A third French team to join the league structure?

The Daddy

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

Given the current financial situation I suspect the English clubs will ask: "How much is this going to cost us?". However, a French team in L1 or the Championship who did not take any central funding and paid travel costs would probably be quite welcome in the RFL system. I think it's a great idea, just needs to be somewhere with a decent population and preferably a good relationship with the local Rugby Union as is the case with Toulouse to avoid any sabotage.

That's the rule, if you join league one etc you have to pay all the travel costs for the teams. 

2 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Gledhill aside, France is, of all the expansion points for the British game, one of the most logical. However it is dying for a strategy.

Maybe with a World Cup in 2025 they have time to devise a plan to get a team ready to compete in England off the back of the publicity?

I wouldn’t claim to know much about the French scene at all, but this seems like a golden opportunity in terms of alignment.

I hope a solution can be found.

19 minutes ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

Given the source, I reckon that there's a better chance of the next overseas side coming from Latvia!

Why is there so much hate for Mick Gledhill on this forum? Ok he may not be everyone’s cup of tea but it seems a bit out of proportion? 

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

Why is there so much hate for Mick Gledhill on this forum? Ok he may not be everyone’s cup of tea but it seems a bit out of proportion? 

I think there is a very strong dose of take anything he says with a pinch of salt I guess.

A few questions spring to mind. The club would be placed into The third division whose central funding will be virtually zero and let’s say the cost to travel is £20k 1. How can the clubs afford that with the reduced funding or 2. How can the RFL justify taking it from central funds.

my preferred solution is a third French club into 2 tens structure

1 hour ago, sweaty craiq said:

A few questions spring to mind. The club would be placed into The third division whose central funding will be virtually zero and let’s say the cost to travel is £20k 1. How can the clubs afford that with the reduced funding or 2. How can the RFL justify taking it from central funds.

my preferred solution is a third French club into 2 tens structure

Its been suggested the French team will have to cover travel costs

2 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

No, the costs excluding wages.

It's 20k to the federation just play in the comp(no prize money either) 1k for the u19s ,coach travel around 500/600 a trip minimum up to 1k for the longer trips, , a couple of full time secretaries, club house costs, kit ,Friday night meal,  match filming costs, GPS stats costs, emergency service cost for game day plus a doctor, training material balls etc, 120 euros per player for their playing licence, (the u19s pay their own), the stadium and training facilities are maintained by the local council. It could be a little more than 50k 

Fcl  who posts on here ,would know better than me, 

23 minutes ago, barnyia said:

It's 20k to the federation just play in the comp(no prize money either) 1k for the u19s ,coach travel around 500/600 a trip minimum up to 1k for the longer trips, , a couple of full time secretaries, club house costs, kit ,Friday night meal,  match filming costs, GPS stats costs, emergency service cost for game day plus a doctor, training material balls etc, 120 euros per player for their playing licence, (the u19s pay their own), the stadium and training facilities are maintained by the local council. It could be a little more than 50k 

Fcl  who posts on here ,would know better than me, 

Thanks mate, that’s comprehensive enough.  I suppose the Federation 20k price would drop off if an Elite team went into League 1 but the travelling costs would sky rocket to balance that up plus another €xx000 for funding the opposition flights.

2 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Thanks mate, that’s comprehensive enough.  I suppose the Federation 20k price would drop off if an Elite team went into League 1 but the travelling costs would sky rocket to balance that up plus another €xx000 for funding the opposition flights.

I was about to say there is no way the RFL would be so ridiculous that they’d make the French team pay for their own away travel costs plus the other teams’ costs of going to France, but then I remembered this is the RFL. 

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

I was about to say there is no way the RFL would be so ridiculous that they’d make the French team pay for their own away travel costs plus the other teams’ costs of going to France, but then I remembered this is the RFL. 

Yes, that’s the deal.  Pay for travel.  Needs a hell of a commitment to fund that.

8 hours ago, Eddie said:

Mick is a great guy and loves RL. However, he does make a lot of stuff up based on the most tenuous of rumours.

Archived