Jump to content

INTER-SERVICE RUGBY


Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, POR said:

Yes, I've watched a few matches on that channel - men's and women's.

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

Link to comment
Share on other sites


8 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

In recent years I`ve paid more attention to the women`s game in the UK. The disparity between the Army and the rest has generally led in inter-services games to the sort of blowouts you wouldn`t enjoy at all. It will be interesting to see if this combined RN/RAF team are more competitive.

Army 60 RAF 10 in the women`s game.

The ref ruled a PTB with markers on the 20m line after the ball was kicked over the dead-ball line by the attacking team. 

He also called a handover when a player passed the ball off the ground after a tackle was complete. 

Is there something I`m unaware of with both of the above?

For an official to be appointed to a game like this what examination have they gone through to ascertain whether they have a sufficient grasp of the rules?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Army 60 RAF 10 in the women`s game.

The ref ruled a PTB with markers on the 20m line after the ball was kicked over the dead-ball line by the attacking team. 

He also called a handover when a player passed the ball off the ground after a tackle was complete. 

Is there something I`m unaware of with both of the above?

For an official to be appointed to a game like this what examination have they gone through to ascertain whether they have a sufficient grasp of the rules?

It's a funny one that one as now the new defending team if they are quick enough to be in position on the 20 nothing stopping having markers but surely it's a tap and all should be beyond the 30?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Army 60 RAF 10 in the women`s game.

The ref ruled a PTB with markers on the 20m line after the ball was kicked over the dead-ball line by the attacking team. 

He also called a handover when a player passed the ball off the ground after a tackle was complete. 

Is there something I`m unaware of with both of the above?

For an official to be appointed to a game like this what examination have they gone through to ascertain whether they have a sufficient grasp of the rules?

With that one it depends. The rules state the attacker has to get up off the ground once the tackle has been complete to PTB so potentially that decision could have been correct as no Scrums at the min so handover and tackle reset. Or could have been on the last too? 

Edited by BridBeachRL
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Army 60 RAF 10 in the women`s game.

The ref ruled a PTB with markers on the 20m line after the ball was kicked over the dead-ball line by the attacking team. 

He also called a handover when a player passed the ball off the ground after a tackle was complete. 

Is there something I`m unaware of with both of the above?

For an official to be appointed to a game like this what examination have they gone through to ascertain whether they have a sufficient grasp of the rules?

They need to be fully qualified and at the appropriate level this isn't a sarcastic comment but try the rules test for yourself for free which is where they start at. 

 https://www.wlklms.com/rflecom/?product=laws-of-the-game

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, BridBeachRL said:

It's a funny one that one as now the new defending team if they are quick enough to be in position on the 20 nothing stopping having markers but surely it's a tap and all should be beyond the 30?

When the kick went dead, the ref ran to the middle of the 20m line and made the PTB motion that is used to signal a handover. Slightly baffling, but I was still expecting a tap.

As you say, all defenders must be behind the 30m line, and there can`t be markers at a tap anyway.

The Army were the attacking team who kicked the ball dead. I only mentioned the markers because sometimes inexperienced players don`t realise they are allowed them at a handover. Had the RAF players executed a PTB on the 20m line with no Army markers, it could have meant the RAF players didn`t know the rules but the Army players did. The fact that there were markers in place was proof of a basic error by the ref. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, BridBeachRL said:

With that one it depends. The rules state the attacker has to get up off the ground once the tackle has been complete to PTB so potentially that decision could have been correct as no Scrums at the min so handover and tackle reset. Or could have been on the last too? 

Unless the rule has changed if a player passes the ball off the ground after the tackle is complete, the result should be a penalty, not a handover. The incident was on tackle 1, so no last tackle or possible miscount explanation.

I included the line "is there something I`m unaware of" in the earlier post just to cover myself, since the rules are tweaked that often it`s hard to keep track. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, BridBeachRL said:

They need to be fully qualified and at the appropriate level this isn't a sarcastic comment but try the rules test for yourself for free which is where they start at. 

 https://www.wlklms.com/rflecom/?product=laws-of-the-game

This wasn`t a question of arcane rules or interpretations. The bloke refereeing the women`s game yesterday seemed unaware of basics the average person in a RL crowd would be familiar with.

At the 2019 national schools finals it was obvious that most of the refs had a similarly shaky grasp of the rulebook. There was only one ref present (significantly he took the older grades) who really seemed to know what he was doing.

That`s why I asked what qualifications are required for certain types of games. There has to be a suspicion that "learner" officials are being provided for some women`s games and the younger junior grades. Which in my view is remiss, since the less that players and their coaches are conversant with the rules, the more they need the guidance of a competent ref controlling their games.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

OK. That was once.

I just want to know what this supposed "massive potential" is, because personally I don't see it.

Coyd and Clayton were able to get their bosses to agree that the Forces should play RL largely by aligning our sports attributes with those cherished by the Forces - physical and mental toughness , structure and game plan  teamship. stubbornness never to be beat and yes off the cuff flair at critical times.

That works both ways.

The Forces have just  shy of 200 k fit and able personnel between them.  Even the top Community sides are  now wary of meeting them,

Don't forget that the Dark Side spread their game worldwide on the backs of the UK military playing it in their spare time........

A potential  growth area not to be undervalued or overlooked.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 18/09/2021 at 14:48, unapologetic pedant said:

This wasn`t a question of arcane rules or interpretations. The bloke refereeing the women`s game yesterday seemed unaware of basics the average person in a RL crowd would be familiar with.

At the 2019 national schools finals it was obvious that most of the refs had a similarly shaky grasp of the rulebook. There was only one ref present (significantly he took the older grades) who really seemed to know what he was doing.

That`s why I asked what qualifications are required for certain types of games. There has to be a suspicion that "learner" officials are being provided for some women`s games and the younger junior grades. Which in my view is remiss, since the less that players and their coaches are conversant with the rules, the more they need the guidance of a competent ref controlling their games.

https://www.rugby-league.com/get-involved/match-officials/become-a-match-official--

The Army is listed as having their own society of match officials however I imagine the referee was probably from the local society. Its difficult to say for me personally I know there is progression and a development plan to get on the pro match officials etc however I am not sure what the equilivant league structure would be you would expect the referee to be in the NCL at least which is worrying if basic errors. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had the great honour of representing the RNRL in their inaugural match and for their first couple of seasons, including the first tri-service series. They were fantastic times and long overdue! It all happened because of the selfless hard work and dedication of a handful of people within each branch of HM Forces, often fighting against the institutionalised bigotry that still festered within those who felt that there was no room for 'two types' of rugby in the armed forces - I kid you not!  Since those early days it has been good to see Armed Forces RL going from strength to strength, I only wish I had my time again but I'll just have to settle for the  aches and pains that are a constant reminder of happier days.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...