NRL TV viewership through the roof

Pulga

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It shows why we should sometimes ignore the naysayers. It wasn't long ago people were telling us the NRL was struggling due to one-sided contests. 

The sooner we just accept not every game will be a classic the better off we'll be. 

I'm still not exactly the biggest fan of the NRL admin at the moment but I am delighted that Rugby League is thriving over there.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

30 minutes ago, Southerner said:

Great news but has this got anything to do with the extensive lockdowns they’ve had this year? People stuck indoors etc….

There`s no question the hard lockdown in both Victoria and NSW has helped with the figures in those two states, but the increases in the other states which are currently under no lockdown restrictions, Queensland, South Australia and Western Australia show an underlying trend of growing interest in the game.

I have a suspicion that all the headlines this year about blow-out scorelines and the increase in scoring overall, which has been reported nationally, has in it` own perverse way been a form of positive publicity. Ultimately leading to a situation where a lot of people who may not be traditional Rugby League viewers during the year are now tuning in to see what all the fuss is about with this new fast-paced high scoring NRL, but have been waiting for the finals to see the best teams playing against each other. Hence the incredible ratings surge we are seeing during this years finals series.

It is worth noting that NRL FTA figures for the 2021 regular season were up 3% nationally as well.

4 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

I have a suspicion that all the headlines this year about blow-out scorelines and the increase in scoring overall, which has been reported nationally, has in it` own perverse way been a form of positive publicity in itself.

This is entirely right. As a sport, we are always looking for the negative and blow out scores are always taken as evidence of something gone wrong on here.

But if Chelsea or Man City were scoring 5 or 6 every week people would be piling in to see these goal scoring exploits.  Let's actually celebrate some of the skills we have in the game (and that's coming from someone who loves a tight physical content and thought the Panthers Eels game was one of the best of the year).

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

This is entirely right. As a sport, we are always looking for the negative and blow out scores are always taken as evidence of something gone wrong on here.

But if Chelsea or Man City were scoring 5 or 6 every week people would be piling in to see these goal scoring exploits.  Let's actually celebrate some of the skills we have in the game (and that's coming from someone who loves a tight physical content and thought the Panthers Eels game was one of the best of the year).

Yeah I`ve no doubt that all the headlines this year about high scores has piqued a lot of peoples interest, the same people who are now tuning in to see these high scoring teams playing each other.

With regard your observation Panthers/Eels ( I`d throw Souths/Panthers in there as well ) the thing I love about those tight classic semi-final scorelines is not that there are no scoring opportunities but in classic semi-final mode there are many try scoring opportunities that are dragged down literally centimetres from the line or bundled into touch metres out. And at the end of the day that`s all you need, I liken it to a soccer shot that hits the goalposts.

3 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

Yeah I`ve no doubt that all the headlines this year about high scores has piqued a lot of peoples interest, the same people who are now tuning in to see these high scoring teams playing each other.

With regard your observation Panthers/Eels ( I`d throw Souths/Panthers in there as well ) the thing I love about those tight classic semi-final scorelines is not that there are no scoring opportunities but in classic semi-final mode there are many try scoring opportunities that are dragged down literally centimetres from the line or bundled into touch metres out. And at the end of the day that`s all you need, I liken it to a soccer shot that hits the goalposts.

It's a great game isn't it?

It might just be the greatest game of all.

1 hour ago, fighting irish said:
1 hour ago, The Rocket said:

These games had tension, when one bit of brilliance or luck can change the game. This is what has been missing all season. 

These games had tension, when one bit of brilliance or luck can change the game. This is what has been missing all season. 

3 hours ago, Dunbar said:

One of the most famous and evocative moments in the history of Association Football was Pele teeing up Carlos Alberto for Brazil`s fourth goal in the 1970 WC final.

Soccer fans who possessed a specific strain of RL mindset would have missed it, since with about five minutes left and the score at 3-1 the result was probably no longer in doubt. Italian fans would have done the Wigan Walk after Jairzinho knocked in the third fifteen minutes earlier.

57 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

One of the most famous and evocative moments in the history of Association Football was Pele teeing up Carlos Alberto for Brazil`s fourth goal in the 1970 WC final.

Soccer fans who possessed a specific strain of RL mindset would have missed it, since with about five minutes left and the score at 3-1 the result was probably no longer in doubt. Italian fans would have done the Wigan Walk after Jairzinho knocked in the third fifteen minutes earlier.

Football is predominately my sport, and you’re spot on here. 

I’ve loved seeing Liverpool beat Newcastle 4-3 (twice, both last second winners) and also loved seeing us hammer Man Utd and Real Madrid by four goals (in the same week). A good hiding can be very entertaining, especially when it’s high quality. Barca beat Real Madrid 5-0, this game has over 73 million views on YouTube. Remember Federer destroying Hewitt in the US Open (might have been 6-0 6-0 6-1 or close to that, and it was jaw dropping stuff from the greatest player to ever pick up a racket). 

The only difference though is rugby (both codes) are combative, so a one sided beating might not have the same appeal. Mayweather’s dominance also made his fights boring, you wanted the other guy to connect with one. Mike Tyson was often dominant but his fights were over quick, so instant gratification. Having said that Joe Calzaghe delivered an exhibition against Jeff Lacy that went the distance, which was one of the most satisfying fights ever. Lomu scoring one try after another vs England was very entertaining. Could have watched another hour of him. I suppose it depends on the manner of the dominant performance.

1 hour ago, DC77 said:

Football is predominately my sport, and you’re spot on here. 

I’ve loved seeing Liverpool beat Newcastle 4-3 (twice, both last second winners) and also loved seeing us hammer Man Utd and Real Madrid by four goals (in the same week). A good hiding can be very entertaining, especially when it’s high quality. Barca beat Real Madrid 5-0, this game has over 73 million views on YouTube. Remember Federer destroying Hewitt in the US Open (might have been 6-0 6-0 6-1 or close to that, and it was jaw dropping stuff from the greatest player to ever pick up a racket). 

The only difference though is rugby (both codes) are combative, so a one sided beating might not have the same appeal. Mayweather’s dominance also made his fights boring, you wanted the other guy to connect with one. Mike Tyson was often dominant but his fights were over quick, so instant gratification. Having said that Joe Calzaghe delivered an exhibition against Jeff Lacy that went the distance, which was one of the most satisfying fights ever. Lomu scoring one try after another vs England was very entertaining. Could have watched another hour of him. I suppose it depends on the manner of the dominant performance.

For someone who has complained on here time and again that Rugby League is too oppressive and players are not allowed to showcase their skills any more, I would have thought you would be happier about seeing teams and players score points?

10 hours ago, Southerner said:

Great news but has this got anything to do with the extensive lockdowns they’ve had this year? People stuck indoors etc….

Well I’m watching more than usual because I’m stuck at home in the evenings. I’m allowed out for up to two hours but that’s usually through the day for me.

Large parts of the country have barely known a lockdown though.

Some of my friends in Queensland have never had a lockdown, sometimes have to wear a mask and life hasn’t really changed at all during the entire pandemic. Their towns have never had a known case of the virus.

The NRL is (thankfully) a wonderful product that continues to go from strength to strength.

Unfortunately the game in England is unable to keep pace, and is in reality regressing year on year.

The problem with this, is that Rugby League is in danger of becoming a "one competition sport" whereby the NRL becomes the only show in town and starts to dictate the terms for the sport globally (as we have seen with them effectively stopping a World Cup from taking place this year, for example).

It is up to the RFL/SuperLeague to get their house in order, and fast, as otherwise the NRL will be the only professional competition in world RL in a few years time. 

7 hours ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

The NRL is (thankfully) a wonderful product that continues to go from strength to strength.

Unfortunately the game in England is unable to keep pace, and is in reality regressing year on year.

The problem with this, is that Rugby League is in danger of becoming a "one competition sport" whereby the NRL becomes the only show in town and starts to dictate the terms for the sport globally (as we have seen with them effectively stopping a World Cup from taking place this year, for example).

It is up to the RFL/SuperLeague to get their house in order, and fast, as otherwise the NRL will be the only professional competition in world RL in a few years time. 

This isn't a thread about the quality of SL. 

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

But if the fly-by-night scottsman has a chance to have a go at SL he will - he just needs a glimmer of a chance and he's in..... the irony is he's never been to an NRL match in his life.

Anyhow back on subject- to be honest with the state of Australian TV if you were stuck indoors for months your only real decent TV option would be the NRL games - so obviously TV viewing will increase.

Just now, Mr Frisky said:

But if the fly-by-night scottsman has a chance to have a go at SL he will - he just needs a glimmer of a chance and he's in..... the irony is he's never been to an NRL match in his life.

Anyhow back on subject- to be honest with the state of Australian TV if you were stuck indoors for months your only real decent TV option would be the NRL games - so obviously TV viewing will increase.

I like Masterchef Australia too. 

21 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I like Masterchef Australia too. 

Not so much with the "new" judges.

Although, I presume this lot pay their staff and their taxes.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

He's just a troll mate, in a kilt.

As an aside, I'm sure I heard Simon Johnson say SKY's viewing figures for SuperLeague were up too.

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

No Dave, but it is a thread about the popularity of the NRL, and that in itself can be (perversely) a "threat" to the development of the worldwide game. We are fast approaching a situation where the NRL "is" professional Rugby League, and all the control that comes with that status. 

If you were as diligent in pulling up every thread which digressed slightly from its original point, you would be on here every day pulling up the same old duffers who somehow link anything in the modern game to something that happened at Post Office Road in the 1960s. You don't, though. 

Archived