Fri 17 Sept: SL: Salford Red Devils v St Helens KO 19:45

Who will win?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Salford Red Devils
    • St Helens

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 17/09/21 at 19:15

Heavy rotation for Saints in this one. Pleased Lomax is back as he needs a game before the semi final.

Agree with the decision not to play Percival or Mata'utai after knocks last week but a little worried about a high number of players not playing for 3 weeks before the semi.

Think we'll line up like this: 

Welsby, Martyn, Simm, Davies, Grace, Lomax, Dodd, Walmsley, Smith, Lees, Thompson, Wingfield, LMS

Amor, Norman, Royle, Eaves

They are the kind of worries my team would embrace dearly. 

Final end to a fraying season could not come quicker for most Reds. 

There is always a sense of quiet exasperation built on repetitive bouts of disappointment for my fellow Salfordians. Pre season, what seemed so fruitful has become so fitful. Another post season re-organization of the squad beckons.

The Saints will obviously have their eyes peeled on the Finals, but that is a handy side nevertheless. Could neither be a washout if SRD's heads are already on holiday or more likely a close affair and hopefully one to give both sides hope for the future.

On 15/09/2021 at 16:57, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

Saints by 30.

Result - Salford 26:14 St Helens.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Is indeed Tommy's boy. 

Well good to end on a win. It might paper over some cracks, the season is only worse than one over the last decade and more, there could be lads who we wished could have stayed longer, but stuff it, a fine and welcoming win.

Some fine talent emerging in that Saints team as well. The Finals are looking mighty. Nice as well for the club to invite Warrington legend Lee Briers to the game as well. 

Time for a whisky I say.

I managed about 26 seconds of the RedVee YouTube video.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Didn't see the match but pleased for our younger players to get a run out. Reports were that Ben Davies and Sam Royle were standouts. Royle and Davies are 21 now but have had limited opportunities without a reserve grade. Glad that will be corrected next year. May not even do them harm to go out on loan to a Championship club to get regular game time.

3 hours ago, Bod said:

I see Salford haven't done anything about some of their idiotic supporters yet. How many years is it now?

It was really embarrassing seeing “The Leader of the Gang” at the front of that lot, its a good bet that he hadn’t been before to see any match.

As a long time Salford fan I would like to know what the stewards were doing, just watching him and his gang of children go on and off the pitch like they did, just what are we paying these stewards for?

1 hour ago, Chris22 said:

Didn't see the match but pleased for our younger players to get a run out. Reports were that Ben Davies and Sam Royle were standouts. Royle and Davies are 21 now but have had limited opportunities without a reserve grade. Glad that will be corrected next year. May not even do them harm to go out on loan to a Championship club to get regular game time.

All the younger players gave 100% and there are some very good prospects for the future, not sure what LMS was doing it appeared he may have been interfering with the test equipment that the referee Griffiths seemed to be testing out on the night, a lot of arm waving and talking, perhaps the test equipment was faulty?

8 hours ago, Segovia Carpet said:

Saints fans moaning about their weakened team - mind you the Devils without  Watkins, Burgess, Brown, Mossop, Pauli Pauli (both of them), Wells, Lannon, Greenwood, Luckley, Ata & Harvey Livett But don`t let that get in the way of balance.

Saints nilled in the second half.

Who's moaning? It was well known (and wanted by every Saints fan I know) that we'd be resting players for the playoffs and giving a debut to the four academy graduates on the back of their newly signed professional deals.

But well done you for making something out of nothing for cheap likes. Bravo 👏

19 hours ago, WSRD said:

It was really embarrassing seeing “The Leader of the Gang” at the front of that lot, its a good bet that he hadn’t been before to see any match.

As a long time Salford fan I would like to know what the stewards were doing, just watching him and his gang of children go on and off the pitch like they did, just what are we paying these stewards for?

Are stewards there to handle the marauding Yoof. If i was one i wouldn’t want to be trying to manhandle some of these dingalings nowadays.
Had Salford given some tickets away for free. There must be footage of the idiots, whether they’d be back again or not id ban them for going onto the pitch and give them a heavy fine. 

9 minutes ago, Josef K said:

Are stewards there to handle the marauding Yoof. If i was one i wouldn’t want to be trying to manhandle some of these dingalings nowadays.
Had Salford given some tickets away for free. There must be footage of the idiots, whether they’d be back again or not id ban them for going onto the pitch and give them a heavy fine. 

It seems strange that the stewards will ask an eighty year old lady to open her plastic bag, will ask young children to keep off the advertising boards etc, but do nothing about people attempting to enter the field of play?

The club did provide several schools with tickets as part of the policy of encouraging new fans to attend, there was a schools tournament pre match and at half time, and these youngsters did as requested ,behave responsibly.

The main ringleader who was at the forefront of taunting the Saints fans can easily be identified and some action  should be taken against him and possibly others, the home fans who stayed in the original places, seats etc booed off the culprits and I know some who were questioning the stewards over their lack of action.

One point that is relevant was that mid way through the match, the electronic scoreboard stopped working and no one knew how many minutes were left when  the teams were  in the middle of the pitch, the hooter went just as Saints were awarded  a penalty and it was at this point a small number of fans entered the pitch, the referee quite rightly made Saints take the penalty by this time the ringleader and others were facing the Saints fans, who conducted themselves very well and rightly made the wrongdoers look stupid.

5 hours ago, WSRD said:

It seems strange that the stewards will ask an eighty year old lady to open her plastic bag, will ask young children to keep off the advertising boards etc, but do nothing about people attempting to enter the field of play?

The club did provide several schools with tickets as part of the policy of encouraging new fans to attend, there was a schools tournament pre match and at half time, and these youngsters did as requested ,behave responsibly.

The main ringleader who was at the forefront of taunting the Saints fans can easily be identified and some action  should be taken against him and possibly others, the home fans who stayed in the original places, seats etc booed off the culprits and I know some who were questioning the stewards over their lack of action.

One point that is relevant was that mid way through the match, the electronic scoreboard stopped working and no one knew how many minutes were left when  the teams were  in the middle of the pitch, the hooter went just as Saints were awarded  a penalty and it was at this point a small number of fans entered the pitch, the referee quite rightly made Saints take the penalty by this time the ringleader and others were facing the Saints fans, who conducted themselves very well and rightly made the wrongdoers look stupid.

Are stewards trained to deal with unruly drunk spice-heads. I know at Saints they have stewards inside the stadium who are middle aged ladies & gentlemen. Whilst outside they have the type that work on the doors at clubs & pubs, and they come into the stadium when the game K’sO. I know a couple who work at Saints on match day, and if pushed too far they can be just as unruly as the unruly fans.
I suppose it works out cheaper for clubs than having to have the police there. They usually only appear for the Wigan, Wire games, and the odd time FC & HKR. 

Well from where I was sat, the average age of the ones who went on to the pitch appeared to be twelve, and they had their autograph books in their hands.

There didn’t appear to be an spice heads around on the night although I am of a generation whose biggest challenge was smoking a Woodbine at the Willows hoping that the proper stewards which were there didn’t notice us.😊😊

Archived