:16, whatmichaelsays said:

People sometimes wonder why RL struggles to attract talented people to come into key positions in running clubs and the sport. 

When you see comments in the press from people like Beaumont, Carter and their ilk, you realise it's not about money, but about culture. Who in their right mind, with any degree of choice over where they work, would want to work for people who would come across as old fashioned even by Victorian workhouse standards? 

I don't think anyone would question Beaumont's passion for Leigh, but he really ought to learn to channel that professionally if he wants people to take him seriously. 

Absolutely spot on. The culture in many places lacks professionalism. 

15 hours ago, Tabby said:

Method in madness. You get your point over to individuals.

Transactional Leadership at best… toxic at worst. 

Archived