Sat 18-Sun 19 Sept: The Betfred Championship Match Thread

32 minutes ago, Derwent said:

As a Town fan it pains me to say this but Whitehaven are surely team of the year if they make the playoffs when most would have had them favourites for relegation at the start of the season.

Don't worry, if they get to SL Town will make plenty of money when they rent Derwent Park for their SL season as there is no way SL would let them use their cabbage patch stadium in the top league - its even worse than Wakefield...

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Derwent said:

It’s a bit of an uneven contest in the sense that you’ve got one team who have played just 14 matches and one who have played 28 this season. 

I don't really care if its an uneven contest, it's gonna be a bloody good game, if they are the teams that get there of course! 

10 minutes ago, JonM said:

There's another team that hasn't lost a game all season, in spite of having to play every game away from home (and they scored 80+ yesterday).

Yes but Fev have offered 2 dates to Toulouse to play the game in France including midweek according to the club so whose running scared?

1 minute ago, Cardypaul said:

Yes but Fev have offered 2 dates to Toulouse to play the game in France including midweek according to the club so whose running scared?

Wouldn't change the final placings.

I guess you'll be able to go over to France in 3 weeks time and sort it out then. 

4 minutes ago, Derwent said:

It’s a bit of an uneven contest in the sense that you’ve got one team who have played just 14 matches and one who have played 28 this season. 

If both get to the Final, I think it will be TO’s home advantage that tips the balance.

It will be a hard game, in every sense if the word, if it happens.  

2 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

If both get to the Final, I think it will be TO’s home advantage that tips the balance.

It will be a hard game, in every sense if the word, if it happens.  

Toulouse won 23-6 at Fev last month. From what I've seen, they're a better team than Fev. Still, it's a one-off game, anything can happen.

Just now, JonM said:

Toulouse won 23-6 at Fev last month. From what I've seen, they're a better team than Fev. Still, it's a one-off game, anything can happen.

Yeah, I’ve said this pairing were the ones to beat from the off.  Not over yet and I’m looking forward to watching how this plays out.  

To beat TO teams have to get right in their face.  I think Fev will know how to do that that’s why I think it will be a hard game. Blood & snot from the off.

3 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Can’t wait for Whitehaven to knock Fev out of the playoffs 😜😜

Well you'll be waiting a long time FEV can't play 6th in league ONLY 3rd 4th and 5th

Just now, Scubby said:

They did default a fixture to be fair and were lucky to just lose 2 points.

I agree BUT I didn't say they should have kept the points just pointing out if they hadn't been Dk heads they would be 6th

11 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Can’t wait for Whitehaven to knock Fev out of the playoffs 😜😜

Just looked it up in the RFL operational rules - Whitehaven can't play Fev.  Toulouse play the lowest placed team left in the play-offs in one semi-final and Featherstone play the highest place team in the other. So if Whitehaven beat Halifax, they would then play Toulouse. 

23 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Don't worry, if they get to SL Town will make plenty of money when they rent Derwent Park for their SL season as there is no way SL would let them use their cabbage patch stadium in the top league - its even worse than Wakefield...

Crikey it must be BAD ! lol.

3 minutes ago, JonM said:

Just looked it up in the RFL operational rules - Whitehaven can't play Fev.  Toulouse play the lowest placed team left in the play-offs in one semi-final and Featherstone play the highest place team in the other. So if Whitehaven beat Halifax, they would then play Toulouse. 

I know. I mis understood the format. They could meet in the final though? 😂😂

6 minutes ago, JonM said:

So in the same instance Toulouse can't play Halifax?

2 minutes ago, Scubby said:

So in the same instance Toulouse can't play Halifax?

Not in the semis. Only in the final. Toulouse will play the lowest-ranked team remaining, and that can't be 3rd-ranked Halifax.

If Fax beat Whitehaven and then Fev, they could play Toulouse in the final (and similarly in theory Fev could play Whitehaven in the final).

49 minutes ago, Cardypaul said:

I will forward your musings to messieurs Casti and Garbutt tomorrow. Running scared 😁

Fax game went as expected with a narrow Fax defeat not giving Batley the chance to overtake us and giving us the best chance of 4th spot and the potential end of season trip to France. Unfortunatley Bradford failed to deliver and instead our season likely ends next Saturday against Haven who to be fair probably deserve a good pee up over in France given how they have ended the season. Depending on kick off time as well looks like it will be the first game ive missed this season due to amateur rugby commitments.

As for our game today it was a drab affair between two teams who look like they need the season to end as soon as possible. For Fax we finish where I thought we would before the season started but its a great achievement for Batley to grab 4th as they once again out perform a number of teams that will have out spent them and hoped to be finishing in the playoffs above them.

Archived