Reggae Warriors

tms

On 17/09/2021 at 03:37, POR said:

I don`t want to sound harsh but I find the name " Reggae-Warriors " a bit corny. Surely they could have come up with a name a little more befitting an international Rugby League team.

1 hour ago, The Rocket said:

I don`t want to sound harsh but I find the name " Reggae-Warriors " a bit corny. Surely they could have come up with a name a little more befitting an international Rugby League team.

Like "Kangaroos" for example. Noble beasts splattered across the front of a road train in the morning. Or kiwis, that daren't come out in dylight and are under threat by weasels and rats. Excellent.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

1 hour ago, tim2 said:

Like "Kangaroos" for example. Noble beasts splattered across the front of a road train in the morning. Or kiwis, that daren't come out in dylight and are under threat by weasels and rats. Excellent.

Look mate, I`m not overly fussed either way and if the Jamaican national Rugby League team thinks that " Reggae Warriors " is going to help them reach their target audience then they probably know a lot more about marketing than me. I`d be the first to admit that sort of catchy name is like the names in all the modern short forms of cricket, so perhaps they are meant to appeal to a broader audience.

So I`m really just showing my age here and if the Jamaican Reggae Warriors ever reach a World Cup Final and play the England Lions then there will be a lot more positives than negatives for Rugby League.

p.s. having said all of that as an old Bob Marley and the Wailers fans if they had of called themselves the `Buffalo Soldiers` I probably would have liked it.

buffalo soldier song - Bing

1 minute ago, The Rocket said:

Look mate, I`m not overly fussed either way and if the Jamaican national Rugby League team thinks that " Reggae Warriors " is going to help them reach their target audience then they probably know a lot more about marketing than me. I`d be the first to admit that sort of catchy name is like the names in all the modern short forms of cricket, so perhaps they are meant to appeal to a broader audience.

So I`m really just showing my age here and if the Jamaican Reggae Warriors ever reach a World Cup Final and play the England Lions then there will be a lot more positives than negatives for Rugby League.

p.s. having said all of that as an old Bob Marley and the Wailers fans if they had of called themselves the `Buffalo Soldiers` I probably would have liked it.

buffalo soldier song - Bing

Probably too oblique a reference. Anyway, I guess they picked it and there's nothing Caribbean people like more than white blokes telling them what to do.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

5 hours ago, The Rocket said:

Why does every team need a crappy name. Oh, to sell crappy merchandise that's right.

Other sports dont have nicknames for every team. 

Also stop with the national badges looking like they all came From the one person.

Have some with the countries language on it.

content://com.android.chrome.FileProvider/images/screenshot/1631974822260243621916.jpg

content://com.android.chrome.FileProvider/images/screenshot/16319749011481036091587.jpg

content://com.android.chrome.FileProvider/images/screenshot/16319749862871260173673.png

6 hours ago, The Rocket said:

It sits  with The Jamaica national football team, nicknamed the "Reggae Boyz",

30 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Cricket does, union does, NFL does, NBA does, MLB does, NHL does... 

Its only really soccer that doesn't. Surely you don't want us to be like those n*bheads? 

England soccer "The Three Lions"

Germany "Die Manschaff" sp

Holland "Het Oranje"

France "Les Bleus"

Still think Buffalo Soldiers would have been a better name.

This is the experience of the Pan-African Diaspora in all of the Americas. Truly a sad origin history, “Coming to America” as slaves. And yet, the African race has proliferated in much of the Americas, most notably in the Caribbean, where the one-time slaves emerged as the majority population in 29 of the 30 member-states; (the only other New World non-Caribbean country with a majority Black population is Brazil). After a few turns in world political developments, these majorities now run the governments in most of these Caribbean countries.

It took “blood, sweat and tears” to reach this accomplishment. This connotes military action, warfare and sacrifice. The most prominent of Black fighting men in the history of the New World is the Buffalo Soldier.

Caribbean Music legends Bob Marley and the Wailers are to be credited for educating much of the world with this history. In his landmark song Buffalo Soldier; he sang their praises

9 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Cricket does, union does, NFL does, NBA does, MLB does, NHL does... 

Its only really soccer that doesn't. Surely you don't want us to be like those n*bheads? 

I should clarify...i meant stupid American style names. 

7 hours ago, rlno1 said:

I should clarify...i meant stupid American style names. 

Well it's the way things have gone in all sports except soccer! 

I'd also say name additions like 'Hotspur', 'Wanderers' and 'Wednesday' are equally stupid! 

Having names attached to the teams like Broncos does engage kids. My little ones love Dusty and Buck as mascots when they actually come out! 

5 hours ago, rlno1 said:

I'm talking about national teams.

When designing national emblems try to make them look as though they have come from the country they are representing not from some kid in Sydney.

image.jpeg.5ac036a3f51dab3c945055c740258b5e.jpeg

That is a good emblem.

It has the Greek colours and the Spartacus image.

Archived