Thu 16 Sept: SL: Castleford Tigers v Warrington Wolves KO 19:45 (TV)

Who will win?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Castleford Tigers
    • Warrington Wolves

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 16/09/21 at 19:15

On 15/09/2021 at 19:20, Man of Kent said:

Surely a nailed-on win for Cas for four reasons: 1. Cas have something to play for. 2. Warrington don’t. 3. Powell’s final home game at Cas. 4. Warrington are his next employer. 

Thoughts now??

2009 Warrington 25 Hudderfield 16

2010 Warrington 30 Leeds 6

2011 League Leaders Shield Winners

2012 Warrington 35 Leeds 18

Challenge cups and league leaders shields everywhere! We need more silver polish!

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a Wire fan I really enjoyed last night's match. I thought we played some great stuff, and also had a bad 15 minutes or so. 

I was happy with how we blew them away at the start, and whilst Clarke tries to suggest we weren't worth our lead at half time, we absolutely were. Our energy and kick chase caused Cas problems all night and brought us success. Ashton's pace and liveliness is a huge asset and we need to focus on him for the future. 

But I was pleased for Cas that they didn't end up blown away, their fans had something to cheer and their departing staff had some positivity rather than a depressing night. 

I thought the way we controlled the game at the end was outstanding, and was a decent test for the playoffs. 

I worry about Cooper's availibility next week, I personally thought it should have been yellow but I can possibly see a 1 match ban. 

I thought there was some great play, nice tries, and as a Wire fan, happy with some of our young lads again. 

Castleford looked like the emotions of the night got to them in the first half, looked like frightened rabbits. The defensive line was all over the place, some coming up quick, some not, looked like bad communication all over the pitch. Warrington used that and took them apart. 2nd half was much better from Cas, but when you are chasing a game that badly you will make mistakes. worrying for Warrington was the way the attitude on the pitch changed when Austin came on, seemed to lose self control all over the pitch which was odd.

13 minutes ago, dkw said:

Castleford looked like the emotions of the night got to them in the first half, looked like frightened rabbits. The defensive line was all over the place, some coming up quick, some not, looked like bad communication all over the pitch. Warrington used that and took them apart. 2nd half was much better from Cas, but when you are chasing a game that badly you will make mistakes. worrying for Warrington was the way the attitude on the pitch changed when Austin came on, seemed to lose self control all over the pitch which was odd.

I think that's harsh on Austin. 

He gave one penalty, but Charnley's dump tackle was nowt to do with Austin. And when it kicked off, the Cas player seemed upset that Austin dared to try to tackle him to prevent a try. 

I don't think Austin replacing Hughes had a major effect on the team, I just think Cas got on a roll. The swing in momentum is one of the things I enjoy most about our sport. 

One thing I did find frustrating last night with my Wire specs on was the narrative from Sky Sports. From Clarke trying to suggest we weren't worth our 26 nil lead, to Barrie being disappointed every time we did something good, to Jenna's grilling of the hat-trick hero man of the match at the end. 

You wouldn't think we had won by 16 and scored 40 points away from home. 

12 minutes ago, Dave T said:

He gave one penalty, but Charnley's dump tackle was nowt to do with Austin. And when it kicked off, the Cas player seemed upset that Austin dared to try to tackle him to prevent a try. 

I don't think Austin replacing Hughes had a major effect on the team, I just think Cas got on a roll. The swing in momentum is one of the things I enjoy most about our sport. 

Nah, the wobble started with austin, he's a terrible tackler, as a half, him tackling forwards is hard to watch, he got left on the ground like Luther burrell did a couple of times and that partially started the panic down our right side.

I have to say,and maybe I'm in a minority,Jenna is starting to get on my wick.

You could see the Cas coach/player were itching to acknowledge their fans but she insisted on getting her quota of questions in. I wish she would rein it in a bit with interviews.

As a touchline reporter,she is fine.

14 minutes ago, JF1 said:

You could see the Cas coach/player were itching to acknowledge their fans but she insisted on getting her quota of questions in. I wish she would rein it in a bit with interviews.

Doesn't take long in the world of rugby league, does it ?  

1 hour ago, Barry Badrinath said:

Nah, the wobble started with austin, he's a terrible tackler, as a half, him tackling forwards is hard to watch, he got left on the ground like Luther burrell did a couple of times and that partially started the panic down our right side.

I must admit I don't recognise your description of his defence. His tackle success ratio is a good way better than Widdop's for example.

I also don't really recognise this panic on our right - he gave a penalty which many are saying was harsh - Charnley did a worse one and was binned.  They scored their first two tries down the right, and the 3rd on the left was as a result of Charnley being on the bench and Mamo shooting out of the line and getting nobody.

I'm a big fan of Williams but if we look at the tries, he missed a tackle for one and dropped a relatively basic catch for another. 

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

Jenna's grilling of the hat-trick hero man of the match at the end. 

She likes to ask the same basic question to 3/4 people from the same team. Perfectly reasonable to ask the coach or the captain what went wrong during that 15 minute spell; as you say fairly pointless asking the 23yo game star.

Clarke's comments about Cas being the better team in the first half were frankly the rantings of a madman.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

2 hours ago, JF1 said:

I think she is good at what she does - I'm just not sure we need a hard-nosed interviewer in the aftermath of the game - apart from when she is speaking to the coaches - I do enjoy her interviews with them.

I think she has the player stuff just slightly wrong, and I also think her approach with Shenton and Powell was wrong - asking for stories etc. from a guy with a broken shoulder - it was a bit weird.

3 hours ago, JF1 said:

How dare she do the job she`s employed to do....

3 hours ago, Dave T said:

Not really, it want just that tackle. He came on, was putting elbows into faces, generally dicking around etc in each tackle he was involved in, maybe he just isnt a bench player and cant handle it. It seemed to emanate out to the rest of the team and all of a sudden easing to a comfortable win became a scramble. Like I said, it was very odd.

I thought it was sort of darkly funny how we fell apart immediately after Austin came on but I didn't think it was really his fault, besides one silly penalty.

I thought a key element - besides the two cards which I thought were harsh - was that Cas succeeded in what they had been trying to do all game, which was to bully Connor Wrench. It was a perfectly sensible tactic as Wrench is a young guy up against Matautia, an experienced and dangerous player on form. They managed to isolate him a couple of times (as well as stealing the ball off him) and were good enough to execute a couple of times. I was pleased for Connor that he managed to bounce back and make a couple of couple of good tackles and score a good try at the end.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

29 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

I thought it was sort of darkly funny how we fell apart immediately after Austin came on but I didn't think it was really his fault, besides one silly penalty.

I thought a key element - besides the two cards which I thought were harsh - was that Cas succeeded in what they had been trying to do all game, which was to bully Connor Wrench. It was a perfectly sensible tactic as Wrench is a young guy up against Matautia, an experienced and dangerous player on form. They managed to isolate him a couple of times (as well as stealing the ball off him) and were good enough to execute a couple of times. I was pleased for Connor that he managed to bounce back and make a couple of couple of good tackles and score a good try at the end.

Spot on (apart from the cards point imho, I thought they were both yellows, and Watts' should have seen yellow). 

In Rd 1 they targeted Wrench and had a lot of joy. They tried it in the 1st half but made errors and as you say it clicked to some extent in the 2nd half. 

9 hours ago, Josef K said:

A lot of fans from the 12 SL clubs seem to think the Sky pundits have got it in for their club. 

I certainly don't buy that anybody has it in for my club, I just think that Sky go with a narrative (Cas final home game, celebration for all the leavers, and a must-win) and their pundits are not smart enough to adapt to what is going on. So they try and force events to match their 'story'. 

And when yiu look at their 'experts' its easy to see why they struggle to adapt on the move. 

On 17/09/2021 at 12:23, Leeds Wire said:

We need to move heaven and earth to keep hold of him, he's a very special talent.

edit - https://warringtonwolves.com/news/2021/september/Ashton-pens-new-three-year-deal/

This one slipped under the radar. Not reported anywhere else. Great news though, let’s hope he stays free of injury! 

Archived