How do you know when you're returning home?

Thought I'd start a thread for this seen as we were getting into it a bit on the joke Hull rebrand thread. 

As I said on there, people in Hull feel like they are home after a while away from the city when they see the Humber Bridge. I was wondering whether in other places there are really iconic things for the locals as well that tell them they are returning home?

2 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Thought I'd start a thread for this seen as we were getting into it a bit on the joke Hull rebrand thread. 

As I said on there, people in Hull feel like they are home after a while away from the city when they see the Humber Bridge. I was wondering whether in other places there are really iconic things for the locals as well that tell them they are returning home?

That house in the middle of the M62 , I know it's just about a mile till we're back in Lancashire thankfully 😉

When I'm visiting my sister at the old family home, it's the white horse at Sutton Bank. Get to the top of that hill, and I'm on the home stretch.

Coming back from work (back when I wasn't working from home), it is crossing the North Circular. Not quite as picturesque, but a sign that I should get ready to disembark.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Travelling back from yon side of the Pennines I start to realise I'm heading in the right direction when I can finally turn my windscreen wipers off.

With Halloween coming up I decided to go to my local fancy dress shop to see if I could get a Dracula costume. After a few minutes the assistant handed me a Hull KR shirt asking "Is this suitable?", I replied "I think you may have misheard me, I said I wanted to look like a count."

27 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

By the way, there’s a bit of an urban myth about that house in the middle of the M62. 

No, it's definitely there ...

(And, yes, I know ...)

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On 15/09/2021 at 13:20, Derwent said:

When I see Bishop Rock (Barf) on the A66.

I know it well. Used to go to Braithwaite every year for a week at Easter with school.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

When I see the police helicopter. The plethora of crack houses. The pungent smell of Ganje. A Ford cortina on bricks in a garden. Aggressive homeless threatening for money. Industrial blight. Dog sheeite all over the pavements. 

Ahhh yes folks.... as I prepare to leave the far north of Scotland driving through the Highlands, the spectre and odours of Rovrum awaits. 

3 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

When I see the police helicopter. The plethora of crack houses. The pungent smell of Ganje. A Ford cortina on bricks in a garden. Aggressive homeless threatening for money. Industrial blight. Dog sheeite all over the pavements. 

Ahhh yes folks.... as I prepare to leave the far north of Scotland driving through the Highlands, the spectre and odours of Rovrum awaits. 

I'm purely guessing you understand but from this post and ones on other threads I get the impression you don't care much for Rotherham. Like I say, purely a guess you understand..! 😉

2 minutes ago, Mark S said:

I think there is an issue with it being on land owned by Darrington Quarries, it is also right on the border between Wakefield and Doncaster at Barnsdale Bar.

It's the quarries problem then not the councils, I have near by boarders with North & East Yorkshire and North Lincolnshire and DMBC will clean up if they are made aware of the problem, we do have people in our area who are on the fly tipping case all the time as we get a lot with it being rural.

3 minutes ago, Mark S said:

I think there is an issue with it being on land owned by Darrington Quarries, it is also right on the border between Wakefield and Doncaster at Barnsdale Bar.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

Archived