Match Thread: Championship Semi-final, Featherstone Rovers v Halifax Saturday-2nd-October-2021

The Phantom Horseman

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Fevrover said:

Not going to be easy against Fax but  they let in FOUR tries  against Haven at Home so that tells a tale in its self.

We let 3 tries in against Haven who were not playing as well at that stage of the season.I agree it won't be easy against Fax but it's in our own hands.That chip over the top and try for Lewis against Warrington is the type of move we need in our locker just in case.

Thought Batley were bang average at best. Halifax were the best of the four and will take some beating. As long as we prepare correctly and take nothing for granted we should win. We have a number of top quality players at this level and far more than Halifax imo. We also have a couple of xfactor players such as Chizzy and Hall who should relish the big game but I don't see those type of players in the Fax squad.

3 hours ago, Monkeymagic22 said:

I think our match should be relatively close, but can't see any way that Batley get within 20-30 of Toulouse. 

Lucky for you we are playing them then, as we certainly got a lot closer than that to Fev in our 3 games and we are the only team to go in front against Toulouse in a match.

It's their first home game of the season, nervous in front of a big crowd... I'm with Blue Ox on a Fax Batley final at the shay, and we know how that will go 😉

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

54 minutes ago, Squidward said:

Thought Batley were bang average at best. Halifax were the best of the four and will take some beating. 

OMG you're even starting to sound like Fax fans of a few years ago lol

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

2 hours ago, Piggy's mate said:

OMG you're even starting to sound like Fax fans of a few years ago lol

Fax were the best of the four but Batley played as well as i have seen them play all season.They do the basics well and Gilmore has a good kicking game.Just waiting for Blue Ox coming on and saying how Fax have no chance and they were lucky to beat Haven.I bet Oxy is a good poker player.

40 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Fax were the best of the four but Batley played as well as i have seen them play all season.They do the basics well and Gilmore has a good kicking game.Just waiting for Blue Ox coming on and saying how Fax have no chance and they were lucky to beat Haven.I bet Oxy is a good poker player.

Bookies agree, we have 28 points start if you want a £1 bet with Sky Bet. In all fairness we shouldnt have any chance but it makes it intriguing with the previous history and we have not got anything to lose with all the pressure on Fev.

6 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Bookies agree, we have 28 points start if you want a £1 bet with Sky Bet. In all fairness we shouldnt have any chance but it makes it intriguing with the previous history and we have not got anything to lose with all the pressure on Fev.

Bring it on and if the best team wins on the night there will be no complaints from me.I can't speak for some of the others though.

1 hour ago, The Blues Ox said:

That previous history thing makes me laugh.  Im sure the vast majority of players from both sides aren't giving it a second thought

20 minutes ago, RobLambert said:

That previous history thing makes me laugh.  Im sure the vast majority of players from both sides aren't giving it a second thought

It is sometimes better to go in as underdog.When i played at National Conference Level i couldn't be Rsed when we were winning easily.But i was often the best player in our side when we got beat.

16 hours ago, Squidward said:

Thought Batley were bang average at best.

I thought Batley were really efficient and solid in the first half. You're never going to look impressive coming uphill in the second half in a tight game and they didn't help themselves with a poor completion rate, plus they got the wrong end of a couple of 50-50 calls, but they still played the better football. They're a well-coached team, suspect Toulouse will be a step too far for them but hope I'm wrong.

12 hours ago, RobLambert said:

I doubt for Fev it will be mentioned at all but for Fax I expect it to be mentioned a lot. Theres still enough people at the club from those days that will be making people aware of it. 

2 hours ago, Rovers fev said:

Should be a good game last time we played fax at home they were quick with ball only difference in first half was Chizzy and his kicking game 

And a difference of 32 points but expecting a lot closer score this  time.

Keys to winning this one for me:
1. As always, keep the errors within a reasonable range. I'll be surprised if they can beat us with a lower completion rate than us.

2. Keep defensive discipline on the left hand side of the field. We have 2 players on that side whose inclination is to look for the interception, that's paid off a lot this season but think we need to be tighter in the play-offs. I'm hoping Chisholm (assuming he's selected!) remembers the York game away in 2019 where Harris baited him into going for the intercept with a double pump which Chissy bit on leading to a walk-in score that proved decisive... Harris taunted him quite aggressively after that try so he should remember. 

Harris is very good at that double pump/delayed pass (did it again against Whitehaven) and plays on that side of the field, and Woodburn-Hall created a try against us in the league fixture by the same method against Chissy.

3. By the same token - attack them on their right edge, I think some of their goal-line defence on that side when I have seen them this season has been poor and the try they conceded to Ryan King against Whitehaven was dreadfully soft defence. That should be where Chissy comes into his own.

We might need to be patient and hopefully will not be thinking it will be easy after putting 50+ on them last time as we did score a few freak tries that day, but hopefully we'll have too much for them as the game goes on.

2 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Keys to winning this one for me:
1. As always, keep the errors within a reasonable range. I'll be surprised if they can beat us with a lower completion rate than us.

2. Keep defensive discipline on the left hand side of the field. We have 2 players on that side whose inclination is to look for the interception, that's paid off a lot this season but think we need to be tighter in the play-offs. I'm hoping Chisholm (assuming he's selected!) remembers the York game away in 2019 where Harris baited him into going for the intercept with a double pump which Chissy bit on leading to a walk-in score that proved decisive... Harris taunted him quite aggressively after that try so he should remember. 

Harris is very good at that double pump/delayed pass (did it again against Whitehaven) and plays on that side of the field, and Woodburn-Hall created a try against us in the league fixture by the same method against Chissy.

3. By the same token - attack them on their right edge, I think some of their goal-line defence on that side when I have seen them this season has been poor and the try they conceded to Ryan King against Whitehaven was dreadfully soft defence. That should be where Chissy comes into his own.

We might need to be patient and hopefully will not be thinking it will be easy after putting 50+ on them last time as we did score a few freak tries that day, but hopefully we'll have too much for them as the game goes on.

Agree with a lot of that. You wont get much change from our left side and Worthington as you know where as our right side will have Harris there and his defence is our weak link over there. Our problem will be creating things with Robinson and Harris likely in the halves and Grix at Fullback presuming that JWH is not fit which at the moment seems to be the case but it could be the last game so Im sure they will do what they can to make sure he plays.

Way I see it is that Fev need to put us to bed by half time, our best chance is to still be in the game after about 60 minutes where I would expect Fev to start getting nervous. Even worse for Fev would be for us to be in front at that point and having to force the play. We know we can score points against Fev but our defence has been very much hit and miss in the 2nd half of the season.

Apologies, John Drake asked me to put this weekend's match threads up so I did without realising this thread had started.

I'll see whether he wants to add this to mine  or delete mine and just bung this up as it.

I don't have the moderating power to do it.

Edit : Also just noticed this is under the Fev bit of the forum so I'm guessing it may be left as it is.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

1 hour ago, Old Frightful said:

Apologies, John Drake asked me to put this weekend's match threads up so I did without realising this thread had started.

I'll see whether he wants to add this to mine  or delete mine and just bung this up as it.

Edit : Also just noticed this is under the Fev bit of the forum so I'm guessing it may be left as it is.

I think you are spot on with your last comment.

4 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

They should be kicked out of the league for it.

5 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

We always have  a match thread on our own board with being outcasts and what not... 

Archived