Sat 18-Sun 19 Sept: The Betfred Championship Match Thread

53 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Can’t wait for Whitehaven to knock Fev out of the playoffs 😜😜

Edit, seems I've been beaten to the reply to this but it always makes me chuckle that folk not only don't bother to check the rules but have also completely ignored ignored the many postings on the Championship play off format on this very forum 

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a remarkable effort from Haven who were favourites for relegation and likely have one if the smallest budgets in the league. Just shows anything is possible. 

I would say I bet London are regretting forfeiting the Toulouse game now but I suspect they are just happy to finish the season 

3 hours ago, JonM said:

Look forward to the moaning from whoever ends up going to Toulouse in the semi-final about how their team can't get the days off with only a week's notice.

Batley won't be moaning, we played Featherstone when we could have cancelled due to COVID because of the integrity of the game. 

We play better away from home anyway so I doubt we will be worried if we have to play in Toulouse. We have won there before. We will be going there to win and I am sure Toulouse will expect this. 

Of course we have a very difficult game first against Bradford at home so I am speaking theoretically. 

Edit

I just read if Whitehaven beat Halifax we could be at Featherstone, if we win of course. 

48 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Edit, seems I've been beaten to the reply to this but it always makes me chuckle that folk not only don't bother to check the rules but have also completely ignored ignored the many postings on the Championship play off format on this very forum 

Sorry for not being that interested this year. 

2 hours ago, JonM said:

Look forward to the moaning from whoever ends up going to Toulouse in the semi-final about how their team can't get the days off with only a week's notice.

Also, travel rules don't change until the Monday after the semi...the 4th. So for those unvaccinated players...10 days on the naughty step on their return to the UK. 

Great effort from Haven, really good stuff in a competitive league and one of the favourites for relegation. I think they might beat Fax with the momentum they have but surely the first round of play-offs is just for vanity. It would be a shame if the final weren't Toulouse v Fev. The two best teams by a long way, expansionist vs traditionalist rivalry, controversy about games played and covid, lots of SL level talent. Should be an amazing final if it happens, but this is the play-offs and anything can happen.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

15 hours ago, Cumbrian Fanatic said:

If Haven win today they'll have beaten Batley, Halifax and Bradford in they're last 3 games, 2 of them away.

Not wanting to take the gloss off havens year as it’s been fab but not sure they would have won their last 3 games had it mattered. Suppose play offs will tell us 

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

1 hour ago, DEANO said:

Not wanting to take the gloss off havens year as it’s been fab but not sure they would have won their last 3 games had it mattered. Suppose play offs will tell us 

You don't think the games mattered to the 3 teams fighting for a home game in the first round of the play offs?

Whitehaven's form since the end of June, I would suggest all the games mattered, and not just to Whitehaven

✅ York - June 27
✅ Swinton
❌ Halifax
✅ Oldham
✅ Newcastle
✅ Dewsbury
✅ London
❌ York
✅ Widnes
✅ Batley
✅ Halifax
✅ Bradford - September 19

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

27 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

Fleeting Return:Not sure if it was a one-off performance but Lachlan Walmsley was the best player I've seen this season the Championship.

IIRC, he came here to try to force his way into Scotland World Cup reckoning. Job done, I would say, except he'll have to wait a year for the world cup.

3 minutes ago, JonM said:

IIRC, he came here to try to force his way into Scotland World Cup reckoning. Job done, I would say, except he'll have to wait a year for the world cup.

He did mate and as you say job done. 

He's been class all season for us never had a bad game. 

Hopefully he will still be at Haven next season but rumours are he won't be. 

1 minute ago, Havenfan10 said:

He did mate and as you say job done. 

He's been class all season for us never had a bad game. 

Hopefully he will still be at Haven next season but rumours are he won't be. 

Signed for Fax hasn’t he ?

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

Not convinced Toulouse will have it all their own way in the semis or final if reached

October in France can be iffy weather wise - hopefully its drab n dull n raining - be interesting to see them in the final for example in wind n rain in front of their supporters for the only time this year - they have some big lads will they handle it & cope? 

17 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Spidey (and I) probably more concerned with how many teams were to be relegated this year than the minutiae of the play-offs 🙂

44 minutes ago, Derwent said:

Signed for Fax hasn’t he ?

Serious about rugby league reported Wigan, I've heard rumours of Fev, Halifax and even Widnes. 

My mate asked him at the JJP Testamonial do on Friday, but he wasn't telling. 

He's been outstanding all season, whether on the wing or the few games he played at fullback 

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

Lots of rumours about Walmsley flying round Fax yesterday and when it gets to this point, like it did with the Keyes one, it tends to already be a done deal. I'd love to see him in Fax colours next season but I reckon this could be one that is wide of the mark as when I have seen him he looks far too good for this division.

5 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

Fleeting Return:

Not sure if it was a one-off performance but Lachlan Walmsley was the best player I've seen this season the Championship.

Been quality every time he plays mate. Which team do you support? 

We've had a few Aussie and kiwi's over the years and he's up there with the best if not the best! 

... All 3 overseas signings have been Excellent this season. 

4 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

Lots of rumours about Walmsley flying round Fax yesterday and when it gets to this point, like it did with the Keyes one, it tends to already be a done deal. I'd love to see him in Fax colours next season but I reckon this could be one that is wide of the mark as when I have seen him he looks far too good for this division.

A done deal along with another Haven import apparently.

Archived