Bristol’s Golden Ferns

According to this article, Bristol’s Golden Ferns are to become the first semi-professional women’s club in the UK.

https://www.allgoldsrugby.co.uk/womens-rugby-a-european-first/

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

47 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

According to this article, Bristol’s Golden Ferns are to become the first semi-professional women’s club in the UK.

https://www.allgoldsrugby.co.uk/womens-rugby-a-european-first/

"Semi-professional" is an elastic term. Not too many details in the article. Nonetheless, an intriguing development.

In other news, I`ve been puzzled why Ireland women have been making various UK-based and Ireland-based extended squad announcements recently.

Now it`s become clear. - They`ve just released their 24-player squad for an international against Wales on October 17th in Colwyn Bay.

Wonder if @fighting irish has any thoughts?

10 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

"Semi-professional" is an elastic term. Not too many details in the article. Nonetheless, an intriguing development.

In other news, I`ve been puzzled why Ireland women have been making various UK-based and Ireland-based extended squad announcements recently.

Now it`s become clear. - They`ve just released their 24-player squad for an international against Wales on October 17th in Colwyn Bay.

Wonder if @fighting irish has any thoughts?

I'm just excited that there are people involved, who are trying to promote the sport on our behalf. 

2 hours ago, fighting irish said:

I'm just excited that there are people involved, who are trying to promote the sport on our behalf. 

I was interested in your thoughts because I`m assuming you`re a Welshman with Irish heritage.

The fact that the Irish have been able to arrange their inaugural women`s international with Wales only a few months after their first domestic competition is testimony to an inspiring level of initiative in IRL and WRL.

It`s generally accepted in the men`s game that a major advantage Union has in the British Isles is that the four home nations are consistently competitive enough to ensure a Northern Hemisphere international schedule that keeps public and media interested. Whereas in League, ever since the decline of France, England have no genuine NH rivals.

Because of the "entry level" factors @Damien has mentioned on other threads, the women`s game could be different. A thriving NH international set-up could evolve. Wales, Ireland, France, possibly even Scotland in time, could all be at a comparable level.

In relation to the thread topic, there`s no reason why an England team consisting of players from the South of England couldn`t be added to the mix.

Not quite related but we have a Golden Fern Box in Hull...

Luke Campbell gets gold telephone box after Olympic boxing win | Metro News

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

Archived