Hunslet match

town4me

A spokesperson from Betfred League 1 said: "Workington Town receive a bye through the first weekend as their reward for finishing second in the table, and they will then host the winners of the Qualifying Play-Off – North Wales or Keighley in the Qualifying Semi Final on Sunday September 26th (2pm kick-off), with the winners taking the direct route to the Final, and securing home advantage in it."  

Just read this and it appears that if we lose that major semi we lose home advantage if we make the Final , which is different to what I thought 

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, DavidM said:

A spokesperson from Betfred League 1 said: "Workington Town receive a bye through the first weekend as their reward for finishing second in the table, and they will then host the winners of the Qualifying Play-Off – North Wales or Keighley in the Qualifying Semi Final on Sunday September 26th (2pm kick-off), with the winners taking the direct route to the Final, and securing home advantage in it."  

Just read this and it appears that if we lose that major semi we lose home advantage if we make the Final , which is different to what I thought 

Probably just changed it, made a note on the back of a fag packet and thought that sounds better. It originally said team finishing 2nd had home advantage right through. 

28 minutes ago, IanMac said:

Probably just changed it, made a note on the back of a fag packet and thought that sounds better. It originally said team finishing 2nd had home advantage right through. 

Wouldn’t be at all surprised if they thought long and hard about it last night for at least ten seconds . I don’t think one game should outweigh 15 games , and I reckon that’s how it was originally 

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

Wouldn’t be at all surprised if they thought long and hard about it last night for at least ten seconds . I don’t think one game should outweigh 15 games , and I reckon that’s how it was originally 

2 hours ago, DavidM said:

It appears to me, DavidM, that the RFL have changed the rules when they realised it was Town finishing in the top play off place….. just as they did with the parachute payment for relegation in 1996… just as they did in 2018 with that extra game at Swinton. It makes you wonder why we bother?

And don’t be surprised if we get Crashley again in 2 weeks time, the RFL have form in that respect too.

If we get Crashley again in two weeks time we need to rise above his pathetic performance. The fact that he awarded Hunslet 10 penalties to Town’s 2 penalties shows either he blatantly favoured them or our players played right into their hands by  mouthing off. We need be able to rise above that.  

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

13 minutes ago, Keith T said:

If we get Crashley again in two weeks time we need to rise above his pathetic performance. The fact that he awarded Hunslet 10 penalties to Town’s 2 penalties shows either he blatantly favoured them or our players played right into their hands by  mouthing off. We need be able to rise above that.  

Keith he’s the same for us he just hates Cumbrian sides the games he’s enough without having to play against 14 men 

1 hour ago, Keith T said:

I'd hope we put a complaint in about him to the RFL. I'm sure this is the bloke who once sent one of our players off in the first 5 or 10 mins of a friendly against Haven for an innocuous challenge that even the Haven lads were mystified about.

There was only Brad who  got frustrated with his reffing and gave back chat and got penalised for it. Meanwhile all the Hunslet subs and coaching staff were stood on the old speedway track/ touchline complaining and pressing him for decisions.  It does wind the crowd up when he's laughing and joking with opposition players like they are old friends. It also winds me up when he only pings one team for off side. We were off side so fair enough, but both sides were, so you either penalise both or neither if you are being fair.

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

11 hours ago, The Voodooguru said:

I'd hope we put a complaint in about him to the RFL. I'm sure this is the bloke who once sent one of our players off in the first 5 or 10 mins of a friendly against Haven for an innocuous challenge that even the Haven lads were mystified about.

There was only Brad who  got frustrated with his reffing and gave back chat and got penalised for it. Meanwhile all the Hunslet subs and coaching staff were stood on the old speedway track/ touchline complaining and pressing him for decisions.  It does wind the crowd up when he's laughing and joking with opposition players like they are old friends. It also winds me up when he only pings one team for off side. We were off side so fair enough, but both sides were, so you either penalise both or neither if you are being fair.

Hunslet left edge were off at every play the ball, stood right next to him but he never once even warned them, no bias from Crashley, just plain incompetence, the length of time he has reffed at this level speaks volumes about his ability unfortunately.

18 hours ago, DavidM said:

I’d like to think young Marwood would be in the playoffs 17 , I just think he adds a spark and gets himself involved in the play and around the ruck . We’ve looked a bit lacking energy and he brings that . 

Agreed, especially with Henson not looking 100% yet playing 80?

18 hours ago, IanMac said:

In past seasons its always been the case that if the 2nd place team loses the qualifying final to the team who finished 3rd they lose the privilege of hosting the final

3 hours ago, Onreport said:

Hunslet left edge were off at every play the ball, stood right next to him but he never once even warned them, no bias from Crashley, just plain incompetence, the length of time he has reffed at this level speaks volumes about his ability unfortunately.

3 hours ago, Onreport said:

Aye and at 1 point he shouted at Buffer offside from a kick and it was buffer who kicked it, totally incompetent, he can’t like buffer much because he penalised him at Barrow when Daisy Dallimore run straight at him, rolled around in agony then got straight up and kicked the goal to draw the match.

your right he has been at this level for years  for a reason and only got worse.

Teams playing Town now are using their biggest forwards to go up the middle , dominate our guys and get a quick play the ball .our lighter forwards drive it in well but can`t shake off the bigger men in the tackle and so we get a slow play the ball.Unfortunately this wont change in the play offs .Also agree with some posters about our last tackle kicks , we seem to get better results with the chip and chase than just kicking downfield as we never turn the full backs/wingers round .With our lack of size we are where we are , but like a few have said a Plan B is needed .Good luck to the boys going forward , we have done far better than anyone expected , effort is always 100% , we just need to get the job done .UTT.

1 hour ago, bobg said:

Aye and at 1 point he shouted at Buffer offside from a kick and it was buffer who kicked it, totally incompetent, he can’t like buffer much because he penalised him at Barrow when Daisy Dallimore run straight at him, rolled around in agony then got straight up and kicked the goal to draw the match.

your right he has been at this level for years  for a reason and only got worse.

Not only that Bob, but in the Barrow match, in the last minute we were attacking 30 yards out and Mattie Henson saw their 2 acting half backs standing side by side, so he pointed at the outside one and ran straight at him to be tackled. A penalty any day of the week, but Crashley refused to give it. Buffer would have backheeled it over, so he cheated us out of a win there.

I know he got off the field as quickly as he could on Sunday, but I was still amazed he didn’t get any abuse from the stand. Not of course that I would condone such abuse Bob!

1 hour ago, Joe Aitcheson said:

Not only that Bob, but in the Barrow match, in the last minute we were attacking 30 yards out and Mattie Henson saw their 2 acting half backs standing side by side, so he pointed at the outside one and ran straight at him to be tackled. A penalty any day of the week, but Crashley refused to give it. Buffer would have backheeled it over, so he cheated us out of a win there.

I know he got off the field as quickly as he could on Sunday, but I was still amazed he didn’t get any abuse from the stand. Not of course that I would condone such abuse Bob!

100%,    dead set penalty in any other game i have ever seen

4 hours ago, Joe Aitcheson said:

Your right Joe, dead set penalty , it is a shame that referees are not assessed anymore, Crashley wouldn’t even be at this level if they were, he is even worse than his father was.

1 hour ago, bobg said:

Your right Joe, dead set penalty , it is a shame that referees are not assessed anymore, Crashley wouldn’t even be at this level if they were, he is even worse than his father was.

Who was his father Bob, Peter Geraghty maybe ( he of the fictitious coin that hit him in the eye from 30 yards), or that clown of a milkman from Castleford?

On 13/09/2021 at 19:49, wiganlad said:

Don’t think there is a rfl conspiracy against town. 

A director of another club told me that the problem is that Town as a club are just too nice. They try to be everyone's mate and don't kick up a fuss like other clubs do when things go against them.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

5 hours ago, bobg said:

Gosh Joe, you have a good memory, 

You sure about that Bob?  I can remember the 1st time we spoke, celebrating on the pitch at York, after a Challenge cup win in , I think, 1974. And I can remember every time you beat me at squash on a Saturday, before an A team match (primarily cos it didn’t happen very often!?!). But ask me what I had for dinner last night, and I struggle! Old age and red wine, Bob.

Archived