What is rugby league’s greatest/most famous moment? Don Fox’s missed kick?

DC77

Was responding to a comment on tennis with the list of the 100 greatest sporting moments (voted by the UK public in 2002).

https://web.archive.org/web/20020204090913/http://www.channel4.com/entertainment/tv/microsites/G/greatest_sporting/results.html

When looking at the list in more detail I noticed Don Fox (at #96) which is the highest listed rugby league moment. Would this be the most famous (“greatest” doesn’t seem apt for it) moment in rugby league? Has the UK public overlooked any others that would contend? (my first thought was Offiah’s try at Wembley, or a more updated list the Grand Final try by Rob Burrow).

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, DC77 said:

Would this be the most famous (“greatest” doesn’t seem apt for it) moment in rugby league?

Almost certainly and I doubt it's even close with any of the alternatives we might come up with.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

The Don Fox miss is just as much about the iconic commentary as the incident itself.  Of course missing a kick in front of the sticks to win a final would be a big story but nowhere near as memorable over 50 years later without Eddie Waring's "He's a poor lad".

Just shows the power of personality in sport.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

Almost certainly and I doubt it's even close with any of the alternatives we might come up with.

I think this is right. Most of the alternative suggestions took place before the poll was made or subsequently occurred behind a firewall so didn't penetrate the national consciousness.

Maybe the NZ World Cup semi would have traction but I doubt it.  After that I can only think of the Ben Flower send off that may be infamous enough to be included.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 hours ago, Dunbar said:

The Don Fox miss is just as much about the iconic commentary as the incident itself.  Of course missing a kick in front of the sticks to win a final would be a big story but nowhere near as memorable over 50 years later without Eddie Waring's "He's a poor lad".

Just shows the power of personality in sport.

Absolutely, the sheer human empathy in Eddie's voice is enough to break your heart on its own.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

The answers from RL fans would be many and varied. From the average sports fan I'd guess it would be Offiah's try at Wembley.

Which isn't a bad one to be associated with. I think I'd probably go with that also, for the wider impact.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

14 hours ago, EastLondonMike said:

From the average sports fan I'd guess it would be Offiah's try at Wembley.

Again. Great moment.

It's still going to be Don Fox's kick though.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On 17/09/2021 at 13:11, Dave T said:

Offiah's try is played a lot on TV. 

Henderson Gill's bit of a boogie was iconic for a long time. 

Sullivan's World Cup Final try in front of empty stands too. 

Jonathan Davies' Wembley try versus the Kangaroo's. 

Great shout with Davies. Can see it now.

23 hours ago, M j M said:

Ellery's try for Northern at Headingley. Except it was in defeat.

Is that the one where he runs right through the middle of the field past everyone? (granted he probably did it quite a few times so not narrowing it down).

Looking at the list again (which includes Cantona’s Kung fu kick on the fan) then Ben Flower’s punch could be in there...also for the wrong reasons. It’s one of those shocking incidents you watch again.

Just watched a cracking NRL game with Penrith edging it..which got me thinking there’s bound to be quite a few great moments of the Aussie game that wasn’t shown (has no awareness here). As a former RU devotee (behind football) the contrast in quality/spectacle between the Arg vs NZ RU game and the Penrith vs Paramatta game (both shown on the Sky channels at the same time) was stark...you’d watch action packed stuff of the RL then flick over to the RU and would think the blokes playing the latter were on a break. 

Archived