A third French team to join the league structure?

The Daddy

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Carcassonne have spoken about going professional and developing their stadium but I really can't see it being them or any other Aude club as their catchment areas are tiny. 

In Mick's tweet he's said that they have demonstrated they'll add to broadcast revenue and bring fans to the game so that really rules out Carcassonne, Pia and many other French clubs.

I have no idea who it is and I suspect that SL could be going towards European/Anglo French direction. 

Broadcast revenue as we all know is so very important.

The SKY deal is a done deal for two years but I haven't seen anything as regards a possible French deal so maybe French TV are now making it clear what they must have in terms of "content" to sign something up. It has to be compatible with what SKY need for content?

SKY maybe OK with nine English clubs and a French deal could be three French clubs - but then how on earth does the game get to that position?? ...................

21 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Who? 

My guess is an Avignon team rebranded as Provence and playing some games in Marseille. 

They would be the only current team that's anywhere near ready with the stadium and number of players they produce. 

They also have the former Catalan CEO involved Christophe Jouffret 

3 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

My guess is an Avignon team rebranded as Provence and playing some games in Marseille. 

They would be the only current team that's anywhere near ready with the stadium and number of players they produce. 

Totally agree:)

Paul

18 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

Where in Marseille, the Velodrome? Maybe a double header with Olympique v PSG? 

Carcassonne most likely for me, a traditional RL club in a rugby town, and they’ve expressed an interest. If they get 7-800 in Elite 1 I could see them getting 1,500+ in the championship. Obviously it would be a big blow to Elite 1 though, so caution is required. 

This would be tremendous, if done right and not done Toronto style.

It does not matter if its Villeneuve or Lyon, an established team like Carcassonne or a new co-opted regional club called Provence or Aquitaine.

It needs to be professional and an enhancement to what its Elite 1 roots are.

I would contend the commonsensical way forward for years is to seek a closer and more formal unification of the two northern hemisphere heartlands. A sort of EUification of RL in Europe. 

It would bury any thoughts lingering of the Super League being merely an English league with a Perpignan novelty add on and more a European competition.

Also be good idea for this to be part of the strategy if/when France hosts the World Cup.

Not that it would be likely to happen, but maybe a representative team from l'Aude made up of the cream of the Carcassonne and Limoux crops could be food for thought. I believe the area would relish the prospect of Super League status and the financial benefits to a less affluent area of France would be greatly received.

Pity I've just sold my home over there!!

4 minutes ago, CiderWire said:

Not that it would be likely to happen, but maybe a representative team from l'Aude made up of the cream of the Carcassonne and Limoux crops could be food for thought. I believe the area would relish the prospect of Super League status and the financial benefits to a less affluent area of France would be greatly received.

Pity I've just sold my home over there!!

Based on the tweet I just don't see it being any of the clubs in the Aude, whether they are a merged or individual entity. None of those clubs would add value to any broadcast deal or take RL to a wider audience 

4 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

Based on the tweet I just don't see it being any of the clubs in the Aude, whether they are a merged or individual entity. None of those clubs would add value to any broadcast deal or take RL to a wider audience 

I read that last comment (They have shown they’ll bring new fans to the game, grow broadcast revenue and drive the sport to a wider audience.) as being about Catalans and TO, therefore saying a third team would do that further - rather than there being a definite third team ready to move into League One (or the championship as I would prefer, as Elite 1 isn’t inferior to League One). 

15 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

I don't do the Tweety thing so won't be aware of any statements made via that platform. Like I said, it would be an unlikely scenario but in reality it is ideally suited in its geographical location between Toulouse and Perpignan (for the future local derby factor), has good road/rail/air transport links and I believe would, if successful, contradict your last statement.  The Dragons winning the CC Final recently and now the LLS is starting to make people notice. Anyway, I left a little bit of my heart in l'Aude so I'm always going to be a tad biased 😁

19 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I read that last comment (They have shown they’ll bring new fans to the game, grow broadcast revenue and drive the sport to a wider audience.) as being about Catalans and TO, therefore saying a third team would do that further - rather than there being a definite third team ready to move into League One (or the championship as I would prefer, as Elite 1 isn’t inferior to League One). 

You could be right, let's see how this pans out. 

I'm not against an Aude team being in the structure but I don't see how any of the clubs there would bring RL to the masses

5 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

I'm not against an Aude team being in the structure but I don't see how any of the clubs there would bring RL to the masses

They don’t need to, there isn’t a single RL club bring the game to the masses now except possibly NZ Warriors (and there was of course Toronto too…).

Imho a French championship club averaging 2k fans with a good academy would be a win. 

5 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

We have been trying to bring RL to the masses in England for over 125 years. Unfortunately the masses have developed negative preconceptions based on 125+ years of delusion, misinformation and downright bigotry. How about we just make the game better for RL fans first, then they might see how good this sport can be. Just sayin'.

Given the current financial situation I suspect the English clubs will ask: "How much is this going to cost us?". However, a French team in L1 or the Championship who did not take any central funding and paid travel costs would probably be quite welcome in the RFL system. I think it's a great idea, just needs to be somewhere with a decent population and preferably a good relationship with the local Rugby Union as is the case with Toulouse to avoid any sabotage.

Quite a surprising rumour to have picked up while doing hospital radio in Bradford.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Archived