A message from NZ.

We all know how the standard of our competition is viewed upon in Australia and to compound that I have just recieved a message from my grandson who lives in Auckland:-

"The feeling over here is that SL won't be around in 10 years time it is a complete sinking ship, they have stopped broadcasting it on Spark Sport this year (sports subscription channel) it's a joke over here"

Make that of what you will.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The antipodean view has always been that of SL, it reflects their generally insular attitude and is one of the things holding back the game globally sadly.

Absolutely nothing stopping SL being a strong vibrant competition in 10 years if the people in charge ever actually manage to get their act together and finally start making the right decisions.

22 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

We all know how the standard of our competition is viewed upon in Australia and to compound that I have just recieved a message from my grandson who lives in Auckland:-

"The feeling over here is that SL won't be around in 10 years time it is a complete sinking ship, they have stopped broadcasting it on Spark Sport this year (sports subscription channel) it's a joke over here"

So some sheep fiddling kick & clap fans 12,000 miles away don’t get up early to watch Superleague so it’s doomed,ok then.

27 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I don't think it's a coincidence that they stopped broadcasting it once they saw Leigh were in.

Is that what you mean?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

What I find interesting about the original post is that a New Zealand sports subscription channel ceasing to broadcast Rugby League from another country is perceived to be a problem with the source country when the reality is that it is a reflection on the popularity of Rugby League in New Zealand. 

If Sky stopped broadcasting the NRL over here, it wouldn't be because of how well or poorly the NRL was performing in Australasia but how popular it was in the UK and the volume of people consuming it.

This is a worrying update for Rugby League.  But in New Zealand, not the UK.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

56 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Like Grandfather like grandson.

32 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

The antipodean view has always been that of SL, it reflects their generally insular attitude and is one of the things holding back the game globally sadly.

Absolutely nothing stopping SL being a strong vibrant competition in 10 years if the people in charge ever actually manage to get their act together and finally start making the right decisions.

I don't think we have the insular attitude.

Take one glance at the respective top tier competitions and recent history.  

36 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

That’s the problem though. You can’t keep leading people up the garden path as happened with Celtic Crusaders and Toronto Wolfpack.

I would of thought we need the Aussies and kiwis more than they need us unfortunately.

34 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

So some sheep fiddling kick & clap fans 12,000 miles away don’t get up early to watch Superleague so it’s doomed,ok then.

RL fans Dav not Union fans, also I don't know if it has reached Cumbria yet but there is a thing called a record button that enables you to watch it whenever you wish.

14 minutes ago, westlondonfan said:

I would of thought we need the Aussies and kiwis more than they need us unfortunately.

Undoubtedly so, look at our playing roster's we employ far far from the best they can offer - and a bloody lot of them - in fact mostly those who cannot command a contract "at home" because they are not of the right quality, convalesce those  deemed past it, or the odd bad boy. 

And as the Whppet says

53 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

if the people in charge ever actually manage to get their act together and finally start making the right decisions.

If these people don't start putting a lot of effort into the community game we are going to require more and more imports to swell our playing ranks.

45 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

What I find interesting about the original post is that a New Zealand sports subscription channel ceasing to broadcast Rugby League from another country is perceived to be a problem with the source country when the reality is that it is a reflection on the popularity of Rugby League in New Zealand. 

If Sky stopped broadcasting the NRL over here, it wouldn't be because of how well or poorly the NRL was performing in Australasia but how popular it was in the UK and the volume of people consuming it.

This is a worrying update for Rugby League.  But in New Zealand, not the UK.

Exactly, we don't show sports like water polo or handball on TV over here not even when it's on at the Olympics.. does that say those sports are in major trouble? No.. just that we aren't interested in them en masse

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Still available on Sky and on Live Sports Streams. 

Before they met me, my mates in Germany never knew rugby league existed, they don't watch it now even though they know of its existence and have many Hull related pieces of merchandise that I've sent to them over the years. They know of the Super League but know nothing of the NRL. Rugby league must be dying in Australia as a result. 

3 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Before they met me, my mates in Germany never knew rugby league existed, they don't watch it now even though they know of its existence and have many Hull related pieces of merchandise that I've sent to them over the years. They know of the Super League but know nothing of the NRL. Rugby league must be dying in Australia as a result. 

I would say that comparing the knowledge of Kiwi's with folks from Germany about RL is not such a good comparrison, ask them about handball and I should imagine they will keep you entertained for hours.

What a negative post Harry. I don't imagine NZ is a big market anyway so it makes no difference to the game over here. 

I wonder why we don't look for good news stories and positive quotes on this forum to start a thread. They're definitely out there but the majority of us prefer to start a thread on negatives

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Ah, another dead in 10 years thread. 

It's all ridiculous.  There is no way Rugby League will be dead in New Zealand in 10 years.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

5 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Thanks for that Frank, but the other part of the post re the message I recieved, in your thoughts how do you percieve the standard of SL today, and is it at all spoke about from RL fans you know.

So let me get this right, your first point that SL isn`t broadcast in NZ has been contradicted by Kiwi resident Frank, having had that miserable assertion dismissed, you have now moved on to your second uplifting, or perhaps the old chip off the block, your grandson, observation, " it`s a joke over here".

If there is a negative angle on things you`ll find it, sounds like junior ought to get his facts straight before he starts dismissing the whole of English Rugby League. And as a matter of fact as an avid consumer of League in Oz I would confidently say that everyone is well aware that English League isn`t as strong as our own, but it certainly isn`t described in the terms that you use.

21 minutes ago, frank said:

Still available on Sky and on Live Sports Streams. 

So the issue is more that Harry's grandson is subscribing to the wrong channel?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

46 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

RL fans Dav not Union fans, also I don't know if it has reached Cumbria yet but there is a thing called a record button that enables you to watch it whenever you wish.

I don’t care what they are or how they watch it a subscription channel started 2 yrs ago choosing to stop showing Superleague games is hardly the harbinger of doom for the game in this country.

Archived