Oldham (H)

Wakefield Ram

Many of this Oldham team will be on their way at the season's end. Any that we might fancy?

Rams 28 - 18 Roughyeds 

FTS: Finn

Att: 750

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

7 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Many of this Oldham team will be on their way at the season's end. Any that we might fancy?

Rams 28 - 18 Roughyeds 

FTS: Finn

Att: 750

Probably the ones we’d like have already been taken by other clubs, one being Martyn Reilly, who I believe is to play for Sheffield next season. 

Legs, Dews, Legs.

With nothing to lose, will Oldham come to spoil the party, like Warrington did for Castleford on Thursday night?

Will this, our final game of the season, see us cutting lose and giving Liam Finn (and other departing souls) a fine send off?

Will this, our final game of the season, see us win three successive matches for the first time this year?

Will this, our final game of the season, see us grab our highest score this year?

Come along and see what the outcome might be.

Dewsbury 32-18 Oldham 

FTS: Tomlinson

MoM: Garratt

Att: 702

Legs, Dews, Legs.

Well that was hard work, but the players pulled it out of the bag at the end. Good to see Finn outthinking the opposition to the end with the pass to Sykes for the drop goal.

Shame that Garratt had to miss the 2nd half, but think he'll go well at Hull K R. 

But we struggled to deal with Oldham's spoiling tactics and the referee allowed far too much lying on which slowed the game down.

Started well and when we went 8-0 up I thought we might press home, but wasn't to be.

Despite a lot of time in the Oldham 20, we couldn't score and  still need more of a cutting edge near the line, but at least we tried to play some rugby.

Credit to the number of Oldham fans who made the trip despite it being a dead rubber for them.

So we finished 10th in the end with 3 wins to round off the season, so credit to the boys for finishing on a high.

I have seen many a game over the years but that was as poor a match I have seen for a long time - we didn’t really start playing until the 75th minute or so and I think Oldham deserved more for their efforts (and full marks to their fans for their support) but a win’s a win and nice for Liam to sign off with a victory. A big thanks for your efforts Liam and your contribution to the wonderful roller coaster that is DRLFC.

21 hours ago, Reverend Ram said:

I have seen many a game over the years but that was as poor a match I have seen for a long time - we didn’t really start playing until the 75th minute or so and I think Oldham deserved more for their efforts (and full marks to their fans for their support) but a win’s a win and nice for Liam to sign off with a victory. A big thanks for your efforts Liam and your contribution to the wonderful roller coaster that is DRLFC.

You obviously didn't go to Oldham away, that was even worse. We scored 3 tries, two of them were from Oldham dropping the ball and us picking up and running in to score.  My son persuaded me to go and afterwards he apologised and said it was the worst game he'd ever seen and I think he was right. 80 mins of us taking 1 man drives followed by an effective kick to their full back.

To be fair yesterday Oldham came with a game plan of lying on and being offside so we had no room to do much and the referee didn't want to do anything about it.

And how the Oldham player who tip tackled Fleming didn't get a red card was a mystery.

It is reckoned that a win is a win, but there are better ways of getting one than we just managed. Oldham came to spoil the party and were about five minutes short of doing so. Their tactics from the outset were, it seemed, to frustrate our play. The offside ploy and laying on in the tackle was quite successful, given that our referee missed lots, or chose not to see things (both parties being guilty of offside I would submit). All that aside, weren’t we poor! I thought that once we settled and got those two quick tries we would press Oldham hard  and grab a few more, but no, things just drifted back to the way we have played in recent games and allowing our visitors to take the initiative. With that, they themselves scored two good tries and with the vociferous backing of the travelling supporters, were good value to watch at times. 

Stalemate in the second half, save an Oldham penalty conversion, was only broken when Ryder managed to grab his second try on 73 minutes, with Sykes converting from the touch line, having missed two in the first half, with one of them coming out off the upright. That score must have hit the Roughyeds players hard, after constantly looking like they would score, but being unable to finish. Then a couple of minutes later, a quick movement of the ball to Sykes, saw him land his drop goal. That was it for Oldham and it was no surprise when  Knowles was on hand to collect a cross field kick to touch down and by the time Sykes lined up the conversion, the hooter had sounded.

Not exactly a fine footballing send off for Finn, but a fine send off was given to him in the Royal Suite afterwards, he receiving the MoM award, a signed shirt and a poem written and presented to him by one of our supporters.

Thanks must also go to Tom Garratt for his outstanding performances in the Red, Amber and Black and I am sure he is set for greatness in SL and we all wish him well with HKR. A mention also to Matty Fleming for his quality  play for us, in both attack and defence. I’ll bet he proves to be thorn in our side when he turns out for Widnes from now on.

Legs, Dews, Legs.

1 hour ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Chance to re-live the excitement and wonder why Speakman got binned and why Tyler Dupree who did the tip tackle stood waiting to be binned stayed on.

Touch judge reported to the ref "it's a fiery little lad on the Dewsbury team... Unfortunately Speakman was nearer to the ref than Sam Day 🤔🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

On 20/09/2021 at 20:26, Wakefield Ram said:

Chance to re-live the excitement and wonder why Speakman got binned and why Tyler Dupree who did the tip tackle stood waiting to be binned stayed on.

The referee shouted "Don't run in" but Speakman did just that as did Charnock. Hence the cards. 

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

On 22/09/2021 at 15:12, Wakefield Ram said:

But no card for the tip tackle, definitely a yellow, watch the video and Dupree is stood there waiting for his card 

I was replying to the other question WR.

Archived