What is rugby league’s greatest/most famous moment? Don Fox’s missed kick?

DC77

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Copa said:

I’d never heard of Don Fox’s kick until now. I just watched it on YouTube… devastating!

So you'd never heard of the Watersplash Final either then?

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

40 minutes ago, Copa said:

Not until now.

Get the BBC documentary watched.  

Wakefield Trinity RLFC

Don Fox.

It is said that after the game Neil Fox ( Don's brother who also played in the Wakefield team that day) went to him in the dressing room. Don was sitting with his head in his hands and said" If I had a gun I would shoot myself".

Neil replied " if you had a gun I would take it off you and shoot you myself cos you would miss" 🤣

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

2 hours ago, Bearman said:

Don Fox.

It is said that after the game Neil Fox ( Don's brother who also played in the Wakefield team that day) went to him in the dressing room. Don was sitting with his head in his hands and said" If I had a gun I would shoot myself".

Neil replied " if you had a gun I would take it off you and shoot you myself cos you would miss" 🤣

Neil Fox was injured.  That's why Don was doing the kicking.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC

On 20/09/2021 at 12:35, Wollo Wollo Wayoo said:

Neil Fox was injured.  That's why Don was doing the kicking.

in all fairness - he would have been drenched, his socks would have been saturated and his boots full of water - the ball (not a modern ball) would have been full of water and the ground beneath him water logged and after playing a full game in those conditions many players would have missed that kick 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

6 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

in all fairness - he would have been drenched, his socks would have been saturated and his boots full of water - the ball (not a modern ball) would have been full of water and the ground beneath him water logged and after playing a full game in those conditions many players would have missed that kick 

You could tell from the kick off before the try just how heavy the ball seemed!

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

1 minute ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

it would have been quite normal to play with a heavy ball that had water inside it in those days, that would be unthinkable now in the modern era - similar to kicking a balloon across the living room with water inside it

3 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

it would have been quite normal to play with a heavy ball that had water inside it in those days, that would be unthinkable now in the modern era - similar to kicking a balloon across the living room with water inside it

So the ball regularly explodes and soaked your parents in a game?!

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

25 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

So the ball regularly explodes and soaked your parents in a game?!

no but try kicking a balloon with water in it in a straight line across the carpet

i dont know what backroom staff were like in those days or even if they had any (maybe a bloke who looked after the players fags while they were playing) but these days someone would have been on with a a brand new ball - box fresh socks and boots  and some spray to dry up anything they could before that kick was taken

Sigh.

Poor old Don. 

He's been dead for years and people won't let him rest in peace in death  as in life. 

Great Britain international, Lance Todd winner, all time record try scorer for Featherstone. Renowned as scrum half, loose forward and prop in a stellar career.

And yet he had his mental health ruined by constant ribbing and reminders of a kick no-one would have wanted to take in a game that should never have been played. 

And decades later his error and regrets are hung out to dry time and again.

RIP Don.

Interesring that most people are highlighting 'positives' when its the negatives that are more memorable. Or not even negitives just the stopping people in their tracks thinking am I seeing this, did it really happen. Mandella wearing a boks top is number 70 obviuosly stirred peoples emotions. Eddie the Eagle being poor but trying his best etc..

Fox missed kick fits perfectly into this category. For all the 'good' plays that are named on this thread, these can be expected from good players and teams. Its when a good player kicking a goal that most U10s kick every weekend, and he misses and costs his team a cup win. Thats what sticks in the memory as everyone wether you support that team or not can genuinely feel an emotion around the event.

The other huge negative of the modern era is Ben Flower. Very much like Cantonas kung fu kick it drew huge attention as it created an emotion within people, a lot of attention from non RL fans also who thought it was shocking, very much like Cantona.

Flower is remembered for this alone although he did become infamous outside RL circles very much like Cantona did.

If you were to ask a non RL fan to name a stand out point from RL theres a very strong chance they would mention the Ben Flower incident.

9 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

Sigh.

Poor old Don. 

He's been dead for years and people won't let him rest in peace in death  as in life. 

Great Britain international, Lance Todd winner, all time record try scorer for Featherstone. Renowned as scrum half, loose forward and prop in a stellar career.

And yet he had his mental health ruined by constant ribbing and reminders of a kick no-one would have wanted to take in a game that should never have been played. 

RIP Don.

Indeed.

He was tormented by this "error" to his dying day. He had already been awarded the Lance Todd trophy before taking that kick. In modern times of mental health awareness you would hope there would be a different approach. 

I also wonder whether the club itself was traumatised by that day. (if that's even possible)

The club had won its 2nd (consecutive) championship final just a week before (4/5/68). His brother and regular goal kicker Neil Fox was forced to play in that game despite carrying an injury (hamstring?) which he aggravated causing him to miss the challenge cup final. Leeds didn't score a single point that wasn't a direct result of a referee's decision, including possibly the worst penalty try decision in history. Wakefield scored 2 actual tries and Don had already kicked 2 goals. Perhaps the referee, John Hebblethwaite, didn't receive the criticism he deserved as he committed suicide a short while after the final. Still, despite all that, that kick would have given Trinity a league and cup double.

Wakefield have never won a major trophy since that moment. 

RIP Don

from Wiki:

Don Fox
Personal information
Full name Donald Fox
Born 15 October 1935
Sharlston, Wakefield, England
Died 21 August 2008 (aged 72)
Wakefield, England
Playing information
Position Scrum-half, Prop, Loose forward
Club
Years Team Pld T G FG P
1953–65 Featherstone Rovers 368 162 503 0 1492
1965–70 Wakefield Trinity 117 18 84 0 222
  Batley          
  Total 485 180 587 0 1714
Representative
Years Team Pld T G FG P
1956/57–≥58/59 Yorkshire ≥3        
1956 England 1 0 0 0 0
1963 Great Britain 1 1 2 0 7

10 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

Sigh.

Poor old Don. 

RIP Don.

In a similar vein, it's worth reading up on how a shocking performance on TV - this time in cricket - tormented Scott Boswell for years. At least, in this era and for him, he was able to get support and put his life back on track but ...

https://www.thecricketer.com/Topics/news/scott_boswell_interview_yips_cricket_watchalong_20_years.html

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

In a similar vein, it's worth reading up on how a shocking performance on TV - this time in cricket - tormented Scott Boswell for years. At least, in this era and for him, he was able to get support and put his life back on track but ...

https://www.thecricketer.com/Topics/news/scott_boswell_interview_yips_cricket_watchalong_20_years.html

That may be similar to Don Fox but I honestly had never heard of that guy or remembered  the incident.  I do remember Ben Stokes last over in that cricket final, which he does seem to have moved on from OK.  

Wakefield Trinity RLFC

1 hour ago, Wollo Wollo Wayoo said:

That may be similar to Don Fox but I honestly had never heard of that guy or remembered  the incident.  I do remember Ben Stokes last over in that cricket final, which he does seem to have moved on from OK.  

I think, relatively, Don Fox’s is more famous. On a personal level, Boswell’s “incident” was more immediately destructive. I think it shows how some aspects of society have moved on that he was able to recover the way he has.

Another good example about Ben Stokes.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just watched the kick again. It’s a straight run up to the ball. No bleedin wonder Fox missed it. It’s harder to hit straight with a straight on kick, and also more susceptible to slicing the ball/making a poor connection.

9 hours ago, yipyee said:

Interesring that most people are highlighting 'positives' when its the negatives that are more memorable. Or not even negitives just the stopping people in their tracks thinking am I seeing this, did it really happen. Mandella wearing a boks top is number 70 obviuosly stirred peoples emotions. Eddie the Eagle being poor but trying his best etc..

Fox missed kick fits perfectly into this category. For all the 'good' plays that are named on this thread, these can be expected from good players and teams. Its when a good player kicking a goal that most U10s kick every weekend, and he misses and costs his team a cup win. Thats what sticks in the memory as everyone wether you support that team or not can genuinely feel an emotion around the event.

The other huge negative of the modern era is Ben Flower. Very much like Cantonas kung fu kick it drew huge attention as it created an emotion within people, a lot of attention from non RL fans also who thought it was shocking, very much like Cantona.

Flower is remembered for this alone although he did become infamous outside RL circles very much like Cantona did.

If you were to ask a non RL fan to name a stand out point from RL theres a very strong chance they would mention the Ben Flower incident.

Mentioned the Flower punch. Difference with Cantona though is that’s all he is know for. Cantona was arguably the most famous sportsman in the country when he kicked the fan. The “seagulls” press conference is probably his stand out moment of all.

Other scandalous moments, Zidane headbutting the Italian in the 2006 World Cup final would be in such a list (as would his winning volley in the Champions League final).

20 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

20 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Don  told  us they asked to change the ball and the REF wouldn't let them

Archived