Books on French Rugby League

rlno1

The Forbidden Game by Mike Rylance - I think out of print but available on Kindle.

Frank Perrin has a number of things which you can find on amazon.fr (I assume self published).

Champagne Rugby by Henri Garcia & Roger Grime - published in French in 1961 and translated to English and published recently by LLP - as a printed book but also available on Kindle - lots of good stuff on French RL history.

Champagne Rugby starts with a history of the game's beginnings in France and the Vichy era, but mostly covers the tours down under where the French stunned the Australians with their skills. It is a short book, but a great read.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Mike Rylance's books are both excellent. As are the three by Roger Grime. Garcia is a must. 

I'd recommend Passamar and Bonnery as standard texts. So too Demelin.

Some of the books on the clubs are outstanding - including ASC, Roanne, Villeneuve, Lezignan, XIII Catalan etc.

Joys of Rugby has a good XIII section. 

"There has never been a Challenge Cup semifinal of 65,000 either individually or combined" - Damien

Archived