Hunslet match

town4me

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Derwent said:

A director of another club told me that the problem is that Town as a club are just too nice. They try to be everyone's mate and don't kick up a fuss like other clubs do when things go against them.

The club might not kick up a fuss but the fans make up for it.

58 minutes ago, Joe Aitcheson said:

You sure about that Bob?  I can remember the 1st time we spoke, celebrating on the pitch at York, after a Challenge cup win in , I think, 1974. And I can remember every time you beat me at squash on a Saturday, before an A team match (primarily cos it didn’t happen very often!?!). But ask me what I had for dinner last night, and I struggle! Old age and red wine, Bob.

You’re right Joe, I didn’t beat you very often, but when I did it was usually a big win haha.

Them where the days mate.

Red wine and old age a dangerous combination.

5 hours ago, DavidM said:

Totally exclusive in the world of rugby league to Town fans I’m sure 

The fans surely deserve to know whats going on at the club to a extent fans pay money on the gate every week some sponsor players some pay monthly to help the club and at present getting nothing in return and if the club don't move with the times they will be left behind 

12 hours ago, town2018 said:

The fans surely deserve to know whats going on at the club to a extent fans pay money on the gate every week some sponsor players some pay monthly to help the club and at present getting nothing in return and if the club don't move with the times they will be left behind 

Hi town2018. 

Thanks for your concern. 

Please email graemepeerstownrlfc@gmail.com 

With your feedback on what we're doing / not doing. 

More than happy to take your feedback and discuss. 

Graeme 

Director 

Workington Town RLFC 

1 hour ago, havenhater said:

Greame, personally think your doing a great job and people don't understand what the role entails.

But any club word on if we can sign anyone or not for the play offs with no game this weekend an update would be appreciated for us doe hards 

We can sign amateur or academy players or anyone who has not previously had a professional contract in 2019/20/21. If we do acquire a player it will be announced through the official club channels. 

Graeme 

29 minutes ago, Town utd said:

supporters should not have to email a director for news on the club,team news and updates on things connected with the club should be put on clubs website,more information on club matters gets more people interested 👍

Think you may have misunderstood what the offer was, it was discuss to what the person felt were the deficiencies in the club in relation to a couple of points made. 

Not to run into the detail of each of the situations you have mentioned and to see if l could help and take on board any feedback, as l will with your comments. 

Our social media channels often have the information you mention but we appreciate that not everyone uses those channels, also all of our support staff that work in these  areas are volunteers so any shortfalls aren't deliberate or intended. 

Graeme 

1 hour ago, Town utd said:

supporters should not have to email a director for news on the club,team news and updates on things connected with the club should be put on clubs website,more information on club matters gets more people interested 👍

Maybe you could volunteer to help the volunteers who do all this.

I see the Hunslet player who laid Fitzy out hasn’t been charged because the video is inconclusive. You’d have thought  the concussion suffered by the player would have given them a clue. They should have produced the photo Gary McKeating got of it, fairly conclusive with that. 
When you think of some of the trivial things that suspensions are handed down for but a direct attack to the head doesn’t warrant one the games a bit of a joke. 

On 15/09/2021 at 15:25, Joe Aitcheson said:

You sure about that Bob?  I can remember the 1st time we spoke, celebrating on the pitch at York, after a Challenge cup win in , I think, 1974. And I can remember every time you beat me at squash on a Saturday, before an A team match (primarily cos it didn’t happen very often!?!). But ask me what I had for dinner last night, and I struggle! Old age and red wine, Bob.

Was that the match where Ian Wright stopped a try at the end with an interception on our line and ran diagonally the length of the field to score in the corner , or was that a later league game ?

15 hours ago, Town utd said:

I'm sorry I know the club officials are volunteers but there really isn't much information given out to fans. If Gary doesn't do an interview with Chris that week there's virtually no news. I go looking on the News and Star ..nothing...I go to Radio Cumbria Sport for interviews which other clubs do...nothing . I know I'll get the usual if you can do better then get involved but if you don't point it out then maybe officials will think everything's fine. 

The two things personally believe would go a long way would be a statement every time a player leaves the club just so fans know and players are thanked for there efforts and ends speculation, and a weekly physios update on how injured players are recovering after the 21 man squad has been named but everything is a fine balance and as supporters we have to appreciate thats not always possible

Has any contact been made with barrow to understand in detail what they have done to expand on there off side of the club? They have a jets programme for kids, academy team, woman’s team and a number of other community activities around health and well being. On top of that I think they have (but may be wrong) created a number of paid positions in key roles as they have identified the importance of the role and what it can do for the club. 
The chairman’s weekly update in the local paper comes across as it they have a clear business plan and know how they want to take the club forward. 

It feels like trying to tap into this could only be a good thing, just my thoughts anyway. 

We all understand that we have hardworking volunteers but I often think there’s more we can do just to engage fans and potential fans , as well as  wider spread supporters . Fans who can’t go ? Match highlights are number one , I’m sure clubs like Hunslet have limitations and volunteers , but they have a good set up of highlights and coaches / captains comments . Is this difficult when every game is filmed ? I don’t know . We hear from Chris now and again ,I think that should be a regular thing , with more interviews and insight from players to . And we should get this across our platforms , especially getting more use from YouTube as well . Injury updates and general updates on what’s going on as we always seem to have more questions than answers . I’m throwing this out , I don’t know what we can or can’t do but you just feel some things to keep fans engaged and in the loop 

2 hours ago, ivans82 said:

Was that the match where Ian Wright stopped a try at the end with an interception on our line and ran diagonally the length of the field to score in the corner , or was that a later league game ?

See below.....

2 hours ago, ivans82 said:

You sure about that Bob?  I can remember the 1st time we spoke, celebrating on the pitch at York, after a Challenge cup win in , I think, 1974.

Jan 28th 1973..................RL Challenge Cup...York 19 v Workington Town 24.

Town scorers:  Tries - MacCorquodale, Tait, McQuire, Allen...Goals_ MacQorquodale 5, Maxwell 1.

Town team; Risman, Atkinson, Tait, Wright, MacCorquodale, McQuire, Newall, Calvin, Allen, Maxwell, L.Gorley, Banks, Goodall.

So Ian Wright played but didn't score....Town didn't play York in league that season....but they did play them 3 times in next season 1973/74 and again Ian Wright wasn't amongst the scorers.

5 hours ago, ivans82 said:

Following on from Chromedome’s reply, I dont recall the match when Ian Wright scored that long range diagonal try, so I mustn’t have been there, as Ian was my favourite player from the 60’s and 70’s, along with Paul Charlton. My only real memory of the York cup tie was the prop , Bob (?) Maxwell, dropping a goal at the end to push us 5 points up.

53 minutes ago, Joe Aitcheson said:

Following on from Chromedome’s reply, I dont recall the match when Ian Wright scored that long range diagonal try, so I mustn’t have been there, as Ian was my favourite player from the 60’s and 70’s, along with Paul Charlton. My only real memory of the York cup tie was the prop , Bob (?) Maxwell, dropping a goal at the end to push us 5 points up.

Re Ian Wright and long range try as recalled by ivans82....Ian did score away at York on Sept 7th 1975 when Town won by 22 -10....so I'm guessing that was the try ivans can recall ?

Archived