Promotion & Relegation/Licencing hybrid system

2 hours ago, Mumby Magic said:

Its been going round in circles this thread for ages John. You may do us a favour by licking it. 🙂🙂

I'll continue to the bang this drum as I'm convinced that this concept or something very similar is the best way of Rugby League moving forward.

There has been some very helpful comments posted here that have streamlined the idea further. Points awarded for final league positions, win percentages, the fact Argentinian football have adopted a similar structure. All very positive.

The negative comments have been rather vague in my opinion. Just typical RL fan impatience of wanting everything yesterday without any long-term strategy with emphasis placed on the fact that nothing should ever change in regards to their own club whatsoever.

I want this idea to take a hold as much as this '2 leagues of 10' idea that people are discussing that to me doesn't address the fundamental problems facing the sport. Unless I'm understanding it wrong.

Super League A & Super League B? - Forgive me but unless all 20 teams can win SL it's just a rehash of what we already have. Maybe someone could explain it to me. (Genuine request)

Edited by JAG
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, JAG said:

I'll continue to the bang this drum as I'm convinced that this concept or something very similar is the best way of Rugby League moving forward.

There has been some very helpful comments posted here that have streamlined the idea further. Points awarded for final league positions, win percentages, the fact Argentinian football have adopted a similar structure. All very positive.

The negative comments have been rather vague in my opinion. Just typical RL fan impatience of wanting everything yesterday without any long-term strategy with emphasis placed on the fact that nothing should ever change in regards to their own club whatsoever.

I want this idea to take a hold as much as this '2 leagues of 10' idea that people are discussing that to me doesn't address the fundamental problems facing the sport. Unless I'm understanding it wrong.

Super League A & Super League B? - Forgive me but unless all 20 teams can win SL it's just a rehash of what we already have. Maybe someone could explain it to me. (Genuine request)

Keep banging the drum mate. If you really believe in it send it to the RFL.

• Like 1

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

In 2017 Hull KR were promoted from the Championship to Super League and Catalan Dragons only just survived relegation by beating Leigh in the Million Pound Game.

4 years later Hull KR and Catalan Dragons will this week compete for the chance to appear in their very first Grand Final. 

In 2018 it took the almost compete collapse of Widnes Vikings to aid Hull KR (And Salford & Leeds) in finishing outside the Million Pound Game on points difference.

The following year 2019 Hull KR finished above London Broncos (newly promoted) on points difference to avoid automatic relegation.

2020 saw the collapse of Toronto Wolfpack where no relegation was necessary.

Imagine if Leigh Centurions and London Broncos had similar fortune to savour that same period of time to mount an assault on Super League rather than merely survive it.

This isn't to discredit Hull KR and all they've done this year, which has been a very enjoyable welcome surprise. It's just to point out what can happen when a promoted team have the time to develop in SL.

Counter point: "Doesn't this prove that if the Era system was in place Hull KR would likely be relegated after this very successful season?"

In ordinary times without missed fixtures I would say possibly yes.

But in the last 4 year cycle we've seen the collapse of two Super League teams (Widnes & Toronto) and the brief promotion and relegation of London Broncos & Leigh Centurions. That's 4 teams who's success or failure under this system could never be accurately estimated. I would still maintain that the Era League would help to root out unstable clubs and avoid boom and bust clubs while helping shield the newly promoted.

“If there was any advert for not having relegation last season, what Hull KR have done is it...Hull KR wouldn’t be in this division now if relegation had stayed in place – they would be in the Championship and would have had to go through another rebuild, it’s as simple as that." - Steve McNamara.

I agree, but I don't believe in a ring-fenced Super League.

Therefore a P&R/Licensing hybrid system is needed.