Oldham

Eddie

5 hours ago, Eddie said:

So a fair few kids in the town still like and watch RL then, even if they’re supporting other clubs. That’s something at least! 

If they follow soccer it's united and City, they don't support the Latics. If it's rugby league it's Leeds, Wigan, St Helens etc. It's easier to glory support, I bet most people who wear these shirts have barely been to watch a game of the team they supposedly follow. It's easier to watch on sky. 

21 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

It seems like the Rhinos are taking an active role in RL in and around Oldham. I believe there is a college team/Cat3 being set up there.

Oldham's decline has been dreadful. Without a home of their own they're basically stuffed forever now. Its a stark reminder to heartland clubs of how bad it can get and how quickly.

Without a quick turnaround they risk becoming another Hunslet. 

Saw that cracking Tyler Dupree try earlier today.  Is he on loan at Oldham or have Leeds released him?

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

7 hours ago, Joe 90 said:

Bobby used to be a director @ Rochdale Hornets so i would not be surprised if Oldham or RL was mentioned in their act.

Bobby were a great mate of the late stu smith from rochdale(multi f1 champion stock cars legend) and had a couple of drives at the old belle vue track in smiffys car,

rip old lads.     and all the best for oldham for years to come,love the hot vimto.

7 hours ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

Oldham is still a Rugby League town, the amateur set up is still strong, albeit not what it was and,as has been mentioned previously, superleague clubs are signing our youngsters and there are many Oldhamers in superleague. Chris Hamilton has done a sterling job in keeping the club going, but we need some sort of change in direction. In one of my posts on the club forum I say that if you always do what you've always done, then guess what? You'll always get what you've always got. The town would be buzzing if we could get back home in a proper rugby league ground.  I look at the likes of Featherstone with envy, but also pleased for them because they are a proper RL club with a fantastic stadium and brilliant fans, and I look back and think "if only". 😓

I agree with everything you say apart from the bit about Hamilton.

Hes been a disaster for the pro game in our town. Lost at least one generation of supporters on his watch.

The odds are increasingly stacked against Oldham, and that is also a consequence of the not so subtle polarisation even within the game, the Sky deal is a lot less and ORLFC will probably have to get by with even less RFL funding  as Super League will insist on the Lions  Share.

My view is the situation above will indeed be a further death knell to the many teams not at the top table...

There may be a point when even Chris sees hes on a losing battle, the man has had his share of recent health issues to deal with as it is...The question is Just what will happen IF Chris did call it a day as I am absolutely convinced that running a RL Club is far far harder than any of us realise on this forum.

Is the suggestion of a link up with St. Annes a serious possibility or just wishful thinking?   There is no doubt that playing back in Oldham is the only hope of long-term survival and Boundary Park is out of the question.  They have enough problems of their own at the Latics and in any case moving in there after Sheddings was the start of the decline. If I can believe what I was told by a previous owner (J Quinn) the first 1,000 spectators through the Boundary Park gates went straight to pay the rent that the Football Club were charging the Bears at the time.

Is Manor Park (once the home of Manchester Knights in the ill-fated National League Three) out of the question?

4 hours ago, herbie said:

I agree with everything you say apart from the bit about Hamilton.

Hes been a disaster for the pro game in our town. Lost at least one generation of supporters on his watch.

There's nothing to disagree with, as I said he kept the club going. Never said it was successful or where fans wanted it to be, the club, albeit not the original Oldham Football Club which died in 1997, is still going.

On 13/09/2021 at 19:00, Bedford Roughyed said:

I have lost track at the number of things that would lead to disillusioned fans returning.

Play games in Oldham borough and they will return?  No noticeable returnees.

Bring in new board members and they will return?  No noticeable returnees.

Play in red and white hoops and they will return?  No noticeable returnees.

Play local young lads and they will return?  Complained we din't have enough experience on the pitch.

Play in a local park as long as its in Oldham?  Complained Whitebank was substandard and vowed never to return.  

Give free tickets to schools?  Complained about the number of kids running riot.  

Did they ever ask for watching their team win more than  4 games a season -? 

On 14/09/2021 at 20:51, Rowan said:

Is the suggestion of a link up with St. Annes a serious possibility or just wishful thinking?   There is no doubt that playing back in Oldham is the only hope of long-term survival and Boundary Park is out of the question.  They have enough problems of their own at the Latics and in any case moving in there after Sheddings was the start of the decline. If I can believe what I was told by a previous owner (J Quinn) the first 1,000 spectators through the Boundary Park gates went straight to pay the rent that the Football Club were charging the Bears at the time.

Is Manor Park (once the home of Manchester Knights in the ill-fated National League Three) out of the question?

I believe it was a suggestion from one of the parties to the other a couple of years ago. I think events overtook the possibility of it happening. But now?  it might still be on the cards, who knows.  Hope so! Trouble is no one knows what's happening with regards to the leagues and funding. So we, as fans, have to sit back and hope.

On 14/09/2021 at 13:25, moorside roughyed said:

If they follow soccer it's united and City, they don't support the Latics. If it's rugby league it's Leeds, Wigan, St Helens etc. It's easier to glory support, I bet most people who wear these shirts have barely been to watch a game of the team they supposedly follow. It's easier to watch on sky. 

To be fair the more that watch RL on sky the better for negotiating new TV deals.

I will be watching all the play off games on sky as I did the middle 8s. If everyone did this Sky might have paud to show the championship games again.

On 14/09/2021 at 18:59, eclecticsheep said:

The odds are increasingly stacked against Oldham, and that is also a consequence of the not so subtle polarisation even within the game, the Sky deal is a lot less and ORLFC will probably have to get by with even less RFL funding  as Super League will insist on the Lions  Share.

My view is the situation above will indeed be a further death knell to the many teams not at the top table...

There may be a point when even Chris sees hes on a losing battle, the man has had his share of recent health issues to deal with as it is...The question is Just what will happen IF Chris did call it a day as I am absolutely convinced that running a RL Club is far far harder than any of us realise on this forum.

Just on SL insisting on the lions share.. how many times has Oldham been on sky this year..

That is why the SL clubs should get the lions share.

Oldham like all clubs in their position should re-group and look to build around the community game, maybe even forge a link up to a SL club so at least the best kids have an affiliation with Oldham.

Archived