Dewsbury Away

Dave Naylor

Thought I'd put up a post to mark the last day of the season as we bow out of the Championship and return to League 1.

A year that was full of promise and positive expectations but one that descended into a long string of defeats and relegation.

My personal highlight was beating 'Fax at home.  I was the only person behind the sticks at Bower Fold — armed with my camera — and when the hooter sounded with us in front I had to take stock of what had just happened and realise that we'd just won.  

Lots of nearlies, what could have beens and if only stuff going on all year.  Blummin' eck!

20 hours ago, Dave Naylor said:

Thought I'd put up a post to mark the last day of the season as we bow out of the Championship and return to League 1.

Dave. This season has been nothing less than an unmitigated disaster. 

But, can you, as the font of all (ORLFC) knowledge statistically speaking, tell us how does this season compare with (say) the disaster of season 1969/70 where we also finished next to the bottom of the league ?

And/or, as a matter of interest, was there any other equally bad season during the history of our once 'illustrious' club ?

In other words, Is this as bad as it gets or sadly have we ever been worse ?

47 minutes ago, ArthurO said:

tell us how does this season compare with (say) the disaster of season 1969/70 where we also finished next to the bottom of the league ?

Wasn't this when the "ginger group" was formed, a coup where people who cared about the club kicked out the old guard who were taking the club to the abyss, and a new committee comprising of true supporters took over the running of ORLFC?

Could it happen again??

arthur i think we played a season after the club was reformed when we never won a game.

i think that season we played at whitebank with a team that was made up of nearly all amatures.

know doubt somebody will correct me if iam wrong.

but this season did not come as a surprise to me, we signed to many players who were from acadamys who had never played jn champ.1 let alone the championship. we had the worst half backs and loose forward in the league, who ever heard of a defensive loose forward.

if you do not believe what i said go to squad 2021 page four and scroll down to tandle i was castigated for what i said so just look at the league table end of a b.....y  disaster . 

3 hours ago, ArthurO said:

Dave. This season has been nothing less than an unmitigated disaster. 

But, can you, as the font of all (ORLFC) knowledge statistically speaking, tell us how does this season compare with (say) the disaster of season 1969/70 where we also finished next to the bottom of the league ?

Ooooh.  That's a good question.  I'll have to do a bit of digging.

Of course, the actual fonts of knowledge are Mike and Mary Turner.  Those guys live and breathe the Oldham stats.

There was  a season with the new club when we lost every league match if I recall correctly.  We were playing at Boundary park and Steve Deakin was the coach.  Ironically, around 20 mins ago I was looking at the sttached pic of my daughter with me tucked in at the bottom from the back page of the Chron which was from the end of that season.

LostAll.jpg

May I say that your support for your club today in what is effectively a meaningless game was excellent and the result was a bit harsh on you as for long periods you were the better team but I suppose the experience of our aged half backs came good in the end. Who knows, we may still be in the same division again next year depending on which rumour you believe. 

7 hours ago, Steve the Roughyed said:

There was  a season with the new club when we lost every league match if I recall correctly.  We were playing at Boundary park and Steve Deakin was the coach.  Ironically, around 20 mins ago I was looking at the sttached pic of my daughter with me tucked in at the bottom from the back page of the Chron which was from the end of that season.

LostAll.jpg

Yeah i think we got walloped at home against widnes. Andy Gorey was playing for us at the time

11 hours ago, Steve the Roughyed said:

LostAll.jpg

2006 wasn't it we lost every game 

This feels like the end of an era in a sense-a disastrous season results wise, but some immense performances of will, effort and determination, barring two or three disastrous embarrassments. Brian Mac is worth reading on the Roughyeds’ website on that. Given that Owen, Joy and Bridge are retiring; the likes of Dupree, Ince and I think Reilly already signed elsewhere, in addition to the shocking (yet typical rugby league) uncertainty regarding funding, organisation and so on, leaves us in a state of limbo. Who will stay, who will go, which players we might target will already have been snapped up elsewhere. We seem to be behind the 8 ball even before next season is considered, never mind begun. With a sense of pride and gratitude for the efforts of coaches and players mixed in, I also feel deflated right at the moment. Yet I know that as soon as next season approaches I’ll be excited, stupidly optimistic, and expecting the worst. It’s called being a Roughyeds’ fan - and it ain’t going to go away.  

Yes Brian Mac is indeed worth reading...Surely praise indeed for the squad and chairman, I could hardly credit Brian coming to ORLFC, hes a winner, a  top coach!

The standard is extremely high in the Championship...and sad to say that ultimately its what a club can afford to pay just like most sport these days.

Lets hope Chris "Goes Again" re League one. though that scenario is far from clear regarding Central funding.

I mean has anyone got even a thought of what would transpire if even Chris cannot "Go Again?"

3 hours ago, eclecticsheep said:

Yes Brian Mac is indeed worth reading...Surely praise indeed for the squad and chairman, I could hardly credit Brian coming to ORLFC, hes a winner, a  top coach!

The standard is extremely high in the Championship...and sad to say that ultimately its what a club can afford to pay just like most sport these days.

Lets hope Chris "Goes Again" re League one. though that scenario is far from clear regarding Central funding.

I mean has anyone got even a thought of what would transpire if even Chris cannot "Go Again?"

Personally,I think the game is going to lose a few clubs if the central funding cut is as brutal as the numbers being tossed around. I am of the opinion that this club will be one of them. I hope I'm wrong but as we only have one director in the board I don't see where additional funding can come from.

By virtue of the draw at Swinton 2021 does not qualify as the worst season for the "new club". In 2006 we only managed 3 wins - 2 against Keighley in the Northern Rail Cup and a 34-10 victory over Saddleworth Rangers in the Challenge Cup at a snowy and cold Boundary Park. In the league the playing record was played 18 lost 18 with 944 points conceded. Top try scorer was Andy Gorey with 10 tries. 41 players were used in all with Ian Hodson topping the list with 23 appearances.

There was a point on Sunday when we were in danger of finishing outright bottom.  MIdway through the game we were losing and Swinton were beating Widnes.  Luckily —  if you can call it that — Widnes managed to overhaul the Lions and cemented them in bottom spot, despite us surrendering the lead late-on in our own game.

In truth, we were the worst team in the league.  Had our away game against Toulouse gone ahead the odds-on defeat would have pushed our win percentage down to match Swinton's but they'd have finished above us on points difference.

C'est la vie.

Stats-

Brierley-3 tackles. one miss. one offload. 6 tackle busts. 17 carries=86m

D Abram-one tackle. one offload. 3 tackle busts. one try assist. 12 carries=77m

Ince-10 tackles. one miss. 4 offloads. 6 tackle busts. 2 clean breaks. 21 carries=207m

Roberts-17 tackles. 4 misses. 2 offloads. 5 tackle busts. one clean break. 19 carries=123m

Holcroft-6 tackles. 2 misses. one tackle bust. 13 carries=69m

Charnock-19 tackles. 3 misses. one tackle bust. one try assist. 9 carries=46m

Spence-23 tackles. one miss. 9 carries=60m

Dupree-36 tackles. 4 misses. one offload. one tackle bust. 15 carries=98m

Owen-12 tackles. 3 misses. 0 carries

Kirk-40 tackles. one miss. 3 carries=32m

Langtree-15 tackles. 3 misses. one offload. 4 tackle busts. 8 carries=65m

Bent-50 tackles. one miss. one offload. 6 carries=33m

Bridge-52 tackles. 2 misses. one clean break. 15 carries=113m

subs

Reilly-45 tackles. one miss. 2 offloads. one tackle bust. 17 carries=82m

Nelmes-11 tackles. 2 tackle busts. 11 carries=80m