RLWC in France in 2025

26 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Not 100% sure what the news is here.....

...is this a 'Oui, France would love to host the RLWC in 2025' or it is a definitive announcement that it will be hosted in France in 2025?

The right to host the 2025 World Cup has been given to France. The extract above is an announcement of the towns and cities which have had bids accepted (and having to pay for the privilege) for the rights to host teams and games. The level of interest and buy in has been phenomenal. 

This is on the FFR’s website, with Google translation below (remember Google says Union instead of League). 

https://www.ffr13.fr/88-des-francais-favorables-a-lorganisation-de-la-coupe-du-monde-de-rugby-a-xiii-en-france-en-2025/?fbclid=IwAR1ANCvg7zTcRafSsubOVKEWdHXwxKy8x2oxeA2gqD64u-ER6c7RX_7dUZY

According to a survey carried out by the FIFG among the general public *, 88% of French people are in favor of and support the plan to organize the Rugby Union World Cup in France in 2025.

The results of this study also show that 69% of French people would like the competition to take place in their region, which validates the Organizing Committee's choice to retain 40 cities to host these competitions.

It should be noted that the format of the tournament which, with simultaneously the competitions for men, women, armchairs and young people, would be a world first, particularly appeals to the general public: this innovation is in fact approved by 88% of French people, 41% of whom are very favorable. .

67% of the population say they are already ready to support the French teams. 73% consider that the organization of this event would be a unifying moment, 76% think that it would do good for the morale of the French and finally 72% believe that this event would bring economic benefits. Particularly in host cities where the benefits for tourism could be substantial.

1.3 million tickets are expected to be sold, 60% of which in France and 40% internationally for all competitions for men, women, seats and young people. 33% of the population say they are already ready to buy a ticket for this competition.

Michel Wiener, Executive Director of the Candidature Committee:

“This in-depth study reveals the strong support of the general public, beyond just sports fans, for our model of major international sporting event, encompassing all forms of sport, as close as possible to all territories and at very affordable prices. . It extends the excellent reception recorded by local authorities and the socio-economic fabric. We are very happy to be able to rely on this popular support to promote France's candidacy for the organization of this World Cup ”.

Jérôme Fourquet, Director of the Opinion & Corporate Strategies Department of the FIFG:

“The results very favorable to the organization by France of this World Cup illustrate that rugby is today a sport which arouses interest and attracts a large audience. 31% of French people aged 18 and over (more than 15 million people) thus declare that they are "very" or "fairly" interested in rugby, ie a level equivalent to that of football (29%). "

* Survey carried out from August 31 to September 3 on a national sample of 1,803 people

15 minutes ago, Eddie said:

This is on the FFR’s website, with Google translation below (remember Google says Union instead of League). 

https://www.ffr13.fr/88-des-francais-favorables-a-lorganisation-de-la-coupe-du-monde-de-rugby-a-xiii-en-france-en-2025/?fbclid=IwAR1ANCvg7zTcRafSsubOVKEWdHXwxKy8x2oxeA2gqD64u-ER6c7RX_7dUZY

According to a survey carried out by the FIFG among the general public *, 88% of French people are in favor of and support the plan to organize the Rugby Union World Cup in France in 2025.

The results of this study also show that 69% of French people would like the competition to take place in their region, which validates the Organizing Committee's choice to retain 40 cities to host these competitions.

It should be noted that the format of the tournament which, with simultaneously the competitions for men, women, armchairs and young people, would be a world first, particularly appeals to the general public: this innovation is in fact approved by 88% of French people, 41% of whom are very favorable. .

67% of the population say they are already ready to support the French teams. 73% consider that the organization of this event would be a unifying moment, 76% think that it would do good for the morale of the French and finally 72% believe that this event would bring economic benefits. Particularly in host cities where the benefits for tourism could be substantial.

1.3 million tickets are expected to be sold, 60% of which in France and 40% internationally for all competitions for men, women, seats and young people. 33% of the population say they are already ready to buy a ticket for this competition.

Michel Wiener, Executive Director of the Candidature Committee:

“This in-depth study reveals the strong support of the general public, beyond just sports fans, for our model of major international sporting event, encompassing all forms of sport, as close as possible to all territories and at very affordable prices. . It extends the excellent reception recorded by local authorities and the socio-economic fabric. We are very happy to be able to rely on this popular support to promote France's candidacy for the organization of this World Cup ”.

Jérôme Fourquet, Director of the Opinion & Corporate Strategies Department of the FIFG:

“The results very favorable to the organization by France of this World Cup illustrate that rugby is today a sport which arouses interest and attracts a large audience. 31% of French people aged 18 and over (more than 15 million people) thus declare that they are "very" or "fairly" interested in rugby, ie a level equivalent to that of football (29%). "

* Survey carried out from August 31 to September 3 on a national sample of 1,803 people

This is probably more readable:

44 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Still not sure that this isn't a pitch.

It is a lot more than that - and I appreciate that the comms could have been clearer for the UK audience. At this stage when awarding World Cups, the organisers go out and work out who will host the games. That bid process has been ongoing for months (with each region having to guarantee payments to the organisers). As I understand it, there are substantial budgets at local level in France to plough into sporting events in the relevant town/city/region. The level of proposals, each meeting the financial criteria, has been through the roof.

This is one of the most important steps in underpinning the World Cup over there - it’s like our own Government guarantee, but in slices (and the French Government has confirmed its support as well). In contrast, when the US were awarded this World Cup they simply could not get these underpinning commitments, and so had no business case. It is a huge achievement. Jeu a trieze revient a la maison...  

In France the Maire and Region is god:)

I fully expect buy in from towns and cities all over France for the RLWC/2025 what with this and the proposed Nines in Spain every year which is currently being put together (Pre season from 2023 soon to be put to SL) things are certainly on the up.

ALL GOOD STUFF

Fantastic can't wait:))

Paul

9 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

In France the Maire and Region is god:)

I fully expect buy in from towns and cities all over France for the RLWC/2025 what with this and the proposed Nines in Spain every year which is currently being put together (Pre season from 2023 soon to be put to SL) things are certainly on the up.

ALL GOOD STUFF

Fantastic can't wait:))

Paul

Do you mean a pre season 9s tournament for SL clubs, but held in Spain? If so who’s organising that? 

11 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Do you mean a pre season 9s tournament for SL clubs, but held in Spain? If so who’s organising that? 

There is a marketing group putting a proposal together for this SL clubs + 4 French teams I am told 2023 onwards they want a 5 year commitment.

Thats all I know news I am told before Christmas.

35 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Not the Euros guy 100% and 

2 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

There is a marketing group putting a proposal together for this SL clubs + 4 French teams I am told 2023 onwards they want a 5 year commitment.

Thats all I know news I am told before Christmas.

18 hours ago, Damien said:

This is probably more readable:

The full survey commended by the organising committee (?) is here :

https://www.ffr13.fr/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/118325-IFOP-France2025-Rugby-à-XIII.pdf

Results are very encouraging, but also very surprising. For instance, 2/3 of the french population knows that RL exists or that 13% of the population knows the sport 'rather well' or 'very well'

I'd have assumed both numbers to be much lower than that.

35 minutes ago, Gambass said:

The full survey commended by the organising committee (?) is here :

https://www.ffr13.fr/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/118325-IFOP-France2025-Rugby-à-XIII.pdf

Results are very encouraging, but also very surprising. For instance, 2/3 of the french population knows that RL exists or that 13% of the population knows the sport 'rather well' or 'very well'

I'd have assumed both numbers to be much lower than that.

Very surprising … my experience of talking to locals when biking and hiking long distances in France is that very few people know of rugby a trieze …

Archived