North American Rugby League

RobertAM

Just started watching the match and my first impressions are that there are some fit and highly skilled players on show. It's a much higher standard than a couple of USARL games I've watched in the last few weeks. The stadium atmosphere and the floodlights helps a great deal with creating the impression of 'pro' football. Really enjoying it so far. 

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

Just started watching the match and my first impressions are that there are some fit and highly skilled players on show. It's a much higher standard than a couple of USARL games I've watched in the last few weeks. The stadium atmosphere and the floodlights helps a great deal with creating the impression of 'pro' football. Really enjoying it so far. 

I have not watched it yet and I could not make it to the game in person.   Lots of favourable comments on social media about number 5, presumably of the Wolfpack.  Let me know your opinion of him please. 

1 hour ago, Cameron Highlander said:

I have not watched it yet and I could not make it to the game in person.   Lots of favourable comments on social media about number 5, presumably of the Wolfpack.  Let me know your opinion of him please. 

You have to watch it. I'm loving it. Both no. 5's are very athletic. The Toronto second rows look value for money too. I wonder where some of these players were when Brian Noble was looking for ''home grown'' talent. 

On 19/09/2021 at 16:47, Big Picture said:

According to Robert Burgin of the Brazilian RL, the NRL won't even give organizers in other countries rule books because they're the NRL's intellectual property so I wouldn't anticipate them helping much.

I regularly see games in developing RL countries where it`s clear the players and officials do not know the rules. The most recent example was a livestream from Ghana.

When I`ve raised this on other threads, there are some who take the view - "Don`t be fussy, they`ll pick it up as they go along".

The purpose of the RL rulebook is to ensure the game is the best it can be to play and watch. Without a collectively understood framework of rules RL can degenerate into a mess that`s neither enjoyable to play nor to watch.

For instance, when the rules relating to square markers at the ruck are not sufficiently grasped, the result is that the dummy-half is continually suffocated, and the players get little chance to do much with the ball. A game never really gets going and we lose the opportunity to hook people almost before we`ve started.

In new countries, where the players come from RU, I continue to believe a large part of this problem is due to the promotion of RL as a simple game as distinct from complex RU. - "just run hard, tackle hard, that`s all you need to know, mate".

According to Robert Burgin of the Brazilian RL, the NRL won't even give organizers in other countries rule books because they're the NRL's intellectual property so I wouldn't anticipate them helping much.

I find that very odd. The international laws of the game can be got from the RLF as a booklet or as a download. 

It's quite possible training materials are copyright but again the RFL publish a lot of good stuff if they bother to look. 

I find that very odd. The international laws of the game can be got from the RLF as a booklet or as a download. 

It's quite possible training materials are copyright but again the RFL publish a lot of good stuff if they bother to look. 

4 hours ago, fighting irish said:

Agree with this, some excellent players on show. 

Was impressed myself by Toronto’s full back (Blake Mahovic) who after a quick google turns out to be a Cumbrian who had a stint in Wigan’s academy as well as some time at Manchester Rangers.

To fighting irish.....I do not know if it was spoken about on the game film but Blake Wallace was here in Toronto last Saturday.  He married a Canadian girl (courtesy of his tenure for 3 seasons with the Toronto Wolfpack - iteration #1)  and I think that they were paying a visit prior to heading to Australia.  He has had to retire from playing due to injuries.  He and Ryan Burroughs shared coaching duties for the D.C. Cavalry and since Ryan was on the field Blake was the sideline coach.  All just FYI.

10 hours ago, welshmagpie said:

Agree with this, some excellent players on show. 

Was impressed myself by Toronto’s full back (Blake Mahovic) who after a quick google turns out to be a Cumbrian who had a stint in Wigan’s academy as well as some time at Manchester Rangers.

Former Egremont Rangers player who won representative honours with Barla & the England Community Lions.

Due to them changing the rules every year they’d be useless anyway.

Think I posted this earlier this season but one of the top men in the US league was telling me the clubs are seriously cashed up via tv money and individuals that they will be looking to take the better players from SL and some from the NRL. It’s amazing who you meet in the corporate at Leigh. He was talking $5m min salary spends which he said was nothing in US terms. Good on them and success there will really help us here

30 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Think I posted this earlier this season but one of the top men in the US league was telling me the clubs are seriously cashed up via tv money and individuals that they will be looking to take the better players from SL and some from the NRL. It’s amazing who you meet in the corporate at Leigh. He was talking $5m min salary spends which he said was nothing in US terms. Good on them and success there will really help us here

You seriously believe that. Who's going to offer a multi million pound TV contract to a competition that doesn't even exist yet and is made up currently of amateur teams. Someone has been having you on 

33 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

The NARLs broadcast deal was with SportsFlick who are now not operating…

1 hour ago, sweaty craiq said:

I've got this bridge you might be interested in buying

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

18 hours ago, fighting irish said:

Just as a comparison, the Cavalry beat Philadelphia Fight earlier this year 86 - 6. This Wolfpack sounds pretty decent.

new rise.jpg

20 hours ago, Tabby said:

You are an optimist. I’ll give you that.

Ha ha ha, aren't you?

It's like looking forward to having sex with my wife.

I loved it and I'm looking forward to the next time, but I've got no idea when it might happen.

On 21/09/2021 at 09:39, OriginalMrC said:

You seriously believe that. Who's going to offer a multi million pound TV contract to a competition that doesn't even exist yet and is made up currently of amateur teams. Someone has been having you on 

The teams have budgets of £400,000 dollars each 

Its a start im guessing 

Archived