A message from NZ.

11 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

What a negative post Harry. I don't imagine NZ is a big market anyway so it makes no difference to the game over here. 

I wonder why we don't look for good news stories and positive quotes on this forum to start a thread. They're definitely out there but the majority of us prefer to start a thread on negatives

Totally disagree JM, in all good buisnesses there are people employed to look for negative reactions and take a course of action to remedy the why, perhaps if SL/RFL had a Customer Care dept we may be in a much better place than we are now, but we all know we have The Greatest Game which embodies a completey misleading everthing will be OK attitude.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Totally disagree JM, in all good buisnesses there are people employed to look for negative reactions and take a course of action to remedy the why, perhaps if SL/RFL had a Customer Care dept we may be in a much better place than we are now, but we all know we have The Greatest Game which embodies a completey misleading everthing will be OK attitude.

Aye RL is well known for being full of people positive about the game and never highlighting negatives 🤣

10 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

I don’t care what they are or how they watch it a subscription channel started 2 yrs ago choosing to stop showing Superleague games is hardly the harbinger of doom for the game in this country.

No I agree that people 13,000 miles away who have an opinion don't need to bring the pro game down, the authorities over here are doing a good enough job, an honest question Dav do you think the pro game is as good as say 15 years ago and do you derive as much pleasure from it? 

Notice I am saying the pro game, I will always get along to the amatuer side of the sport come what may, which I am sure you will with the Hornets.

29 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I would say that comparing the knowledge of Kiwi's with folks from Germany about RL is not such a good comparrison, ask them about handball and I should imagine they will keep you entertained for hours.

Why would I ask a load of Kiwis about handball? That's another sport on top of rugby league that has very little presence in NZ. Let's just list a bunch of sports that aren't played in NZ and as a result of that say they are dead in other countries. 

Nah, can't think of one instance where my German mates have even mentioned handball let alone gone on about it for hours, though they will keep you entertained about the up and down fortunes of Schalke 04 for hours which i suppose is the price I pay for going on about the up and down fortunes of Hull to them. 

Just now, The Hallucinating Goose said:

can't think of one instance where my German mates have even mentioned handball

*growls in THW Kiel's silly zebra mascot*

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Nah, can't think of one instance where my German mates have even mentioned handball let alone gone on about it for hours, though they will keep you entertained about the up and down fortunes of Schalke 04 for hours which i suppose is the price I pay for going on about the up and down fortunes of Hull to them. 

Bearing in mind Schalke 04 got relegated last season presumably your mates are keeping quiet. 😃

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

*growls in THW Kiel's silly zebra mascot*

Is there a team in Essen Jon? If so that would be the local team to my mates.

The thing is though, people in Britain haven't heard of these teams and have no knowledge of the sport which means that handball does not even exist in other countries. 

1 minute ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Is there a team in Essen Jon? If so that would be the local team to my mates.

The thing is though, people in Britain haven't heard of these teams and have no knowledge of the sport which means that handball does not even exist in other countries. 

2.Bundesliga, apparently ...

image.png.14519046241b987ddd715e42311374d7.png

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

24 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Yes. We need Degsy to send a stiffly worded letter to New Zealand. I believe his scholarly prose is the cure for most of the sport's ills. It's like literary penicillin.

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

We all know how the standard of our competition is viewed upon in Australia and to compound that I have just recieved a message from my grandson who lives in Auckland:-

"The feeling over here is that SL won't be around in 10 years time it is a complete sinking ship, they have stopped broadcasting it on Spark Sport this year (sports subscription channel) it's a joke over here"

Make that of what you will.

Who gives a stuff what they think. It’s the fact that so many do when they should be concentrating on SL who help push that view.

ive seen plants of dire NRL games and plenty of good SL games. Yes the standard of the NRL is higher but both are hugely watchable.

Aussies are arrogant sods at times as shown by their gutless reaction to the WC. So why you are bothered what our fair weather friends think baffles me.

2 hours ago, Dunbar said:

What I find interesting about the original post is that a New Zealand sports subscription channel ceasing to broadcast Rugby League from another country is perceived to be a problem with the source country when the reality is that it is a reflection on the popularity of Rugby League in New Zealand. 

If Sky stopped broadcasting the NRL over here, it wouldn't be because of how well or poorly the NRL was performing in Australasia but how popular it was in the UK and the volume of people consuming it.

This is a worrying update for Rugby League.  But in New Zealand, not the UK.

But it can be because of a poor quality competition and poor games that means people don't watch it. That doesn't mean its a reflection of a lack of popularity of Rugby League. Like it or not for many people when they compare Super League to the NRL then Super League comes out very poorly. We even have many RL fans on this forum who say they watch more NRL than Super League because it is better. I'd imagine this is even more so in New Zealand, especially when we don't even have any top kiwis playing in our competition any more.

Football is immensely popular as we all know. I don't think Belgian Football not being shown is a reflection of a lack of popularity. Its just not very good compared to the Football we have here.

3 minutes ago, Damien said:

But it can be because of a poor quality competition and poor games that means people don't watch it. That doesn't mean its a reflection of a lack of popularity of Rugby League. Like it or not for many people when they compare Super League to the NRL then Super League comes out very poorly. We even have many RL fans on this forum who say they watch more NRL than Super League because it is better. I'd imagine this is even more so in New Zealand, especially when we don't even have any top kiwis playing in our competition any more.

Football is immensely popular as we all know. I don't think Belgian Football not being shown is a reflection of a lack of popularity. Its just not very good compared to the Football we have here.

Did you miss the part Super League is still available in New Zealand?

Just now, Damien said:

No

Then I'm confused. My understanding is that Sky Sport is bigger in NZ than the platform mentioned by Harry's grandson so the fact that they continue to show Super League as part of their wider RL offering entirely negates the idea that SL is unshowable to the RL aficionados of NZ.

3 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

We all know how the standard of our competition is viewed upon in Australia and to compound that I have just recieved a message from my grandson who lives in Auckland:-

"The feeling over here is that SL won't be around in 10 years time it is a complete sinking ship, they have stopped broadcasting it on Spark Sport this year (sports subscription channel) it's a joke over here"

Make that of what you will.

Have you ever told him that NZ is viewed on as a joke of a country??🤣🤣

16 minutes ago, Damien said:

That's a funny example to back up your point.  Bundesliga, Major League Soccer, Serie A, Primeira Liga and Ligue 1 are all shown on subscription tv here.  This is an example of the popularity of football in this country, not a refection of the relative quality of these leagues or popularity of these leagues in their home countries.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Something I would like clarifying is whether it is solely gonna be Super League that is dead in 10 years or whether it is gonna be the whole of European RL that is gonna be extinct.

If it is only gonna be SL then wouldn't that mean that the championship would just replace it as the premier competition in this hemisphere and effectively become the defacto "Super League" so to speak.

If it is the whole of the sport in the hemisphere then quite frankly that is just a ridiculously over the top statement to think that 100s of teams across numerous countries and tens of thousands of players and fans are going to just disappear. 

2 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

That's a funny example to back up your point.  Bundesliga, Major League Soccer, Serie A, Primeira Liga and Ligue 1 are all shown on subscription tv here.  This is an example of the popularity of football in this country, not a refection of the relative quality of these leagues or popularity of these leagues in their home countries.

You can even watch Japanese football live and for free in Britain on Freesports, as you say a reflection of the popularity of the sport not the quality of the league, cos quite frankly I've watched some of that and it's pretty rubbish. 

3 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Something I would like clarifying is whether it is solely gonna be Super League that is dead in 10 years or whether it is gonna be the whole of European RL that is gonna be extinct.

If it is only gonna be SL then wouldn't that mean that the championship would just replace it as the premier competition in this hemisphere and effectively become the defacto "Super League" so to speak.

If it is the whole of the sport in the hemisphere then quite frankly that is just a ridiculously of the top statement to think that 100s of teams across numerous countries and tens of thousands of players and fans are going to just disappear. 

You do realise this all came from his grandson dont you - probably 10 years old and has never left NZ.....

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

Then I'm confused. My understanding is that Sky Sport is bigger in NZ than the platform mentioned by Harry's grandson so the fact that they continue to show Super League as part of their wider RL offering entirely negates the idea that SL is unshowable to the RL aficionados of NZ.

I replied to the points in Dunbar's post, its quite clear what I replied to as I quoted it. You actually contradict his post.

Archived