Belle Vue 1962

1 hour ago, weloveyouwakefield2 said:

This photo is from 1962 at Belle Vue , Wakefield fan Jon noble found it in his loft, quite a iconic picture I think I doubt many were taken at this event.

so anyone know what the event was ? 095F0AD9-8EBF-4736-98D0-9191FEFD8324.jpeg.1f2dee95134af24c3b68e65ac5c47a11.jpeg

Think it maybe part of the film This Sporting Life not shown in edited down version.Started work on the movie April 1962 and much of the ground scenes were at Belle Vue with a couple shot at Thrum Hall Halifax.When Richard Harris(Machin) gets laid out the crowd scenes were shot when Trinity played Wigan in a Cup Tie with a crowd of 28,524 of which i was one.Wakey won 5-4 after a tense struggle in which neither side scored in the last half hour.My brother in law was the big lad charging the doors of Wakefields Mecca were The Ridings are now in the film when the players entered.My dad was in a crowd scene in The Dolphin pub.

1 hour ago, Father Ted said:

Was at that Cup Tie, traveled over by train as there was no M62 back then. 

5-4 but good games don't need big scores.I remember Wigan coming over and beating Wakey 2-0 but still a good game.Different times different game who is to say todays full time players are any better than those of 50+ years ago NOT ME.Remember in the early sixties Wakey had  won 28 on the trot .They played Batley at The Mount and drew either 0-0 or 2-2 such was the game in those days.

9 hours ago, sentoffagain2 said:

5-4 but good games don't need big scores.I remember Wigan coming over and beating Wakey 2-0 but still a good game.Different times different game who is to say todays full time players are any better than those of 50+ years ago NOT ME.Remember in the early sixties Wakey had  won 28 on the trot .They played Batley at The Mount and drew either 0-0 or 2-2 such was the game in those days.

The era thing is a misnomer. Even though I was still in school in the early 90s, you could hook the ball at the scrums, strike at the play the ball and defences were 5m metres back.

Had I been a kid now with 40/20s, 10m and 6 again I would simply adapt my game.

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Has Belle Vue changed at all since then? 

At the far end where the monstrosity like a block of flats are was a decent standing terrace with a large covered stand.Only other major thing is there was a main wooden stand  to the right as you come in from the Belle Vue end with a passage running under it so supporters could change ends.The dressing rooms were under the stand and you could get a right niff of embrocation and rubbing oils as you passed through.The stand was made of wood so had to come down over safety concerns after the Bradford City fire..Wooden scoreboard at the Belle Vue end came down and that's about it.The ground is over 130 years old and it's a disgrace that Wakefield City Council have not helped fund a new stadium with up to date facilities.

29 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

At the far end where the monstrosity like a block of flats are was a decent standing terrace with a large covered stand.Only other major thing is there was a main wooden stand  to the right as you come in from the Belle Vue end with a passage running under it so supporters could change ends.The dressing rooms were under the stand and you could get a right niff of embrocation and rubbing oils as you passed through.The stand was made of wood so had to come down over safety concerns after the Bradford City fire..Wooden scoreboard at the Belle Vue end came down and that's about it.The ground is over 130 years old and it's a disgrace that Wakefield City Council have not helped fund a new stadium with up to date facilities.

This attitude doesn't sit well with me. It is not up to Wakefield City Council to bale out 130 years of incompetence on the part of Wakefield Trinity. Yes it would be nice if they did, yes their may have been broken promises and all the rest that has gone on but Wakefield Trinity have to ultimately take responsibility for decades of neglect when it comes to Belle Vue.

33 minutes ago, Agbrigg said:

Neil Fox and Fred Smith, but dont recognise the guy in the middle

Roy Bell?  Fev, Wakey and Cas.  Mr Las Palmas might have some details although he may have edited the Wakey bits out. 😉

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

33 minutes ago, Damien said:

This attitude doesn't sit well with me. It is not up to Wakefield City Council to bale out 130 years of incompetence on the part of Wakefield Trinity. Yes it would be nice if they did, yes their may have been broken promises and all the rest that has gone on but Wakefield Trinity have to ultimately take responsibility for decades of neglect when it comes to Belle Vue.

Can you name a Super League club who has updated their facilities without the support of their local council? 

1 hour ago, Agbrigg said:

Who would have thought back then that in over 50 years time there would be a pandemic and the same rent a crowd technology would be used at live games.

Neil Fox and Fred Smith, but dont recognise the guy in the middle

Think it's Roy Bell if so i played against him after he retired .He was player Coach at Bentley about 1971 we drew 13-13.Really good player when young but probably didn't progress as expected.Still a good player though.

12 minutes ago, M j M said:

Can you name a Super League club who has updated their facilities without the support of their local council? 

You are changing the debate, support is a different question than funding a new stadium. Warrington and Saints did not have a council that funded a new stadium. Wakefield did get support to buy Belle Vue back.

2 hours ago, Damien said:

You are changing the debate, support is a different question than funding a new stadium. Warrington and Saints did not have a council that funded a new stadium. Wakefield did get support to buy Belle Vue back.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the councils in each case gave planning permission for enabling developments which funded the stadia. 

Just now, M j M said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but the councils in each case gave planning permission for enabling developments which funded the stadia. 

Planning permission does tend to be the bread and butter of what a council does. Again nothing to do with funding.

7 minutes ago, Damien said:

Planning permission does tend to be the bread and butter of what a council does. Again nothing to do with funding.

Come on they were major developments granted specifically with the intent of getting new stadia for the local sports teams. That was known throughout the process. 

20 minutes ago, M j M said:

Come on they were major developments granted specifically with the intent of getting new stadia for the local sports teams. That was known throughout the process. 

You seem intent on a different debate and I'm not really interested in whatever you are trying to shift the argument to. They did not have councils that funded new stadiums, that is a fact. RL clubs shouldn't have an expectation that councils will fund new stadiums because they have chosen to not invest in their existing stadiums over many decades and have instead chosen to spend their money elsewhere.

55 minutes ago, M j M said:

Yes that is why they are called enabling developments. Neither St Helens nor Warrington councils provided any funding for the projects. 

I will be extremely happy if Belle Vue gets developed and so will every other Trinity fan. It's so frustrating seeing this seemingly endless saga. However on the plus side , I will miss seeing some of the planks and trolls getting wound up everytime there is a thread about Belle Vue. 

Archived