Derek Beaumont's Programme Notes

Chris22

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

What higher league could Leigh have been in to recruit? I've no doubt at least 2 clubs in Super League operated on lower potential budgets than Leigh this season (Wakey and Salford), but Leigh couldn't get anybody of serious quality to sign for them. With the toxic culture in the club organisation, exposed in full force by Beaumont’s comments last weekend, money didn't talk.

They also had structure in place. Super League structure that is.

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

All fair enough.  But in what way does it mitigate the terrible leadership he has displayed by publicly slagging off his playing staff?

This. If the playing rota is so under pressure, openly criticising them doesn’t make sense. It’s a pretty toxic action IMO.

Culturally, there’s an issue. Sweaty openly said the players were out until 0700hrs the night before the Catalan game. That’s an institutional culture issue. Poor/lack of leadership. And it’s starts at the top. 

4 minutes ago, LeeF said:

All the cash is in the Bank according to the thread last week

As I intimated earlier chaps, there will be a lot of people very upset if Dr Koukash joins forces with Derek and they have their combined spondulic's to spend, if it happens as a lot of people are calling for in a SL Cap increase I doubt many players would turn them down.

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

First and foremost, don't do any of it in public and don't group people together to slag them all off.  All that will do is disenfranchise those who are working hard and trying their best.

In any organisation there are underperformers to identify and manage out. But you do that behind closed doors and you don't let that impact the wider culture in the business.  Praise widely and challenge those who need to be challenged. 

As a leader he should be showing positivity - not just for those there today but also to attract talent in the future.

In any organisation there are 5% or so who spread disharmony and create a toxic culture.  Leadership is about identifying and removing that.  Unfortunately, one of the 5% here may be the leader.

The one thing you can guarantee in this sport is a closed door. The lack of communication, dribs and drabs from leaky journos. SL have created the toxic culture which resides in the sport. Once you start pointing fingers some will roll over. DB won’t.

1 minute ago, Tabby said:

The one thing you can guarantee in this sport is a closed door. The lack of communication, dribs and drabs from leaky journos. SL have created the toxic culture which resides in the sport. Once you start pointing fingers some will roll over. DB won’t.

Do you not think that your programme piece, aimed at the Leigh players at the weekend, will go a long way towards creating a toxic atmosphere at your club or do you think it will create a better atmosphere?

4 minutes ago, Tabby said:

I think I will draw our little chat to a close.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 minute ago, Lowdesert said:

Do you not think that your programme piece, aimed at the Leigh players at the weekend, will go a long way towards creating a toxic atmosphere at your club or do you think it will create a better atmosphere?

It has already had a positive effect on the town and brought us all closer. The rolloking has been missed for a few seasons now.

1 minute ago, Tabby said:

It has already had a positive effect on the town and brought us all closer. The rolloking has been missed for a few seasons now.

On the Town?  Does the whole Town of Leigh think the same way then?

Do you think you have hit upon something that Vince Lombardi missed?  To hit your best assets with a big stick?

15 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

As I intimated earlier chaps, there will be a lot of people very upset if Dr Koukash joins forces with Derek and they have their combined spondulic's to spend, if it happens as a lot of people are calling for in a SL Cap increase I doubt many players would turn them down.

Wow, you drunk the Kool aid 

5 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

On the Town?  Does the whole Town of Leigh think the same way then?

Do you think you have hit upon something that Vince Lombardi missed?  To hit your best assets with a big stick?

As was stated by DB everything was in place and a visa. I’m not privy to why he back tracked. As for the town we are stronger than ever.

23 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

2 things.  (1) it’s Dr Marwan so almost certainly won’t happen.  See Gold Coast Titans, Cumbria Lakers and Liverpool RLFC for further details. (2) very few people will be very upset.  Degsy and his bragging, shouting and screaming like a spoiled 12 year old has only kept the status quo of about 2500 Leigh fans.  Having the Dr on board will push that to….what….3000 at best?  You’ll come up, go down, come up etc for the next 20 years.  Won’t register with many people at all tbh? 🤷‍♂️

1 minute ago, Dallas Mead said:

2 things.  (1) it’s Dr Marwan so almost certainly won’t happen.  See Gold Coast Titans, Cumbria Lakers and Liverpool RLFC for further details. (2) very few people will be very upset.  Degsy and his bragging, shouting and screaming like a spoiled 12 year old has only kept the status quo of about 2500 Leigh fans.  Having the Dr on board will push that to….what….3000 at best?  You’ll come up, go down, come up etc for the next 20 years.  Won’t register with many people at all tbh? 🤷‍♂️

You need to get out of this mentality of self made millionaire, living in a council house and one parent family. Calling him spoiled is a level you’ll never see without winning the lottery.

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

You have managed to write in four paragraphs your complete lack of comprehending what has been going on at Leigh this season, but don't let facts get in the way of your imagination.

Come on then Harry, elighten me. As someone who is clearly much closer to the club that I, what pertinent details am I missing in assessing Beaumont's leadership style? 

Do you disagree that treating people with respect, treating them as human beings and being supportive of them can encourage them to perform to the best of their abilities, far better than some of the tactics that Beaumont has displayed could do?

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

In respect of the playing roster, at the outset the weakest of all the teams but the numbers of players available for most of the season has been really bad, and even when 17 could be put out there has been 4 half backs in the starting lineup many times playing in the forwards.

What part of "Leigh have been handicapped this season" made you think that I wasn't referring to the fact that Leigh had a weaker playing roster? 

But other clubs, such as Salford, have shown that you can achieve more than the sum of your parts with the right approach and attitude. 

I'm not saying (and indeed, was very explicit about this) that a better culture would have kept Leigh up. But do I think that it could have resulted in more competitive performances? I certainly don't think it would have hurt. 

Again. Why is being a millionaire some kind of get out jail card for acting poorly?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

56 minutes ago, Damien said:

I don't need to. If London can be more competitive than Leigh in SL, despite spending considerably less, then it obviously isn't all about the money. There are a myriad of factors at play

You also answered a question with a question. A question that again shows that it isn't about the money if a full time london team is performing worse than part time teams spending considerably less. You are arguing against yourself.

I simply asked why London had not been competitive as a full time squad in Championship this season. You brought London in to equation.

Archived