Sat 18-Sun 19 Sept: The Betfred Championship Match Thread

Discuss this weekend's Betfred Championship games here.

SATURDAY 18th SEPTEMBER
Newcastle Thunder v Toulouse Olympique KO 15:00

SUNDAY 19th SEPTEMBER
Bradford Bulls v Whitehaven KO 15:00
Dewsbury Rams v Oldham KO 15:00
Featherstone Rovers v Sheffield Eagles KO 15:00
Halifax Panthers v Batley Bulldogs KO 15:00
Swinton Lions v Widnes Vikings KO 15:00
York City Knights v London Broncos KO 15:00

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What are the permitations for the top 6 now? Fax and Bradford look likely for 3rd and 4th where as Batley would need to beat Fax and Bradford to lose to get 4th although if the have a blowout against Fax then they could get 3rd. London should lose to York so that opens the door for Haven to grab 6th I think. Ive also mentioned before because no team looks like beating the top 2 then players maybe jockying for position to have an end of season do over in France. As a Fax fan I want to avoid either Bradford at home in the playoffs or Haven at home in the playoffs.

The Haven story this season is quite remarkable where all the talk was about York and Newcastle and they find themselves with a shot at getting in the playoffs with a game to go. Had a good laugh with some of the Haven fans last week, even though I can't understand what they say, but is was a good experience even in defeat and I reallyhope they can kick on next season. Also I really hope Workington don't get promototed as 3 trips up to Cumbria would be too much 🤣

2 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

What are the permitations for the top 6 now? Fax and Bradford look likely for 3rd and 4th where as Batley would need to beat Fax and Bradford to lose to get 4th although if the have a blowout against Fax then they could get 3rd. London should lose to York so that opens the door for Haven to grab 6th I think. Ive also mentioned before because no team looks like beating the top 2 then players maybe jockying for position to have an end of season do over in France. As a Fax fan I want to avoid either Bradford at home in the playoffs or Haven at home in the playoffs.

The Haven story this season is quite remarkable where all the talk was about York and Newcastle and they find themselves with a shot at getting in the playoffs with a game to go. Had a good laugh with some of the Haven fans last week, even though I can't understand what they say, but is was a good experience even in defeat and I reallyhope they can kick on next season. Also I really hope Workington don't get promototed as 3 trips up to Cumbria would be too much 🤣

I've run a few permutations through my predictor

if Bradford win and Batley beat Halifax then Bradford go 3rd

if Whitehaven beat Bradford and London lose then Whitehaven get 6th spot

Also if Whitehaven beat Bradford and Batley beat Halifax then Bradford end up in 5th spot, so away to Batley in the playoffs

It all makes perfect sense...not

On 16/09/2021 at 13:47, kiggy said:

Also if Whitehaven beat Bradford and Batley beat Halifax then Bradford end up in 5th spot, so away to Batley in the playoff

Based on the current form and result this seems the most likely.

I’m not sure on the Halifax Batley result but I could very easily see Whitehaven winning and they would deserve their place in the playoffs 

Interesting today TO will have half back Lucas Albert on debut at Newcastle. 5 former Dragons now with Casty, Pelissier, Navarrete and Gigot. TO are a far different team that Ford and Kheirallah led well just a few seasons back. Add on the two players from Saints in Paulo and Peyreux.

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

1 hour ago, audois said:

Interesting today TO will have half back Lucas Albert on debut at Newcastle. 5 former Dragons now with Casty, Pelissier, Navarrete and Gigot. TO are a far different team that Ford and Kheirallah led well just a few seasons back. Add on the two players from Saints in Paulo and Peyreux.

It is interesting to note the highest scorers in the league. TO have scored over 100 hundred tries, but apart from Killer no one else is in the top ten, and he is only there as the main kicker (we will gloss over Gigot's attempts). This goes to show that anyone can score from any position. They don't seem to be reliant on a single super-player

Newcastle v Toulouse is 6 all after 8 minutes. A very tricky conversion for Thunder was squeezed in.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Newcastle are playing some very decent Rugby, but Toulouse are on the next level. Thunder 6:26 Olympique on 30 minutes.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

18 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Toulouse have 80! Hitchcox in with a 4th try of the game. Kick goes over. 

Thunder 12-82 Olympique, about 5 mins to go. 

Tough on Newcastle though, they have done well this season I wish them all the best. For TO, 2 games more and  hopefully SL beckons. 

Just now, kiggy said:

Tough on Newcastle though, they have done well this season I wish them all the best. For TO, 2 games more and  hopefully SL beckons. 

After watching a performance like that and seeing them lift that shield it would seem so wrong if they weren't able to make it to SL now, at least to me it would anyway but they are the rules of the competition. I hope to see them at the MKM next year. 

Newcastle played some good rugby and were still going at the end, had most of the ball in that last 5 minutes or so. I too wish them all the best for the future and I also hope to see them in SL and playing at the MKM one day soon. 

8 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

After watching a performance like that and seeing them lift that shield it would seem so wrong if they weren't able to make it to SL now, at least to me it would anyway but they are the rules of the competition. I hope to see them at the MKM next year. 

Newcastle played some good rugby and were still going at the end, had most of the ball in that last 5 minutes or so. I too wish them all the best for the future and I also hope to see them in SL and playing at the MKM one day soon. 

MKM?

1 hour ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Toulouse have 80! Hitchcox in with a 4th try of the game. Kick goes over. 

Thunder 12-82 Olympique, about 5 mins to go. 

Different class , just glad York played TO early doors of season where the score was a much more respectable

6 - 21.

After watching Bradford play (or attempt to play) Toulouse recently I can say Toulouse are basically the best championship side i have seen. 

The attack is flowing and sharp but the defence is just so impressive and they rarely look stretched. They 100% deserve their shot at super league and I think they will worry the Salford, Wakefield etc (no offence to them)

But the job isn’t done and they have to win the playoffs where Featherstone will want to take that spot 

15 hours ago, Thunder fan said:

Objective was survival....objective achieved, cant wait for next season and see who we bring in, come on thunder!

TO broke the defensive line at will, so Newcastle have some work to do on that for next season.  

But the good thing about the Newcastle performance is that they never gave up in attack, even at the end.

Archived