Ralph Rimmer gives an Interview

Tommygilf

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I've not read it yet but here you go

I had no confidence in Rimmer before this interview and i haven't changed my mind after reading it. He waffles on, but i see nothing concrete in the interview that gives me confidence in the game all the while he is at the RFL

Some incredible things here. He says that we've never been as strong politically, then in the next breath that we have been in a politically sensitive moment?

There seems to be no idea what is happening with Ottawa. London have gone part time with seemingly no strategy for the game in the capital. Same applies to Coventry.

We just seem to think if we change the structure again, everything will be fine. It's naive and depressing.

There are a lot of references to a 'strategic partner' in the transcript I read. 

He does paint a really optimistic picture too. 

Hopefully that isn't misguided and he knows some stuff. 

He suggests a Championship TV deal will be announced soon. 

8 minutes ago, Dave T said:

There are a lot of references to a 'strategic partner' in the transcript I read. 

He does paint a really optimistic picture too. 

Hopefully that isn't misguided and he knows some stuff. 

He suggests a Championship TV deal will be announced soon. 

He also suggests that 2023 the strategic partner will be presenting something that will invite significant funding.

I can’t be bothered to read it, I know exactly what it will say - ie loads of cliched waffle with zero substance or meaningful information. I assume he’s a nice bloke but I have zero confidence in Rimmer in this massively important job, and have rarely heard him answer a question. 

12 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I can’t be bothered to read it, I know exactly what it will say - ie loads of cliched waffle with zero substance or meaningful information. I assume he’s a nice bloke but I have zero confidence in Rimmer in this massively important job, and have rarely heard him answer a question. 

You've read it haven't you, you clever sausage! 

An issue I have with Rimmer is that he appears too waffly and rather too pragmatic (which ultimately comes across as wishy-washy). I'm all for pragmatism, but I think he goes too far. 

Nigel Wood had a lot of criticism, and many didn't agree with many of his ideas and strategies, but I had confidence that he could deliver some stuff. I said it at the time, but delivering the last TV deal was an astounding deal to get implemented. Not the value, but the splits, including funding for foundations etc. 

Just now, zylya said:

For the most part, I didn't really feel like any of the questions were answered. I get that sometimes it can be tough because you can't give much detail in this format when matters are ongoing, but it didn't inspire a lot of confidence!

Yes, it was very vague and almost a 'watch this space' kind of answer to everything. Which is fine if answers will come in the next few weeks, but I think he is talking 2 years for some. 

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

Yes, it was very vague and almost a 'watch this space' kind of answer to everything. Which is fine if answers will come in the next few weeks, but I think he is talking 2 years for some. 

If they even come at all...

6 minutes ago, Dave T said:

He’s been talking like that for as long as I can remember, it’s incredibly frustrating, more of a third rate politician than an administrator. 

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

He’s been talking like that for as long as I can remember, it’s incredibly frustrating, more of a third rate politician than an administrator. 

Yeah, I think he needs a couple of 'wins' to his name tbh. The government covid funding was well navigated, but then covid support was given to many areas. 

Unfortunately, he comes across as a bit of a neanderthal. Really old fashioned view of 'sorry, can't tell you that because.... Politics'. 

Unfortunately he doesn't have the credibility for you to believe those answers and have confidence that good things are coming. 

18 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Yeah, I think he needs a couple of 'wins' to his name tbh. The government covid funding was well navigated, but then covid support was given to many areas. 

Was it well navigated though? I mean really what did he do to get it, and what was it used for? I really don’t like rubbishing people, and he seems like a decent chap, but he is way out of his depth and because I love RL I’m worried that with him at the helm the game as we know it will be finished off. 

Parts of it are very worrying as he comes across as quite deluded as to where the game stands. Some of what he says seems purely designed to justify his own role. The harmonious picture he paints when it comes to partners doesn't really tally when Sky have reduced their funding by about 40% and given the sport an ultimatum.

16 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

Well, I made myself read through it all - but I really was none the wiser at the end

He really just comes across as a man of very little substance

6 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Was it well navigated though? I mean really what did he do to get it, and what was it used for? I really don’t like rubbishing people, and he seems like a decent chap, but he is way out of his depth and because I love RL I’m worried that with him at the helm the game as we know it will be finished off. 

2 minutes ago, Damien said:

Parts of it are very worrying as he comes across as quite deluded as to where the game stands. Some of what he says seems purely designed to justify his own role. The harmonious picture he paints when it comes to partners doesn't really tally when Sky have reduced their funding by about 40% and given the sport an ultimatum.

He;s trying to justify his wages as he knows he couldn't get the money he's getting at the RFL anywhere else,

Archived