Fri 17 Sept: SL: Wigan Warriors v Catalans Dragons KO 19:45

Who will win?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Wigan Warriors
    • Catalans Dragons

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 17/09/21 at 19:15

looking forward to this expecting wigans tight defence to frustrate catalan good gamegoing  down to the last minute in front of a good 13000 crowd.

Through the fish-eyed lens of tear stained eyes
I can barely define the shape of this moment in time(roger waters)

Samkins went off injured, which could be a problem in the playoffs if that's serious.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Well done Wigan for playing every game of the season. Great effort.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

A costly night for Catalans with a couple of injuries picked up. STomkins was straight off the field, no messing. Wasn’t a game particularly high in attacking quality but it had its moments. Hastings kicked Maloney off the field to be fair to him. Hardaker losing the ball going over the line did make my night though, it has to be said. 

It certainly wasn't a Catalans performance like they've produced for most of the year. They weren't exactly poor and the game still took some winning but their pack never really dominated like you'd expect and as a result they offered little creatively. I'd have expected them to be more expansive and maybe take it easy on the physical stuff down the middle but instead they just seemed intent to run over the top of Wigan and it didn't work.

With the players rested it was always going to be a tough ask for Wigan but it was a real gutsy performance. We were by far the better team and created most of the chances although we're still messing up far too many.

Hastings was outstanding, as was young James McDonnell, who finally got a game in his preferred position of second row and was a rock in defence and scored a great try. He had Kasiano running at him quite often but didn't give an inch. His performance will surely further tempt Lam into just playing an entire team of back row forwards next week when Farrell, Bateman and (hopefully) Smithies return.

Our two unfavoured props, Bullock and Clark, were our best performers among the front row so I'm expecting them to miss out next week. Havard and Byrne didn't play particularly well which has no doubt earned them a starting spot.

I doubt there's much that can be read into this game. It's a good win for Wigan purely from a morale point of view and it pleased the fans who turned up, which is good because we've had to sit through some absolute dross this season. The most pleasing aspect is our defence is looking strong at the right time.

That’s a good win. I think Thursday’s game will be a good one, as I think we are better matched than the last result between us suggests. And after that, it only takes a couple of injuries to the top 2 teams and then it’s game on. There’s life in us yet. 

On 17/09/2021 at 00:04, my missus said:

looking forward to this expecting wigans tight defence to frustrate catalan good gamegoing  down to the last minute in front of a good 13000 crowd.

just call me nostradamus😀

Through the fish-eyed lens of tear stained eyes
I can barely define the shape of this moment in time(roger waters)

1 hour ago, EagleEyePie said:

It certainly wasn't a Catalans performance like they've produced for most of the year. They weren't exactly poor and the game still took some winning but their pack never really dominated like you'd expect and as a result they offered little creatively. I'd have expected them to be more expansive and maybe take it easy on the physical stuff down the middle but instead they just seemed intent to run over the top of Wigan and it didn't work.

With the players rested it was always going to be a tough ask for Wigan but it was a real gutsy performance. We were by far the better team and created most of the chances although we're still messing up far too many.

Hastings was outstanding, as was young James McDonnell, who finally got a game in his preferred position of second row and was a rock in defence and scored a great try. He had Kasiano running at him quite often but didn't give an inch. His performance will surely further tempt Lam into just playing an entire team of back row forwards next week when Farrell, Bateman and (hopefully) Smithies return.

Our two unfavoured props, Bullock and Clark, were our best performers among the front row so I'm expecting them to miss out next week. Havard and Byrne didn't play particularly well which has no doubt earned them a starting spot.

I doubt there's much that can be read into this game. It's a good win for Wigan purely from a morale point of view and it pleased the fans who turned up, which is good because we've had to sit through some absolute dross this season. The most pleasing aspect is our defence is looking strong at the right time.

Gosh I am anything but a Wigan supporter, but I will say I enjoyed your post Eagle. Really described it well. More please.

And yes Hastings is a real star in every way. We were blessed to have him and you are lucky he came to you. 

3 minutes ago, Loiner said:

For what it's worth I think the Catalans a**e has fallen out. Not so sure they will even make the GF.

Two weeks ago, they beat Saints. And last week, they had half a team out (like Saints last night). So not sure your statement in bold is true. They may not the GF but they’ll be incredibly tough to beat in Perpignan in 2wks time.

4 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Two weeks ago, they beat Saints. And last week, they had half a team out (like Saints last night). So not sure your statement in bold is true. They may not the GF but they’ll be incredibly tough to beat in Perpignan in 2wks time.

They outclassed for 75 minutes against saints and thought they had a good side out last night against a Wigan team who find it hard to score. Who knows that's rugby league for you.

Wigan's defence has been outstanding for the last 4 games or so.  As we start to approach the wetter weather and the more grinding games that will do them no harm at all.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

15 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Well done Wigan for playing every game of the season. Great effort.

Something they won’t get enough credit for because it’s Wigan. 

As for the state of play for us overall, I don’t think we’ll have enough points in us to go too far in the play offs but we’re in a totally different place to where I expected us to be a few weeks back. Teams will have to earn their points against us and will need to be up for a battle. 

Archived